In this paper, we will propose a new structure of the socket contactor, which is applied to the lead-frame test board. This structure contains a variable open stub to suffice for matching the impedance between the package and the load board. Its electrical property is considered superior to a conventional spring probe's especially when it is applied to a QFP device. In the following paragraphs, we will present its equivalent model and go into details. Note that the transmission-line model is a substitute for a physical structure at this point. First of all, its RLC model will be constructed after we demonstrate its simulation and test data. Finally, we will use the so-called MonteCarlo Method to analyze the inaccurate length in manufacturing to see how this new structure works.
"Impedance Matching Capability of Novel Socket Contactor Design Using Variable Open Stubfor RF Packaging Testing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 67-82, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10121501
1. Hsu, H.-S. and H.-T. Hsu, "System level integration of simulation methods for high data-rate transmission circuit design applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 31-49, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010402
2. Chandrasekar, K., J. Wilson, E. Erickson, Z. Feng, J. Xu, S. Mick, and P. Franzon, "Inductively coupled connectors and sockets for multi-Gb/s pulse signaling," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 4, 749-758, 2008. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2008.2005465
3. Monti, G., R. de Paolis, and L. Tarricone, "Design of a 3-state reconfigurable CRLH transmission line bases on MEMS switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 283-297, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071109
4. LaMeres, B. J., C. McIntosh, and M. Abusultan, "Novel 3D coaxial interconnect system for use in system-in-package applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, No. 1, 37-47, 2010. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2009.2033942
5. Male, F., J. Lucas, and Y. Huan, "The experimental results of a low power X-band free electron maser by electron pre-bunching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 43-62, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09121604
6. Barnes, H., J. Moreira, H. Ossoinig, M. Wollitzer, T. Schmid, and T. Ming, "Development of a pogo pin assembly and via design for multi-gigabit interfaces on automated test equipment," IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 2006.
7. Szendrenyi, B. B., H. Barnes, J. Moreira, M. Wollitzer, T. Schmid, and T. Ming, "Addressing the broadband crosstalk challenges of pogo pin type interfaces for high-density high-speed digital applications," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2007.
8. Sun, R.-B., R.-B.Wu, and S.-W. Hsiao, "Compromised impedance match design for signal integrity of pogo pins structures with different signal-ground patterns," IEEE Workshop on Signal Propagation on Interconnects, 2009.
9. Gessel, D., A. Slcoum, A. Sprunt, and S. Ziegenhagen, "Realistic spring probe testing methods and results," IEEE Proceedings, International Test Conference, 2002.
10. Andes, J. and E. Bogatin, "The socket response to current pack-aging and test trends," IEEE/CPMT/SEMI 29th International, 2004.
11. Sun, R.-B., C.-Y. Wen, Y.-C. Chang, and R.-B. Wu, "A new isolation structure for crosstalk reduction of pogo pins in a test socket," IEEE Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems, EPEPS 18th Conference, 2009.
12. Reynoso-Hernandez, J. A., I.-G., and Everardo, "A straightfor-ward de-embedding method for devices embedded in test fixtures," 57th ARFTG Conference Digest --- Spring, 2001.
13. Zuniga-Juarez, J. E., J. A. Reynoso-Hernandez, and J. R. Loo-Yau, "Two-tier L-L De-embedding method for S-parameters measurements of devices mounted in test fixture," Microwave Measurement Conference, 73rd ARFTG, 2009.
14. Zhang, J., M. Y. Koledintseva, G. Antonini, J. L. Drewniak, A. Orlandi, and K. N. Rozanov, "Planar transmission line method for characterization of printed circuit board dielectrics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 267-286, 2010.
15. Kung, F. W. L. and H. T. Chuah, "System modeling of high-speed digital printed circuit board using SPICE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 179-211, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER97111900
16. Wang, C.-C., C.-W. Kuo, S.-M. Wu, and H.-H. Cheng, "A novel time-domain approach for extracting broadband models of power delivery networks with resonance effect," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 32, No. 3, 636-643, 2009. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2009.2023510
17. Kungand, F. W. L. and H. T. Chua, "System modeling of high-speed digital printed circuit board using SPICE," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 179-211, 1998.
18. Mantysalo, M. and E. O. Ristolainen, "Modeling and analyzing vertical interconnections," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 29, No. 2, 335-342, 2006. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2006.873137
19. Wu, S.-M. and S.-W. Guan, "A novel signal integrity methodology by 3D direct analysis for microwave testing probes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 187-199, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10060702
20. Zhen, Z. and K. L. Melde, "Development of a broadband coplanar waveguide-to-microstrip transition with vias," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 31, No. 4, 861-872, 2008. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2008.924254