In this paper we present the three-dimensional finite element time domain model of the human eye exposed to pulsed holmium: YAG laser radiation used in thermokeratoplasty procedure. The model is based on the Pennes' bioheat transfer equation and takes into account the focusing action of the lens. The absorption of laser energy inside the eye tissues is modeled using the Lambert-Beer's law. Model takes into account the pulse temporal profile. The maximum temperature values obtained from steady state and transient analysis are compared against those reported from other papers. Finally, sensitivity analysis of several parameters on the calculated temperature field is carried out.
1. Niemz, M. H., Laser-Tissue Interactions: Fundamentals and Applications, 3rd Ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2003.
2. Carroll, L. and T. R. Humphreys, "LASER-tissue interactions," Clin. in Dermatol., Vol. 24, 2-7, 2006.
3. Thompson, K., Q. Ren, and J. Parel, "Therapeutic and diagnostic application of lasers in ophthalmology," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 6, 838-860, 1992.
4. Taove, A. and M. Brodwin, "Computation of the electromagnetic fields and induced temperatures within a model of the microwave-irradiated human eye," IEEE Trans. on Microw. and Theory, Vol. 23, No. 11, 888-896, Jan. 1975.
5. Emery, A., P. Kramar, A. Guy, and J. Lin, "Microwave induced temperature rises in rabbit eyes in cataract research," J. of Heat Transf., Vol. 97, 123-128, 1975.
6. Scott, J., "A finite element model of heat transport in the human eye," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 33, No. 2, 227-241, 1988.
7. Scott, J., "The computation of temperature rises in the human eye induced by infrared radiation," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 33, No. 2, 243-257, 1988.
8. Lagendijk, J., "A mathematical model to calculate temperature distributions in human and rabbit eyes during hyperthermic treatment," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 27, No. 11, 1301-1311, 1982.
9. Mainster, M. A., "Ophthalmic applications of infrared lasers --- Thermal considerations," Invest. Ophth. Vis. Sci., Vol. 18, No. 4, 414-420, Apr. 1979.
10. Amara, E. H., "Numerical investigations on thermal effects of laser-ocular media interaction," Int. J. Heat and Mass Tran., Vol. 38, No. 13, 2479-2488, 1995.
11. Sbirlea, G. and J. P. L'Huillier, "A powerful finite element for analysis of argon laser iridectomy: Influence of natural convection on the human eye," WIT Tr Biomed Health, Vol. 4, 67-79, Apr. 1997.
12. Chua, K. J., J. C. Ho, S. K. Chou, and M. R. Islam, "On the study of the temperature distribution within a human eye subjected to a laser source," Int. Commun. in Heat and Mass Trans., Vol. 32, 1057-1065, 2005.
13. Ng, E. Y. K., E. H. Ooi, and U. R. Archarya, "A comparative study between the two-dimensional and three-dimensional human eye models," Math. Comput. Model., Vol. 48, No. 5--6, 712-720, 2008.
14. Narasimhan, A., K. Jha, and L. Gopal, "Transient simulations of heat transfer in human eye undergoing laser surgery," Int. Commun. in Heat and Mass Trans., Vol. 53, 482-490, Jan. 2010.
15. Manns, F., D. Borja, J. M. Parel, W. Smiddy, and W. Culbertson, "Semianalytical thermal model for subablative laser heating of homogeneous nonperfused biological tissue: Application to laser thermokeratoplasty," J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 8, No. 2, 288-297, Apr. 2003.
16. Pustovalov, V., B. Jean, T. Bende, and A. Smetannikov, "Investigations and computer modeling of the optical and thermal processes of laser thermal keratoplasty," Laser Phys., Vol. 14, No. 10, 1334-1341, 2004.
17. Podol'tsev, A. and G. Zheltov, "Photodestructive effect of IR laser radiation on the cornea," Opt. Spectrosc., Vol. 102, No. 1, 142-146, 2007.
18. Ooi, E. H., W. T. Ang, and E. Y. K. Ng, "A boundary element model of the human eye undergoing laser thermokeratoplasty," Comput. Biol. Med., Vol. 38, 727-737, 2008.
19. Esquenazi, S., V. Bui, and O. Bibas, "Surgical correction of hyperopia," Surv. Ophthalmol., Vol. 51, No. 4, 381-418, 2006.
20. Pennes, H. H., "Analysis of tissue and arterial blood temperatures in the resting human forearm, 1948," J. Appl. Physiol., Vol. 85, No. 1, 5-34, Jul. 1998.
21. Smerdon, D., "Anatomy of the eye and orbit," Curr. Anaesth. & Crit. Care, Vol. 11, No. 6, 286-292, Jan. 2000.
22. DeMarco, S. C., G. Lazzi, W. Liu, J. D. Weiland, and M. S. Humayun, "Computed SAR and thermal elevation in a 0.25-mm 2-D model of the human eye and head in response to an implanted retinal stimulator --- Part I: Models and methods," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2274-2285, 2003.
