To deal with pattern synthesis of antenna arrays, a chaotic particle swarm optimization (CPSO) is presented to avoid the premature convergence. By fusing with the ergodic and stochastic chaos, the novel algorithm explores the global optimum with the comprehensive learning strategy. The chaotic searching region can be adjusted adaptively. To evaluate the performance of CPSO, several representative benchmark functions are minimized using various optimization algorithms. Numerical results demonstrate that the proposed approach improves the performance of the algorithm significantly, in terms of both the convergence speed and exploration ability. Moreover, CPSO was applied to array synthesis examples, including the equally spaced linear array, unequally spaced linear array and conformal array, compared with other optimization methods. Experimental results show its high performance in the pattern synthesis with low side lobe, multi-nulls and shaped beam.
"Application of Chaotic Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm to Pattern Synthesis of Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11012305
1. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
2. Lanza Diego, M., J. R. Perez Lopez, and J. Basterrechea, "Synthesis of planar arrays using a modified particle swarm optimization algorithm by introducing a selection operator and elitism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 145-160, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09041303
3. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, and X.-Y. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, No. 1, 2008.
4. Zhang, S., S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, P.-F. Zhang, and Q. Gong, "A novel IGA-EDSPSO hybrid algorithm for the synthesis of sparse arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 121-134, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120806
5. Oliveri, G. and L. Poli, "Synthesis of monopulse sub-arrayed linear and planar array antennas with optimized sidelobes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 109-129, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092510
6. Vaitheeswaran, S. M., "Dual beam synthesis using element position perturbations and the G3-GA algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 43-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08091601
7. Lin, C., A.-Y. Qing, and Q.-Y. Feng, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using differential evolution," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2553-2561, 2010.
8. Ferreira, J. A. and F. Ares, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by the simulated annealing technique," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, 1187-1189, 1997. doi:10.1049/el:19970838
9. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and fixing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using Continuous Ant Colony Optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102901
10. Perez Lopez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08122212
11. Liu, D. and Q.-Y. Feng, "Pattern synthesis of antennas based on modified PSO algorithm with stagnation detection," Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 24, 697-701, 2009.
12. Li, W.-T., et al., "An extended particle swarm optimization algorithm for pattern synthesis of conformal phased arrays," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 20, 190-199, 2010.
13. Goudos, S. K., et al., "Application of a comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer to unequally spaced linear array synthesis with sidelobe level suppression and null control," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 125-129, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044552
14. Shavit, R. and I. Taig, "Array pattern synthesis using neural networks with mutual coupling effect," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, 354-358, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20045121
15. Fuchs, B., "Shaped beam synthesis of arbitrary arrays via linear programming," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 481-484, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2051210
16. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," IEEE Proc. International Conference on Neural Networks, 1942-1948, Perth, Aust, November 1995.
17. Liang, J.-J., et al., "Comprehensive learning particle swarm optimizer for global optimization of multimodal functions," IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 10, 281-295, 2006. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2005.857610
18. Modares, H., A. Alfi, and M. M. Fateh, "Parameter identification of chaotic dynamic systems through an improved particle swarm optimization," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, 3714-3720, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2009.11.054
19. Coelho, L. D. and A. A. Coelho, "Model-free adaptive control optimization using a chaotic particle swarm approach," Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 41, 2001-2009, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.chaos.2008.08.004
20. Wang, Y., et al., "Improved chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm for dynamic economic dispatch problem with valve-point effects," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 51, 2893-2900, 2010. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2010.06.029
21. Wu, Q., "A self-adaptive embedded chaotic particle swarm optimization for parameters selection of Wv-SVM," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 38, 184-192, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.eswa.2010.06.038
22. He, Y.-Y., et al., "Comparison of different chaotic maps in particle swarm optimization algorithm for long-term cascaded hydroelectric system scheduling," Chaos, Solitons and Fractals, Vol. 42, 3169-3176, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.chaos.2009.04.019
23. Shi, Y. and R. Eberhart, "Modified particle swarm optimizer," Proceedings of the 1998 IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, 69-73, Anchorage, USA, May 1998.
24. Mendes, R., J. Kennedy, and J. Neves, "The fully informed particle swarm: Simpler, maybe better," IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 8, 204-210, 2004. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2004.826074
25. Jin, R.-H., et al., "The pattern synthesis of antennas based on a modified PSO algorithm," Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 21, 873-878, 2006.
26. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2674-2679, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.851762
27. Lin, C. and Q.-Y. Feng, "Chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm based on the essence of particle swarm," Journal of Southwest Jiaotong University, Vol. 42, 665-669, 2007.
28. Xu, S.-H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Boundary conditions in particle swarm optimization revisited," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 760-765, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891562
29. Zhou, H.-J., B.-H. Sun, J.-F. Li, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Efficient optimization and realization of a shaped-beam planar array for very large array application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 1-10, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08112503