Highly dense two-dimensional periodic arrays of nano-scaled silicon pillars present interesting photonic band gaps and the capacity to act as photonic crystals which can mould, manipulate and guide light. We demonstrate finite element modelling of silicon pillars based photonic crystals and their effective use in applications like waveguides, optical power dividers, multiplexers and switches. The optical wave propagation through these structures was thoroughly simulated and analysed, confirming their high efficiency. The band gaps studied through the plane wave expansion method are also presented. Later the fabrication of highly periodic two-dimensional arrays of silicon pillars through the process of etching is also explained. The arrays with pillar radius of 50 nm and lattice constant of 400 nm were successfully utilised as photonic crystal waveguides and their measured results are reported. Moreover, the silicon nanopillars sputtered with noble metals can also display artificial optical properties and act as metamaterials due to the mutual plasmonic coupling effects. We report the theoretical results for the silicon nanopillars based metamaterial high-pass filter.
Timothy D. Wilkinson,
Gehan A. J. Amaratunga,
"Photonic Crystals & Metamaterial Filters Based on 2D Arrays of Silicon Nanopillars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 179-194, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10122501
1. Joannopoulos, J. D., S. G. Johnson, R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, "Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light," Princeton University Press, 2008.
2. Poborchii, V. V., T. Tada, and T. Kanayama, "Photonic-band-gap properties of twodimensional lattices of Si nanopillars," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 91, 3299-3305, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1446659
3. De Dood, M. J. A., E. Snoeks, A. Moroz, and A. Polman, "Design and optimization of 2D photonic crystal waveguides based on silicon," Optical and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 34, 145-159, 2002. doi:10.1023/A:1013352814225
4. Zijlstra, T., E. van der Drift, M. J. A. de Dood, E. Snoeks, and A. Polman, "Fabrication of two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguides for 1.5 μm in silicon by deep anisotropic dry etching ," 43rd International Conference on Electron, Ion, and Photon Beam Technology and Nanofabrication, 2734-2739, Marco Island, Florida, USA, 1999.
5. Sharkawy, A., S. Shi, D. Prather, and R. Soref, "Electro-optical switching using coupled photonic crystal waveguides," Opt. Express, Vol. 10, 1048-1059, 2002.
6. Ao, X., L. Liu, L.Wosinski, and S. He, "Polarization beam splitter based on a twodimensional photonic crystal of pillar type," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 89, 171115-3, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2360201
7. Sharkawy, A., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Multichannel wavelength division multiplexing with photonic crystals," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 2247-2252, 2001. doi:10.1364/AO.40.002247
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 76, 4773, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.4773
9. Wu, D., N. Fang, C. Sun, X. Zhang, W. J. Padilla, D. N. Basov, D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Terahertz plasmonic high pass filter," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 83, 201-203, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1591083
10. Gay-Balmaz, P., C. Maccio, and O. J. F. Martin, "Microwire arrays with plasmonic response at microwave frequencies," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, 2896-2898, 2002. doi:10.1063/1.1513663
12. Lourtioz, J. M. and D. Pagnoux, Photonic Crystals: Towards Nanoscale Photonic Devices, Springer, Berlin, 2008.
13. Djavid, M., A. Ghaffari, F. Monifi, and M. S. Abrishamian, "Photonic crystal power dividers using L-shaped bend based on ring resonators ," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 25, 1231-1235, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAB.25.001231
14. Butt, H., Q. Dai, P. Farah, T. Butler, T. D. Wilkinson, J. J. Baumberg, and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Metamaterial high pass filter based on periodic wire arrays of multiwalled carbon nanotubes ," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 97, 163102-3, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3491840