23. Makous, W. L. and J. D. Gould, "Effects of lasers on the human eye," IBM J. Res. and Dev., Vol. 12, No. 3, 257-271, 1968.
24. Krauss, J., C. Puliafito, and R. Steinert, "Laser interactions with the cornea," Surv. Ophthalmol., Vol. 31, No. 1, 37-51, Jan. 1986.
25. Cvetkovic, M., A. Peratta, and D. Poljak, "Thermal modelling of the human eye exposed to infrared radiation of 1064nm Nd:YAG and 2090nm Ho:YAG lasers," Wit Tr Biomed Health, Vol. 14, 221-231, 2009.
26. Poljak, D., A. Peratta, and C. A. Brebbia, "The boundary element electromagnetic --- Thermal analysis of human exposure to base station antennas radiation," Eng. Anal. with Bound. Elem., Vol. 28, 763-770, Jan. 2004.
27. Ibrahiem, A., C. Dale, W. Tabbara, and J. Wiart, "Analysis of the temperature increase linked to the power induced by RF source," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 23-46, 2005.
28. Hirata, A., H. Sugiyama, and O. Fujiwara, "Estimation of core temperature elevation in humans and animals for whole-body averaged SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 53-70, 2009.
29. Ooi, E., W. Ang, and E. Y. K. Ng, "A boundary element model for investigating the effects of eye tumor on the temperature distribution inside the human eye," Comput. Biol. Med., Vol. 39, 667-677, Jan. 2009.
30. Mahillo-Isla, R., M. J. Gonzáles-Morales, and C. Dehesa-Martínez, "Plane wave spectrum of 2D complex beams," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 8--9, 1123-1131, 2009.
31. Gonźales-Morales, M. J., R. Mahillo-Isla, E. Gago-Ribas, and C. Dehesa-Martínez, "3D complex beams in the spatial and the spectral domains," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1103-1112, 2010.
32. Cember, H., Introduction to Health Physics, 3rd Ed., McGraw Hill, Inc., New York, 1996.
33. Träger, F., Springer Handbook of Lasers and Optics, Springer Science + Business Media, LLC New York, 2007.
34. Cvetkovic, M., D. Cavka, D. Poljak, and A. Peratta, "3D FEM temperature distribution analysis of the human eye exposed to laser radiation," Proc. Biomed., 2009.
35. Acharya, R. U., E. Y. K. Ng, and J. S. Suri, Image Modeling of the Human Eye, Vol. 11, 229-252, Artech House, Inc., 2008.
36. Ng, E. Y. K. and E. H. Ooi, "FEM simulation of the eye structure with bioheat analysis," Comput. Meth. Prog. Bio., Vol. 82, 268-276, 2006.
37. Ooi, E. H., W. T. Ang, and E. Y. K. Ng, "Bioheat transfer in the human eye: A boundary element approach," Eng. Anal. eight Bound. Elem., Vol. 31, No. 6, 494-500, 2007.
38. Ng, E. Y. K. and E. H. Ooi, "Ocular surface temperature: A 3D FEM prediction using bioheat equation," Comput. Biol. Med., Vol. 37, 829-835, 2007.
39. Stringer, H. and J. Parr, "Shrinkage temperature of eye collagen,", Vol. 204, No. 4965, 1307-1307, Dec. 1964.
40. Brinkmann, R., J. Kampmeier, U. Grotehusmann, A. Vogel, N. Koop, M. Asiyo-Vogel, and R. Birngruber, "Corneal collagen denaturation in laser thermokeratoplasty," P. Soc. Photo.-Opt. Ins., Vol. 2681, No. 56, 56-63, Jan. 1996.
41. Cvetkovic, M., D. Poljak, and A. Peratta, "Thermal modelling of the human eye exposed to laser radiation," Proc. SoftCOM, Vol. 10, 16-20, 2008.
42. Jansen, E. D., T. G. van Leeuwen, M. Motamedi, C. Borst, and A. J. Welch, "Temperature dependence of the absorption coefficient of water for midinfrared laser radiation," Laser Surg. Med., Vol. 14, No. 3, 258-268, 1994.
43. Lange, B., T. Brendel, and G. Hüuttmann, "Temperature dependence of light absorption in water at holmium and thulium laser wavelengths," Appl. Optics, Vol. 41, No. 27, 5797-5803, Sep. 2002.
44. Zhou, J., J. K. Chen, and Y. Zhang, "Simulation of laser-induced thermotherapy using a dual-reciprocity boundary element model with dynamic tissue properties," IEEE on Trans. Bio. Eng., Vol. 57, No. 2, 238-245, Jan. 2010.
45. Jha, K. and A. Narasimhan, "Three-dimensional bio-heat transfer simulation of sequential and simultaneous retinal laser irradiation," Int. J. Therm. Sci., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1191-1198, 2011.