The design of a simple microstrip fed folded strip monopole antenna (FSMA) with a protruding stub in the ground plane for the application in WLAN and RFID is presented. The antenna has two resonant paths, one in the radiating element (folded strip) and the other in the protruding stub of the ground plane. It supports two resonances at 2.4 GHz and 5.81 GHz, which are the center frequencies of WLAN and RFID. Effectively consistent radiation pattern and large percentage bandwidth have been observed. The measured percentage fractional bandwidth at 2.4 GHz (2.05 GHz to 2.86 GHz) is 32.99, and the percentage fractional bandwidth at 5.81 GHz (5.55 GHz to 6.14 GHz) is 10.11. The proposed antenna is simple and compact in size, providing broadband impedance matching, consistent radiation pattern and appropriate gain characteristics in the WLAN and RFID frequency regions.
1. Shams, K. M. Z., M. Ali, and H.-S. Hwang, "A planar inductively coupled bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 861-871, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149879
2. Zhang, T.-L., Z.-H. Yan, L. Chen, and Y. Song, "A compact dual-band CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 2097-2014, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308787537937
3. Jaw, J.-L., F.-S. Chen, and D.-F. Chen, "Compact dualband CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for 2.4/5 GHz WLAN operation," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1947-1955, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932584
4. Liu, W.-C., P.-W. Chen, and C.-C. Liu, "Triple-band planar monopole antenna for DMB/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 653-661, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036269
5. Zhao, K., S. Zhang, and S. L. He, "Closely-located MIMO antennas of tri-band for WLAN mobile terminal applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 363-371, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735633
6. Chen, W. S. and Y.-H. Yu, "Dual-band printed dipole antenna with parasitic element for WIMAX applications," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 23, 1338-1339, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1049/el:20081602
7. Chang, T.-N., G.-Y. Shen, and J.-M. Lin, "CPW-fed antenna covering WiMAX 2.5/3.5/5.7 GHz bands," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 2-3, 189-197, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790735589
8. Kuo, Y.-L. and K. L. Wong, "Printed double-T monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band WLAN operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2187-2191, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816391
9. Liu, W.-C., W. R. Chen, and C. M.Wu, "Printed double S-shaped monopole antenna for wideband and multiband operation of wireless communication," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, No. 6, 473-476, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20041035
10. Liu, W.-C., "Optimal design of dualband CPW-fed G-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 21-38, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041401
11. Liu, Z.-Y., Y.-Z. Yin, L.-H. Wen, W.-C. Xiao, Y. Wang, and S.-L. Zuo, "A Y-shaped tri-band monopole antenna with a parasitic M-strip for PCS and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1219-1227, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586089
12. Liu, W. C. and C.-F. Hsu, "Dual-band CPW-fed Y-shaped monopole antenna for PCS/WLAN application," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 7, 390-391, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057887
13. Wu, C.-M., "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 542-546, 2007. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20050116
14. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Microstrip-fed dual-frequency annular-slot antenna loaded by split-ring-slot," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 757-764, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0193
15. Liu, W.-C., C.-M. Wu, and N.-C. Chu, "A compact CPW-fed slotted patch antenna for dual-band operation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 110-113, 2010.
16. Hsieh, C., T. Chiu, and C. Lai, "Compact dual-band slot antenna at the corner of the ground plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 3423-3426, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027348
17. IE3D version 102, Zeland Corp, , Freemont, CA, USA.