Microwave properties for a bilayer structure made of the high-temperature superconducting and the ferromagnetic materials are theoretically investigated. The properties are explored through the effective surface impedance calculated by using the enhanced two-fluid model for high-temperature superconductors together with the transmission line theory. The calculated effective surface impedance will be numerically analyzed as a function of the frequency, the temperature, and the thicknesses of the constituent layers. It is found that, for a thinner superconducting film, the effective surface resistance is a strong function of the frequency, and the effective surface reactance exhibits a peak and a dip in the frequency-domain. In the study of the effect of thickness in ferromagnetic substrate, there is a peak frequency in the surface reactance for a thinner substrate. There is also a threshold thickness for the ferromagnetic substrate such that it behaves like a bulk substrate when its thickness is larger than this threshold value. In the temperature dependence of surface reactance, the peak near critical temperature is shifted to lower temperature and broadened as the film thickness decreases.
4. Porch, A. and M. J. Lancaster, "Introduction to the special issue of the proceedings of the 9th symposium on high temperature superconductors in high frequency fields," J. Supercond. Novel Magn., Vol. 20, No. 1, 2007. doi:10.1007/s10948-006-0211-6
5. Lancaster, M. J., Passive Microwave Device Applications of High-temperature Superconductors, University of Birmingham, 1997. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511526688
6. Wu, C.-J., C.-M. Fu, and T.-J. Yang, "Microwave surface impedance of a nearly ferroelectric superconductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 39-47, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030502
7. Wu, C.-J., Y.-L. Chen, and Y.-S. Tsai, "Effective surface impedance for a superconductor-semiconductor superlattic at mid-infrared frequency," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1441-1453, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476419
8. Wu, C.-J., "Thickness-dependent effective surface resistances of nearly ferroelectric superconductors," Phys. Lett. A, Vol. 364, 163-166, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physleta.2006.11.101
9. Wu, C.-J., "Microwave response of a nearly ferroelectric superconductor," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 100, 063908-1-6, 2006.
10. Wu, C.-J., "Effective microwave surface impedance of a type-II superconducting thin film in the parallel magnetic field," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 93, 3450-3456, 2003.
11. Duzer, T. V. and C. W. Turner, Principle of Superconductive Devices and Circuits, Elsevier, New York, 1981.
12. Klein, N., H. Chaloupka, G. Muller, S. Orbach, H. Piel, B. Roas, L. Schultz, U. Klein, and M. Peiniger, "The effective microwave surface impedance of high Tc thin films," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 67, 6940-6945, 1990. doi:10.1063/1.345037
13. Wu, C.-J., "Tunable microwave characteristics of a superconducting planar transmission line by using a nonlinear dielectric thin film," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 87, 493-497, 2000. doi:10.1063/1.371889
14. Pompeo, N., R. Marcon, and E. Silva, "Substrate contribution to the surface impedance of HTS films on Si," J. Supercond. Novel Magn., Vol. 19, 611-615, 2006.
15. Lin, J. G., D. Hsu, A. Mani, and T. G. Kumary, "Utilizing the superconducting bilayer as a spintronic sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 370, Moscow, Russia, August 18-21, 2009.
16. Tsutsumi, M., T. Fukusako, and S. Yoshida, "Propgation characteristics of the magnetostatic surface wave in YBCO-YIG film-layered structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 44, 1410-1415, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.536023
17. Hamada, M. S., M. M. Shabat, M. M. Abd Elaal, and D. Jager, "Characteristics of TM surface waves in a nonlinear antiferromagnet-semiconductor-superconductor waveguide structure," J. Supercond., Vol. 16, 443-447, 2003. doi:10.1023/A:1023627217319
18. Wu, C.-J., "Field solution of nonlinear magnetic surface wave for a planar superconductor-antiferromagnet transmission line," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 104, 063909-063909-5, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2980343
19. Pimenov, A., A. Loidl, P. Przyslupski, and B. Dabrowski, "Negative refraction in ferromagnet-superconductor superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 247009, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.247009
20. Faure, M., A. I. Buzdin, and D. Gusakova, "On the theory of ferromagnet/superconductor heterostructures," Physica C, Vol. 454, 61-69, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.physc.2007.01.013
21. Vendik, O. G., I. B. Vendik, and D. I. Kaparkov, "Empirical model of the microwave properties of high-temperature supercon-ductors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Technology, Vol. 46, 469-478, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.668643
22. Nurgaliev, T., "Numerical investigation of the surface impedance of ferromagnetic manganite thin films," J. Magn. Magn. Mat., Vol. 320, 304-311, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.jmmm.2007.06.005
23. Nurgaliev, T., "Modeling of the microwave characteristics of layered superconductor/ferromagnetic structures," Physica C, Vol. 468, 912-919, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.physc.2008.04.001
24. Moser, E. K., W. J. Tomasch, M. W. Coffey, C. L. Pettiette-Hall, and S. M. Schwarzbek, "Microwave properties of YBa2Cu3O7-δ films at 35 GHz from magnetotransmission and megnetoreflection measurements," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 49, 4199-4208, 1994. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.49.4199
25. Gozzelino, L., F. Laviano, P. Przyslupski, A. Tsarou, A. Wisniewski, D. Botta, R. Gerbaldo, and G. Ghigo, "Quantitative magneto-optical analysis of twinned YBa2Cu3O7-δ/LaSrMnO bi-layers," Supercond. Sci. Technol., Vol. 19, 50-54, 2006. doi:10.1088/0953-2048/19/3/007