In this paper, a recursive computation method is developed to derive the multiple reflections of nonuniform transmission lines. The true impedance profiles of the nonuniform transmission lines are then reconstructed with the help of this method. This method is more efficient than other algorithm. To validate this method, two nonuniform microstrip lines are designed and measured using Agilent vector network analyzer E8363B from 10 MHz to 20 GHz with 10 MHz interval. The reflection coefficients of these nonuniform microstrip lines in time domain are attained from the scattering parameters using inverse Chirp-Z transform. The reconstructed characteristic impedance profiles of the nonuniform lines are compared with those reconstructed by Izydorczyk's algorithm. The agreements of the results illustrate the validity of the recursive multiple reflection computation method in this paper.
1. Lin, D.-B., I.-T. Tang, and Y.-Y. Chang, "Flower-like CPW-FED monopole antenna for quad-band operation of mobile handsets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2271-2278, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309790416116
2. Wang, W., C. Liu, L. Yan, and K. Huang, "A novel power divider based on dual-composite right/left handed transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8-9, 1173-1180, 2009.
3. Fallahzadeh, S. and M. Tayarani, "A new microstrip UWB bandpass filter using defected microstrip structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 893-902, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285254
4. Zhang, G.-H., M. Xia, and X.-M. Jiang, "Transient analysis of wire structures using time domain integral equation method with exact matrix elements ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 281-298, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032003
5. Sharma, R. Y., T. Chakravarty, and A. B. Bhattacharyya, "Transient analysis of microstrip-like interconnections guarded by ground tracks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 189-202, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08021601
6. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Analysis of nonuniform transmission lines using the equivalent sources," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 95-107, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020801
7. Sheen, D. and D. Shepelsky, "Uniqueness in the simultaneous reconstruction of multiparameters of a transmission line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 153-172, 1999. doi:10.2528/PIER98072001
8. Navarro, L., E. Mayevskiy, and T. Chairet, "Application of launch point extrapolation technique to measure characteristic impedance of high frequency cables with TDR," Design Conference, 2009.
9. Chen, S.-D. and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "Characteristic impedance and propagation of the first higher order microstrip mode in frequency and time domain," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1370-1379, May 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999152
10. Xie, H., J. Wang, D. Sun, R. Fan, and Y. Liu, "Spice simulation and experimental study of transmission lines with TVSs excited by EMP," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 401-411, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735543
11. Ostwald, O., "Time domain measurement using vector network analyzer ZVR," ZVR Application Note, May 1998.
12. Agilent Technologies, , "Time domain analysis using a network analyzer," Application Note, 1287-12, 2007.
13. Hsue, C.-W. and T.-W. Pan, "Reconstruction of nonuniform transmission lines from time-domain reflectometr," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 1, 32-38, January 1997. doi:10.1109/22.552029
15. De Padua Moreira, R. and L. R. A. X. de Menezes, "Direct synthesis of microwave filters using inverse scattering transmission-line matrix method ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 12, 2271-2276, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.898974
16. Jong, J. M., V. K. Tripathi, L. A. Hayden, and B. Janko, "Lossy interconnect modeling from TDR/T measurements," IEEE 3rd Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 133-135, 1994.
17. Jaggard, D. L. and P. V. Frangos, "The electromagnetic inverse scattering problem for layered dispersionless dielectrics," IEEE Trans on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 8, 934-946, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144206
18. Lin, C. J., C. C. Chiu, S. G. Hsu, and H. C. Liu, "A novel model extraction algorithm for reconstruction of coupled transmission lines in high-speed digital system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1595-1609, 2005. doi:10.1163/156939305775537393
19. Gu, Q. and J. A. Kong, "Transient analysis of single and coupled lines with capacitively-loaded junctions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 34, No. 9, 952-964, 1986. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1986.1133476
20. Izydorczyk, J., "Comments on "Time-domain reflectometry using arbitrary incident waveforms," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 4, 1296-1298, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.809636
22. Pozer, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2005.
23. Yiding, W., W. Yirong, and H. Jun, "Application of inverse Chirp-Z transform in wideband radar," IEEE 2001 International Geoscience And Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 4, 1617-1619, 2001.
24. Frickey, A., "Using the inverse Chirp-Z transform for time-domain analysis of simulated radar signals," Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Signal Processing Applications and Technology, 1366-1371, 1995.
25. Harris, F. J., "On the use of windows for harmonic analysis with the discrete fourier transform," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, No. 1, 51-83, 1978. doi:10.1109/PROC.1978.10837
26. Faraji-Dana, R. and R. L. Chow, "The current distribution and ac resistance of a microstrip structure," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 38, No. 9, 1268-1277, 1990. doi:10.1109/22.58653