In this paper, the characteristics of three different types of high impedance surfaces (HIS) to be used as ground planes for low profile wire antennas are investigated and compared: a mushroom-like surface, which is the classical example of HIS with connecting vias, and two surfaces with no vias, one of which is anisotropic. Both the simulation results and the measurements verify that the high impedance behaviour is successfully accomplished around the resonant frequency. In order to complete the study, return loss and radiation pattern of a horizontal dipole placed above the surfaces are analyzed.
"Comparative Study on Different HIS as Ground Planes and Its Application to Low Profile Wire Antennas Design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 55-77, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11012805
1. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Physical Review E, Vol. 64, No. 5, 056625, Oct. 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
2. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative refractive index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
3. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2009.
4. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Some aspects of radio wave propagation in double zero metamaterials having the real parts of epsilon and mu equal to zero," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 1957-1968, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932421
5. Zhou, H., S. Qu, Z. Pei, Y. Yang, J. Zhang, J. Wang, H. Ma, C. Gu, X. Wang, Z. Xu, W. Peng, and P. Bai, "A high-directive patch antenna based on all-dielectric near-zero-index metamaterial superstrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1387-1396, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791958680
6. Goussetis, G., A. P. Feresidis, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Tailoring the AMC and EBG characteristics of periodic arrays printed on grounded dielectric substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 82-89, January 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.861575
7. Aminian, A., F. Yang, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "In-phase reflection and EM wave suppression characteristics of electromagnetic band gap ground planes," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Ohio, 2003.
8. Hansen, R. C., "Effects of a high-impedance screen on a dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 46-49, 2002. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2002.805121
9. Yousefi, L., H. Attia, and O. M. Ramahi, "Broadband experimental characterization of artificial magnetic materials based on a microstrip line method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 1-13, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08121904
10. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "Planar artificial magnetic conductor: Design and characterization setup in the RFID SHF band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11--12, 1467-1478, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476248
11. Sievenpiper, D., High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999.
12. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
13. Zhang, Y., B. Z.Wang, W. Shao, W. Yu, and R. Mittra, "Artificial ground planes for performance enhancement of microstrip antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 597-606, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794500269
14. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840528
15. Zhang, Y., J. von Hagen, M. Younis, C. Fischer, and W. Wiesbeck, "Planar artificial magnetic conductors and patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2704-2712, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817550
16. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H. S. Tae, and H. J. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06011701
17. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characteristics of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
18. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez Lopez, R. C. Hadarig, and F. Las-Heras Andrés, "Flexible uniplanar artificial magnetic conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 349-362, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061505