A system has been developed for measuring the complex permittivity of low loss materials at frequencies from 500 MHz to 7 GHz and over a temperature range up to 1500°C using stripline resonator cavity method. Details of the design and fabrication of the cavity were discussed. Particular features related to high-temperature operation were described. An improved resonance method at high temperature for determining complex dielectric properties of low-loss materials was developed. The calculation process was given by a physical model of the stripline resonator cavity at high temperature. The paper brought forward the method of segmentation calculation according to the temperature changes over the cavity, which matched the actual situation of high temperature measurements. We have verified the proposed method from measurements of some typical samples with the available reference data in the literature.
"Broadband Complex Permittivity Measurement of Low Loss Materials Over
Large Temperature Ranges by Stripline Resonator Cavity Using Segmentation Calculation Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 143-160, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10112402
1. Hasar, U. C., "Unique permittivity determination of low-loss dielectric materials from transmission measurements at microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 31-46, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060805
2. Hasar, U. C. and E. A. OralA, "Metric function for fast and accurate permittivity determination of low-to-high-loss materials from reflection measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 394-412, 2010.
3. Hauschild, T. and R. K. Ochel, "Measurement of complex permittivity of solids up to 1000°C," Microwave Symposium Digest, 1687-1690, San Francisco, CA, USA, June 17-21, 1996.
4. Gershon, D. L., J. P. Calame, Y. Carmel, T. M. Antonsen, Jr., and R. M. Hutcheon, "Open-ended coaxial probe for high-temperature and broad-band dielectric measurements," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 56, No. 3, 684-692, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.916986
5. Ma, L. X., H. Zhang, and C. X. Zhang, "Analysis on the reflection characteristic of electromagnetic wave incidence in closed nonmagnetized plasma," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 17-18, 2285-2296, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787543877
6. Wang, Z., W. Che, and L. Zhou., "Uncertainty analysis of the rational function model used in the complex permittivity measurement of biological tissues using PMCT probes within a wide microwave frequency band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 137-150, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010403
7. Baeraky, T. A., "Microwave measurements of dielectric properties of zinc oxide at high temperature," Egyptian Journal of Solids, Vol. 30, No. 1, 13-18, 2007.
8. Li, Y., J. Li, and X. He, "Study on high temperature dielectric properties of magnetic window materials by cavity resonator method," Journal of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 23, No. 2, 157-160, April 2004.
9. Li, E., Z.-P. Nie, G. Guo, Q. Zhang, Z. Li, and F. He, "Broadband measurements of dielectric properties of low-loss materials at high temperatures using circular cavity method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 103-120, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030904
10. Waldron, R. A., "Theory of a strip-line cavity for measurement of dielectric constants and gyromagnetic-resonance line-widths," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technology, Vol. 12, No. 1, 123-131, 1964. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1964.1125760
11. Waldron, R. A., "Theory of the strip-line cavity resonator," Marconi Rev., Vol. 27, 30-42, 1964.
12. Maxwell, S., "A stripline cavity resonator for measurement of ferrites," Microwave J., Vol. 9, 99-102, 1966.
13. Maxwell, S., "Strip-line cavity resonator for measurement of magnetic and dielectric properties of ferrites at low microwave frequencies," Marconi Rev., Vol. 27, 22-29, 1964.
14. Musal, H. M., "Demagnetization effect in strip-line cavity measurements," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 28, No. 5, 3129-3131, 1992. doi:10.1109/20.179734
15. Jones, C. A., "Permeability and permittivity measurements using stripline resonator cavities: A comparison," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 48, No. 4, 843-848, 1999. doi:10.1109/19.779187
16. Weil, C. M., C. A. Jones, Y. Kantur, and J. H. Grosvenor, Jr., "On RF material characterization in the stripline cavity," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 2, 266-275, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.821774
17. Wheeler, H. A., "Transmission-line properties of a strip line between parallel planes," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 11, 866-876, 1978. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1978.1129505
18. Crampagne, R., M. Ahmadpanah, and J.-L. Guiraud, "A simple method for determining the Green's function for a large class of MIC lines having multilayered dielectric structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 2, 82-87, 1978. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1978.1129317
19. Shackelford, J. F. and W. Alexander, CRC Materials and Engineering Handbook, CRC Press, 2001.