In this paper two four-pole filters at X-band are presented, both designs use a coaxial quarter wavelength resonator suspended in air by short circuits between the coaxial center and outer conductor. Different couplings between suspended resonators have been used to obtain a Chebyshev and a quasi-elliptic response. The Chebyshev filter was designed to have a 9.2 GHz centre frequency with a 4% fractional bandwidth. The second design is a quasi-elliptic filter composed of two vertically stacked rectangular coaxial lines, where one pair of resonators is placed on the lower coaxial line and another pair is located on the upper line. Coupling between coaxial lines is achieved through an iris in the common coaxial ground plane. The quasi-elliptic filter has been designed to have a centre frequency of 9.1 GHz with a 4% fractional bandwidth. Two transmission zeros located at the sides of the passband have been successfully achieved with the proposed filter topology. Experimental results for both designs are presented, where a good agreement with simulations has been obtained.
"Coaxial Narrowband Filters Using a Versatile Suspended Resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 79-94, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11020402
1. Zhu, Y. Z., Y. J. Xie, and H. Feng, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 29-41, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072301
2. Zhu, Y. Z., H. S. Song, and K. Guan, "Design of optimized selective quasi-elliptic filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 10, 1357-1366, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789108507
3. Wang, Y. X., "Microstrip cross-coupled tri-section stepped-impedance bandpass filter with wide stop-band performance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 2--3, 289-296, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604391
4. Shen, W., W.-Y. Yin, and X.-W. Sun, "Compact substrate integrated waveguide transversal filter with microstrip dualmode resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 1887-1896, 2010.
5. Wang, C., Z. Zhang, L. Shi, L. Shen, H. Liu, and D. Ahn, "Miniaturized hairpin filter using asymmetrical spurlines with multiple transmission zeros," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2--3, 341-349, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735552
6. Wang, C. and K. A. Zaki, "Full-wave modeling of electric coupling probes in comb-line resonators and filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 12, 2459-2464, Dec. 2000. doi:10.1109/22.898998
7. Cogollos, S., R. J. Cameron, R. R. Mansour, M. Yu, and V. E. Boria, "Synthesis and design procedure for high performance waveguide filters based on nonresonanting nodes," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1297-1300, Honololu, Jun. 2007.
8. Wang, Y. and M. Yu, "True inline cross-coupled coaxial cavity filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 2958-2965, Dec. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034221
9. Mu, Y., Z. Ma, and D. Xu, "A novel compact interdigital bandpass filter using multilayer cross-coupled folded quarter-wavelength resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 12, 847-849, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2005.860013
10. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, M. S. Razalli, A. Alhawari, and B. K. Esfeh, "X-band miniaturized wideband bandpass filter utilizing multilayer microstrip hairpin resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 177-188, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09042202
11. Rebenaque, D. C., J. Pascual-Garcia, F. Q. Pereira, J. L. Gomez-Tornero, and A. A. Melcon, "Novel implementation of transversal filters in multilayered microstrip technology," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1241-1253, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586179
12. Adam, H., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and A. R. H. Alhawari, "Compact wideband bandpass filter using hybrid hairpin and half wave parallel coupled resonator in multilayer microstrip configuration for X-band application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 1855-1865, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932494
13. Zhang, Q. and Y. Lu, "Dimensional synthesis for wide-band band-pass filters with quarter-wavelength resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 17, 213-231, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09080501
14. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. R. Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081802
15. Gu, J., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "A X-band 3-D SICC filter with low-loss and narrow band using LTCC technology," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1093-1100, 2009.
16. Wang, Z., Y. Jin, R. Xu, B. Yan, and W. Lin, "Substrate integrated folded waveguide (SIFW) partial H-plane filter with quarter wavelength resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5--6, 607-617, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036403
17. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
18. Lancaster, M. J., J. Zhou, M. Ke, Y.Wang, and K. Jiang, "Design and high performance of a micromachined K-band rectangular coaxial cable," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 7, 1548-1553, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.900339
19. Chuma, J. M. and D. Mirshekar-Syahkal, "Compact dielectric loaded combline filter with low insertion-loss," 30th European Microwave Conference, 1-4, Oct. 2000.
20. Wang, Z., Q. Wang, and Y. Zhai, "Design of an economical compact combline filter," ICMMT 2008 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 1, 308-310, Apr. 2008.
21. Chen, Y.-M., S.-F. Chang, C.-C. Chang, T.-J. Hong, and W.-C. Lo, "A compact step-impedance combline filter with symmetric insertion-loss response and wide stopband range," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1209-1212, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2006.249427
22. Lin, S.-C., C.-H. Wang, Y.-W. Chen, and C. H. Chen, "Improved combline bandpass filter with multiple transmission zeros," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/APMC.2007.4554841
23. Wang, H. and Q.-X. Chu, "An inline coaxial quasi-elliptic filter with controllable mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 3, 667-673, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2013290
24. Pang, H.-K., K.-M. Ho, K.-W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "A compact microstrip λ/4-SIR interdigital bandpass filter with extended stopband," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1621-1624, Jun. 2004.
25. Ting, S. W., K. W. Tam, and R. P. Martins, "Novel interdigital microstrip bandpass filter with improved spurious response," Proceedings of the 2004 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 1, 984-7, May 2004.
26. Yang, T., R., Xu, and L. Xiao, "Compact combline bandpass filter using LTCC technology," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1-4, Apr. 2007.
28. Llamas-Garro, I. and A. Corona-Chavez, "Quarter wavelength self supported coaxial resonators for use in low-loss narrowband wireless communication filter design," IEEE ICEEE 2006 3rd IEEE International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 347-350, Sep. 2006.