The permittivity of extra thin silk cloth is usually measured through some complex methods in the past. Here we propose a convenient and flexible method to measure the permittivity of extra thin silk cloth using resonant metamaterial structures. The metamaterial structures used here are symmetric split ring resonators (SRRs). The principle is that the resonant frequency of the SRRs is very sensitive to the permittivity of the surrounding medium. Therefore, the relative permittivity of an extra thin medium as silk cloth can be determined. Our experimental measurement shows that the relative permittivity of the silk cloth is 4.5. A piece of printing paper is also measured with a relative permeability of 1.4. The effectiveness of the method in determining the permittivity of a solid medium is very useful in future applications.
"Experimental Measurement Method to Determine the Permittivity of Extra Thin Materials Using Resonant Metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 120, 327-337, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11071803
1. Elisseeff, V., The Silk Roads: Highways of Culture and Commerce, Berghahn Books/UNESCO, New York, 2000.
2. Vainker, S., Chinese Silk: A Cultural History, Rutgers University Press, Piscataway, New Jersey, 2004.
3. Tao, H., et al., "Silk metamaterials: Metamaterial silk composites at terahertz frequencies," Adv. Mater., Vol. 22, 3527-3511, 2010.
4. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 6, 77-79, 2001.
6. Zhang, W. B., H. Chen, and H. O. Moser, "Subwavelength imaging in a cylindrical hyperlens based on S-string resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 073501, 2011.
7. Chen, H., et al., "Equivalent circuit model for left-handed metamaterials," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 100, 024915, 2006.
8. Grzegorczyk, T. M. and J. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical and numerical studies to potential applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006.
9. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
10. Zhang, W. B., H. Chen, and H. O. Moser, "Subwavelength imaging in a cylindrical hyperlens based on S-string resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 073501, 2011.
11. Gong, Y. and G. Wang, "Superficial tumor hyperthermia with flat left-handed metamaterial lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 389-405, 2009.
12. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780-1783, 2006.
14. Schurig, D., et al., "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 997-980, 2006.
15. Zhang, B., Y. Luo, X. G. Liu, and G. Barbastathis, "Macroscopic invisibility cloak for visible light," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 106, 033901, 2011.
16. Chen, X. Z., et al., "Macroscopic invisibility cloak of visible light," Nat. Commun., Vol. 2, 176, 2011.
17. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T.-J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009.
18. Huang, L. and H. Chen, "Multi-band and polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 103-110, 2011.
19. Alici, K. B., A. E. Serebryannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Radiation properties and coupling analysis of a metamaterial based, dual polarization, dual band, multiple split ring resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1183-1193, 2010.
20. Pu, T.-L., K.-M. Huang, B. Wang, and Y. Yang, "Application of micro-genetic algorithm to the design of matched high gain patch antenna with zero-refractive-index metamaterial lens," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1207-1217, 2010.
21. Zhou, H., S. Qu, Z. Pei, Y. Yang, J. Zhang, J. Wang, H. Ma, C. Gu, X. Wang, Z. Xu, W. Peng, and P. Bai, "A high-directive patch antenna based on all-dielectric near-zero-index metamaterial superstrates," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1387-1396, 2010.
22. Li, M., H.-L. Yang, X.-W. Hou, Y. Tian, and D.-Y. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010.
23. Zhu, B., Z. Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010.
24. Kobayashi, Y. and M. Katoh, "Microwave measurement of dielectric properties of low-loss materials by the dielectric rod resonator method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 7, 586-592, 1985.
25. Duvillaret, L., F. Garet, and J. L. Coutaz, "A reliable method for extraction of material parameters in Terahertz time-domain spectroscopy," IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum. Electron., Vol. 2, 739, 1996.
26. Pupeza, I., R. Wilk, and M. Koch, "Highly accurate optical material parameter determination with THz time-domian spectroscopy," Opt. Express, Vol. 24, 4335, 2007.
27. O'Brien, S. and J. B. Pendry, "Magnetic activity at infrared frequencies in structured metallic photonic crystals," J. Phys.: Condens. Matter, Vol. 14, 6383, 2002.
28. Ran, L.-X., H.-F. Jiang Tao, H. Chen, X.-M. Zhang, K.-S. Cheng, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Experimental study on several left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 249-279, 2005.
29. Benedek, P. and P. Silvester, "Equivalent capacitance for microstrip gaps and dteps," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 20, 729-733, 1972.
30. Liu, J.-C., D.-S. Shu, B.-H. Zeng, and D.-C. Chang, "Improved equivalent circuits for complementary split-ring resonator-based high-pass filter with C-shaped couplings," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2, No. 6, 622-626, 2008.
31. Huang, J., "Low cross-pol linearly polarized microstrip array," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 1750-1753, 1990.
32. Ansari, J. A., N. P. Yadav, P. Singh, and A. Mishra, "Compact half U-slot loaded shorted rectangular patch antenna for broadband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 9, 215-226, 2009.