A novel approach to moving target detection is proposed for dual-channel SAR system. This approach is on the basis of eigen-decomposition of the sample covariance matrix and examines the statistic of the second eigenvalue and the Along-Track Interferometric (ATI) phase for ground moving target indication. Based on this statistic, a new Constant False Alarm Rate (CFAR) detector can be designed to solve the problem of GMTI. To detect slow moving targets more accurately, the second eigenvalue and the ATI phase pre-thresholds are implemented before a CFAR detector. Experimental results on measured SAR data are presented to demonstrate that this novel detector has wider range of detection velocity and lower false alarm probability.
"A Novel Moving Target Detection Approach for Dual-Channel SAR System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 191-206, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10120107
1. Zhang, Y.-D., L. Wu, and G. Wei, "A new classifier for polarimetric SAR images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 83-104, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041905
2. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100301
3. Sun, J., S. Mao, G.Wang, and W. Hong, "Extended exact transfer function algorithm for bistatic SAR of translational invariant case," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 89-108, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091203
4. Sun, J., S. Mao, G. Wang, and W. Hong, "Polar format algorithm for spotlight bistatic SAR with arbitrary geometry configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 323-338, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030703
5. Zhao, Y. W., M. Zhang, and H. Chen, "An efficient ocean SAR raw signal simulation by employing fast fourier transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2273-2284, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699064
6. Raney, R. K., "Synthetic aperture imaging radar and moving targets," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 7, No. 3, 499-505, May 1971. doi:10.1109/TAES.1971.310292
7. Zhang, L., H.-D. Guo, and C.-M. Han, "Moving targets detection in SAR images based on sub-aperture decomposition," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 36, No. 6, 1210-1213, 2008.
8. Soumekh, M., "Moving target detection and imaging using an X-band along-track monopulse SAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 38, No. 1, 315-333, 2002. doi:10.1109/7.993255
9. Nohara, T. J. and P. Weber, "SAR-GMIT processing with Canada's radarsat2 satellite," Adaptive System for Signal Processing, Communications, and Control Symposium, 379-384, Lake Louise, Alta, October 1--4, 2000.
10. Pascazio, V., G. Schirinzi, and A. Farina, "Moving target detection by along-track interferometry," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 3024-3026, Sydney, NSW, July 9--13, 2001.
11. Chapin, E. and C. W. Chen, "Airborne along-track interferometry for GMTI," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 5, 13-18, 2009. doi:10.1109/MAES.2009.5109948
12. Gierull, C. H., "Statistics of SAR interferograms with application to moving target detection," Technical Report TR 2001-045, Defence Research and Development, 26-40, Canada, July 2001.
13. Gong, Q. and Z.-D. Zhu, "Study stap algorithm on interference target detect under non-homogenous environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 211-224, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09101502
14. Sikaneta, I., C. Gierull, and J. Y. Houinard, "Metrics for SAR-GMTI based on eigen-decomposition of the sample covariance matrix," IEEE National Radar Conference, 442-477, Adelaide, Australia, September 3--5, 2003.
15. Sikaneta, I. C. and J. Y. Houinard, "Eigen-decomposition of the multi-channel covariance matrix with applications to SAR-GMTI," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 84, No. 9, 1501-1535, 2004.
16. Fornaro, G. and G. Franceschetti, "Image registration in interferometric SAR processing," IEE Proc. --- Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 142, No. 6, 313-320, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:19952174
17. Soumekh, M., "Signal subspace fusion of uncalibrated sensors with application in SAR and diagnostic medicine," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 8, No. 1, 127-137, 1999. doi:10.1109/83.736707
18. Ender, J. H. G., "The airborne experimental multi-channel SAR system AER-II," EUSAR Conf. Proceedings, 49-52, Königswinter, Germany, 1996.
19. Zhu, D., S. Ye, and Z. Zhu, "Polar format agorithm using chirp scaling for spotlight SAR image formation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 44, No. 4, 1433-1448, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAES.2008.4667720
20. Nie, X., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "Application of synthetic bandwidth approach in SAR polar format algorithm using the deramp technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 447-460, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121409
21. Mao, X., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "Signatures of moving target in polar format spotlight SAR image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 47-64, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09030908
22. Mao, X., D.-Y. Zhu, L.Wang, and Z.-D. Zhu, "Comparative study of RMA and PFA on their responses to moving target," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 103-124, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10090607
23. Wang, X., D.-Y. Zhu, and Z.-D. Zhu, "An Implementation of bistatic PFA using chirp scaling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5--6, 745-753, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036430