The design and measured results of a compact, low cost, low conversion loss microstrip single balanced Schottky diodes mixer is proposed. This mixer is designed for Ka-band satellite transponder simulator to convert the 30 GHz radio-frequency (RF) signal down to the 20 GHz intermediate-frequency (IF) signal with 9.8 GHz local oscillator (LO) frequency. This design takes full advantage of the frequency relationship of the RF, IF and LO, which is 3 : 2 : 1. A microstrip rat-race ring is designed at the LO frequency, which also functions as a 180-degree hybrid coupler at the RF frequency by its intrinsic multi-band characteristic. The amplitude and phase balance at both LO and RF frequency are analyzed, which guarantee the state-of-art performance of this single balanced mixer. The multi-function open/short stubs and a lowpass filter (LPF) with bonding wires across the rat-race ring are optimized to realize this low conversion loss mixer. The measured results show that the conversion loss is less than 9 dB at the IF frequency from 20.0 to 21.6 GHz, and the power of the second harmonic of LO is -45dBm with +6.5dBm LO drive power. The 3rd order inter-modulation products (IMD3) could be lower than -50 dBc with LO power higher than +7.8dBm at the input RF power of -15 dBm.
"Design of a Microstrip Balanced Mixer for Satellite Communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 289-301, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11022109
1. Mizuno, H. and H. Kato, "30 GHz band low noise receiver for 30/20 GHz single-conversion transponder," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communication, Vol. 1, No. 4, September 1983. doi:10.1109/JSAC.1983.1145967
2. Elbert, B. R., The Satellite Communication Applications Handbook, 2nd Ed., 81-82, Artech House, Boston, London, 2004.
3. Ryu, K.-K., D.-P. Jang, M.-Q. Lee, I.-B. Yom, and S.-P. Lee, "Design of double-balanced MMIC mixer for Ka-band satellite communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 34, No. 6, Sep. 20, 2002.
4. Kenji, I. and K. Kawakami, "A drain mixer with low spuriousness for satellite transponders," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 80, No. 12, Part 2, 1997.
5. Trantanella, C. J., "Ultra-small MMIC mixers for K- and Ka-band communication," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 2000.
6. Lai, Y.-A., S.-H. Hung, C.-N. Chen, and Y.-H. Wang, "A miniature millimeter-wave monolithic star mixer with simple IF extraction circuit," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17--18, 2433-2440, 2009.
7. Wei, H. C., R. M.Weng, and S. Y. Li, "A broadband high linearity and isolation down-conversion mixer for wimax applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11--12, 1555-1565, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476392
8. Bhattacharya, A., M. Bhavsar, J. Thakkar, S. M. Srivastava, and V. K. Garg, "Advanced high performance MMICs for satellite transponder," APMC 2005 Proceedings, 2005.
9. Jafari, E., F. Hodjatkashani, and R. Rezaiesarlak, "A wideband compact planar balun for UHF DTV applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 2047-2053, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932566
10. Monti, G., F. Congedo, and L. Tarricone, "On the use of a rat-race coupler in the design of a 180° phase shifter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1201-1210, 2009.
11. Wang, J., J. Ni, S. Zhao, and Y.-X. Guo, "Compact microstrip ring branch-line coupler with harmonic suppression," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 16, 2119-2126, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790109216
12. Hammou, D., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Modeling and analysis of a modified V-band MHMIC six-port circuit," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1419-1427, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791958644
13. Mass, S. A., Microwave Mixers, 2nd Ed., Artech House, London, 1993.
14. Guo, J., Z. Xu, C. Qian, and W. Dou, "A novel design of single balanced mixer for Ka-band satellite transponder simulator," APMC 2009 Proceedings, 2009.
15. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
16. Bao, M., H. Jacobsson, L. Aspemyr, G. Carchon, and X. Sun, "A 9--31-GHz subharmonic passive mixer in 90-nm CMOS technology," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 10, October 2006.