The paper deals with the case of a three-layer liquid crystal tapered optical fiber (LCTOF) for which the dispersion relations are deduced corresponding to the TE and the TM modes. For the LCTOF under consideration, the outermost clad section is made of liquid crystal material with radial anisotropy whereas the core and the inner clad are homogeneous, non-magnetic and isotropic dielectric regions. Rigorous field expressions corresponding to different LCTOF sections are deduced, and the eigenvalue equations are reported followed by the modal behaviour of the guide in respect of the propagation constants and cutoff situations. Apart from that, a glimpse of the power confinement through the TE and the TM excitations in different fiber sections is also touched upon.
1. Veilleux, C., J. Lapierre, and J. Bures, "Liquid-crystal-clad tapered fibers," Opt. Lett., Vol. 11, 733-735, 1986. doi:10.1364/OL.11.000733
2. Green, M. and S. J. Madden, "Low loss nematic liquid crystal cored fiber waveguides," Appl. Opt., Vol. 28, 5202-5203, 1989. doi:10.1364/AO.28.005202
3. Lin, H., P. P. Muhoray, and M. A. Lee, "Liquid crystalline cores for optical fibers," Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst., Vol. 204, 189-200, 1991. doi:10.1080/00268949108046605
4. Kumar, D., P. K. Choudhury, O. N. Singh, and II, "Towards the dispersion relations for dielectric optical fibers with helical windings under slow- and fast-wave considerations --- a comparative analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 409-420, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120302
5. Safie, A. H. B. M. and P. K. Choudhury, "On the field patterns of helical clad dielectric optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 69-84, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020208
6. Siong, C. C. and P. K. Choudhury, "Propagation characteristics of tapered core helical clad dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5-6, 663-674, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019877
7. Abd-Rahman, F., P. K. Choudhury, D. Kumar, and Z. Yusoff, "An analytical investigation of four-layer dielectric optical fibers with Au nano-coating --- A comparison with three-layer optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 269-286, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010706
8. Choudhury, P. K. and D. Kumar, "On the slow-wave helical clad elliptical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1931-1942, 2010.
9. Amin, A. S. N., M. Mirhosseini, and M. Shahabadi, "Modal analysis of multilayer conical dielectric waveguides for azimuthal invariant modes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 213-229, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09121602
10. Chen, D. and B. Sun, "Multi-wavelength fiber optical parametric oscillator based on a highly nonlinear fiber and a sagnac loop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 163-176, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061506
11. Tuz, V. R. and C.-W. Qiu, "Semi-infinite chiral nihility photonics: Parametric dependence, wave tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 139-152, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030706
12. Ahmed, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic scattering from a chiral-coated nihility cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 18, 41-50, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10072807
13. Baqir, M. A., A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Electromagnetic fields in a circular waveguide containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 16, 85-93, 2011.
14. Kesari, V. and J. P. Keshari, "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with dielectric and metal discs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 253-269, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110207
15. Dong, J., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
16. Petrillo, L., F. Jangal, M. Darces, J.-L. Montmagnon, and M. Helier, "Negative permittivity media able to propagate a surface wave ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 1-10, 2011.
17. Liu, S.-H. and L.-X. Guo, "Negative refraction in an anisotropic metamaterial with a rotation angle between the principal axis and the planar interface ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 243-257, 2011.
18. Wu, S.-T. and U. Efron, "Optical properties of thin nematic liquid crystal cells," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 624-636, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96724
19. Goldburt, E. S. and P. S. J. Russell, "Electro-optical response of a liquid-crystalline fiber coupler," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 10-12, 1986. doi:10.1063/1.96772
20. Sage, I. and D. Chaplin, "Low RI liquid crystals for integrated optics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 23, 1192-1193, 1987. doi:10.1049/el:19870829
21. Kashyap, R., C. S. Winter, and B. K. Nayar, "Polarization desensitized liquid-crystal overlay optical-fiber modulator," Opt. Lett., Vol. 13, 401-403, 1988. doi:10.1364/OL.13.000401
22. Ioannidis, Z. K., I. P. Giles, and C. Bowry, "All-fiber optic intensity modulators using liquid crystals," Appl. Opt., Vol. 30, 328-333, 1991. doi:10.1364/AO.30.000328
23. Chen, S.-H. and T.-J. Chen, "Observation of mode selection in radially anisotropic cylindrical waveguide with liquid-crystal cladding," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 64, 1893-1895, 1994. doi:10.1063/1.111760
24. R. J., F. Gonthier, S. Lacroix, J. D. Love, "Tapered ingle-mode fibres and devices: I. Adiabaticity criteria," IEE Proc. --- J., Vol. 138, 343-354, 1991.
25. Ono, K. and H. Osawa, "Excitation characteristics of fundamental mode in tapered slab waveguides with nonlinear cladding," Electron. Lett., Vol. 27, 664-666, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19910416
26. Lim, M. H., S. C. Yeow, P. K. Choudhury, and D. Kumar, "Towards the dispersion characteristics of tapered core dielectric optical fibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1597-1609, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292417
27. Yeow, S. C., M. H. Lim, and P. K. Choudhury, "A rigorous analysis of the distribution of power in plastic clad linear tapered fibers," Optik, Vol. 117, 405-410, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2005.09.014
28. Choudhury, P. K. and D. Kumar, "Towards dispersion relations for tapered core dielectric elliptical fibers," Optik, Vol. 118, 340-344, 2007. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2006.04.001
29. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "TE mode propagation through tapered core liquid crystal optical fibers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 449-463, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10021104
30. Choudhury, P. K. and W. K. Soon, "On the transmission by liquid crystal tapered optical fibers," Optik, Vol. 122, 1061-1068, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.ijleo.2010.07.005
31. Choudhury, P. K. and T. Yoshino, "TE and TM modes power transmission through liquid crystal optical fibers," Optik, Vol. 115, 49-56, 2004. doi:10.1078/0030-4026-00333
32. Cherin, A. H., An Introduction to Optical Fibers, Chapter 5, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1987.