Frequency-dependent admittance (J-) inverter is incorporated in synthesis of microstrip trisection filters to achieve a quasi-elliptic function response. In the admittance matrix of the lowpass prototype, certain coupling is modeled by a constant J-inverter multiplied by the complex frequency variable s. Direct synthesis of three lowpass prototypes is presented. Based on the standard lowpass to bandpass transformation, coupled microstrip resonators with both electric and magnetic coupling are devised to implement the J-inverter with desired frequency-dependent characteristics. Tapped-line input/output is used and several transmission zeros can be created in the upper and lower rejection bands. In experiments, a third-order filter with four zeros, a fourth-order circuit with three zeros, and a fourth-order filter with five zeros are designed and fabricated. Measured results are compared with the simulation responses to validate the theory.
"Microstrip Realization of Trisection Synthesis with Frequency-Dependent Admittance Inverter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 113, 195-210, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11011301
1. Kurzrok, R. M., "General four-resonator filters at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 14, 295-296, Jun. 1966. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1966.1126254
2. Williams, E., "A four-cavity elliptic waveguide filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 18, No. 12, 1109-1114, Dec. 1970. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1970.1127419
3. Levy, R., "Direct synthesis of cascaded quadruplet (CQ) filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2940-2945. doi:10.1109/22.476634
4. Wu, H.-W., S.-K. Liu, M.-H. Weng, and C.-H. Hung, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with multispurious suppression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 21-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061601
5. Zhang, L., Z.-Y. Yu, and S.-G. Mo, "Novel planar multimode bandpass filters with radial-line stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 3342-2010.
6. Mo, S.-G., Z.-Y. Yu, and L. Zhang, "Design of triple-mode bandpass filter using improved hexagonal loop resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 117-125, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09080304
7. Dai, G.-L. and M.-Y. Xia, "Novel miniaturized bandpass filters using spiral-shaped resonators and window feed structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 235-243, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120401
8. Wen, S. and L. Zhu, "Numerical synthesis design of coupled resonator filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 333-346, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041102
9. Rosenberg, U. and W. Hagele, "Advanced multi-mode cavity ¯lter design using source/load-resonance circuit cross couplings," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 12, 508-510, Dec. 1992.
11. Amari, S. and J. Boremann, "Using frequency-dependent coupling to generate finite attenuation poles in direct-coupled resonator bandpass filters IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett.,", Vol. 9, No. 10, 404-406, Oct. 1999.
12. Liao, C.-K., P.-L. Chi, and C.-Y. Chang, "Microstrip realization of generalized Chebyshev filters with box-like coupling schemes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 1, 147-153, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.888580
13. Cameron, R. J., C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, Microwave Filters for Communication Systems, Ch. 7, 245, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2007.
14. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Network, and Coupling Structures, Ch. 4, 145 and Ch. 8, 433, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
15. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Couplings of microstrip square open-loop resonators for cross-coupled planar microwave filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 44, No. 11, 2099-2109, Nov. 1996. doi:10.1109/22.543968
16. Kuo, J.-T., C.-L. Hsu, and E. Shih, "Compact planar quasi-elliptic function filter with in-line stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1747-1755, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.901604
17. Yao, H.-W., K.-A. Zaki, and A. E. Atia, "Full wave modeling of conducting posts in rectangular waveguides and its applications to slot coupled combline filters ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 12, 2824-2830, Dec. 1995. doi:10.1109/22.475641
19. Matthaei, G. L., N. O. Fenzi, R. J. Forse, and S. M. Rohlfing, "Hairpin-comb filters for HTS and other narrow-band applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 8, 1226-1231, Aug. 1997. doi:10.1109/22.618411
20. Kuo, J.-T. and E. Shih, "Microstrip stepped-impedance resonator bandpass filter with an extended optimal rejection bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1554-1559, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.810138