The paper presents an analytical investigation of a tapered core optical fiber of which the outermost section is loaded with radially anisotropic liquid crystal. The analyses are dealt with transverse modes supported in the fiber structure followed by the relative distribution of power in the different fiber sections. Preliminary dispersion characteristics of the guide are also illustrated. The results demonstrate that the TE modes transport very large amount of power in the outermost liquid crystal region --- the criteria much useful for fiber optic sensing and field coupling devices.
Wong Keng Soon,
"On the Tapered Optical Fibers with Radially Anisotropic Liquid Crystal Clad," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 115, 461-475, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11030102
1. Le Floch, J. M., F. Houndonougbo, V. Madrangeas, D. Cros, M. Guilloux-Viry, and W. Peng, "Thin film materials characterization using TE modes cavity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 549-559, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787612293
2. Siong, C. C. and P. K. Choudhury, "Propagation characteristics of tapered core helical clad dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 663-674, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019877
3. Xu, J., W. X. Wang, L. N. Yue, Y. B. Gong, and Y. Y. Wei, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in an elliptical chiroferrite waveguide," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 2021-2030, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932430
4. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zeng, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285173
5. Seo, D.-W., H.-J. Kim, K.-U. Bae, and N.-H. Myung, "The effect of fiber orientation distribution on the effective permittivity of fiber composite materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17--18, 2419-2430, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793675835
6. Choudhury, P. K. and D. Kumar, "On the slow-wave helical clad elliptical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 1931-1942, 2010.
7. Noor Amin, A. S., M. Mirhosseini, and M. Shahabadi, "Modal analysis of multilayer conical dielectric waveguides for azimuthal invariant modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 213-229, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09121602
8. Chen, D. and B. Sun, "Multi-wavelength fiber optical parametric oscillator based on a highly nonlinear fiber and a sagnac loop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 163-176, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061506
9. Tuz, V. R. and C.-W. Qiu, "Semi-infinite chiral nihility photonics: Parametric dependence, wave tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 139-152, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030706
10. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral-coated nihility cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 41-50, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10072807
11. Baqir, M. A., A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic fields in a circular waveguide containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 16, 85-93, 2011.
12. Kesari, V. and J. P. Keshari, "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with dielectric and metal discs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 253-269, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110207
13. Dong, J.-F., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
14. Sage, I. and D. Chaplin, "Low RI liquid crystals for integrated optics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, 1192-1193, 1987. doi:10.1049/el:19870829
15. Kashyap, R., C. S. Winter, and B. K. Nayar, "Polarization desensitized liquid-crystal overlay optical-fiber modulator," Opt. Lett., Vol. 13, 401-403, 1988. doi:10.1364/OL.13.000401
16. Ioannidis, Z. K., I. P. Giles, and C. Bowry, "All-fiber optic intensity modulators using liquid crystals," Appl. Opt., Vol. 30, 328-333, 1991. doi:10.1364/AO.30.000328
17. Wu, S.-T. and U. Efron, "Optical properties of thin nematic liquid crystal cells," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 624-636, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96724
18. Goldburt, E. S. and P. S. J. Russell, "Electro-optical response of a liquid-crystalline fiber coupler," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 10-12, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96772
19. Chen, S.-H. and T.-J. Chen, "Observation of mode selection in a radially anisotropic cylindrical waveguide with liquid-crystal cladding," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 64, 1893-1895, 1994. doi:10.1063/1.111760
20. Ono, K. and H. Osawa, "Excitation characteristics of fundamental mode in tapered slab waveguides with nonlinear cladding," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, 664-666, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19910416
21. Lim, M. H., S. C. Yeow, P. K. Choudhury, and D. Kumar, "Towards the dispersion characteristics of tapered core dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1597-1609, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292417
22. Yeow, S. C., M. H. Lim, and P. K. Choudhury, "A rigorous analysis of the distribution of power in plastic clad linear tapered fibers," Optik, Vol. 117, 405-410, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2005.09.014
23. Choudhury, P. K. and D. Kumar, "Towards dispersion relations for tapered core dielectric elliptical fibers," Optik, Vol. 118, 340-344, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2006.04.001
24. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "TE and TM modes power transmission through liquid crystal optical fibers," Optik, Vol. 115, 49-56, 2004. doi:10.1078/0030-4026-00333
25. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "On the propagation of power through liquid crystal clad optical fibers," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 5560, 380-385, 2004.
26. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021104
27. Choudhury, P. K. and O. N. Singh, "Some multilayered and other unconventional lightguides," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconventional Structures and Materials, 289-357, O. N. Singh, A. Lakhtakia, Eds., John Wiley, New York, 2000.
28. Snyder, A. W. and F. Rühl, "Single-mode, single-polarization fibers made of birefringent material," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 73, 1165-1174, 1983. doi:10.1364/JOSA.73.001165