A computational technique is presented for efficient and accurate time-domain analysis of multiport waveguide structures with arbitrary metallic and dielectric discontinuities using a higher order finite element method (FEM) in the frequency domain. It is demonstrated that with a highly efficient and appropriately designed frequency-domain FEM solver, it is possible to obtain extremely fast and accurate time-domain solutions of microwave passive structures performing computations in the frequency domain along with the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) and its inverse (IDFT). The technique is a higher order large domain Galerkin-type FEM for 3-D analysis of waveguide structures with discontinuities implementing curl-conforming hierarchical polynomial vector basis functions in conjunction with Lagrange-type curved hexahedral finite elements and a simple single-mode boundary condition, coupled with standard DFT and IDFT algorithms. The examples demonstrate excellent numerical properties of the technique, which appears to be the first time-from-frequency-domain FEM solver, primarily due to (i) very small total numbers of unknowns in higher order solutions, (ii) great modeling flexibility using large (homogeneous and continuously inhomogeneous) finite elements, and (iii) extremely fast multifrequency FEM analysis (the global FEM matrix is filled only once and then reused for every subsequent frequency point) needed for the inverse Fourier transform.
Eve M. Klopf,
Sanja B. Manić,
Milan M. Ilic,
Branislav M. Notaroš,
"Efficient Time-Domain Analysis of Waveguide Discontinuities Using Higher Order FEM in Frequency Domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 120, 215-234, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080814
1. Rubio, J., J. Arroyo, and J. Zapata, "Analysis of passive microwave circuits by using a hybrid 2-D and 3-D finite-element mode-matching method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1746-1749, September 1999. doi:10.1109/22.788618
2. Ilić, M. M., A. Ž. Ilić, and B. M. Notaroš, "Higher order large-domain FEM modeling of 3-D multiport waveguide structures with arbitrary discontinuities," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1608-1614, June 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.828457
3. El Sabbagh, M. and K. Zaki, "Modeling of rectangular waveguide junctions containing cylindrical posts," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 299-331, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER01022603
4. Booty, M. R. and G. A. Kriegsmann, "Reflection and transmission from a thin inhomogeneous cylinder in a rectangular TE10 waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 263-296, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03122304
5. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Microwave filters using waveguides filled by multi-layer dielectric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 105-110, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06102502
6. Sjöberg, D., "Determination of propagation constants and material data from waveguide measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 163-182, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08121304
7. Jin, J. M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.
8. Jin, J. M. and D. J. Riley, Finite Element Analysis of Antennas and Arrays, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2008. doi:10.1002/9780470409732
9. Notaroš, B. M., "Higher order frequency-domain computational lectromagnetics," Special Issue on Large and Multiscale Computational Electromagnetics, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2251-2276, August 2008.
10. Rui, X., J. Hu, and Q. H. Liu, "Higher order finite element method for inhomogeneous axisymmetric resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 21, 189-201, 2010.
11. Kristensson, G., "Transient electromagnetic wave propagation in waveguides," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 5--6, 645-671, 1995. doi:10.1163/156939395X00866
12. Rothwell, E. J., A. K. Temme, and B. R. Crowgey, "Pulse reflection from a dielectric discontinuity in a rectangular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 11-25, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09090905
13. Tsai, H. P., Y.Wang, and T. Itoh, "Efficient analysis of microwave passive structures using 3-D envelope-finite element (EVFE)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 12, 2721-2727, December 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.805190
14. Faghihi, F. and H. Heydari, "A combination of time domain finite element-boundary integral with time domain physical optics for calculation of electromagnetic scattering of 3-D structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 463-474, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110206
15. Ilić, M. M., A. Ž. Ilić, and B. M. Notaroš, "Continuously inhomogeneous higher order finite elements for 3-D electromagnetic analysis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2798-2803, September 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027350
16. De la Rubia, V., U. Razafison, and Y. Maday, "Reliable fast frequency sweep for microwave devices via the reduced-basis method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 12, 2923-2937, December 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2034208
17. Olćan, D. I., M. M. Nikolić, B. M. Kolundžija, and A. R. Djordjević, "Time-domain response of 3-D structures calculated using WIPL-D," Proceedings of the 2007 Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, 525-531, Verona, Italy, March 2007.
18. Ilić, M. M. and B. M. Notaroš, "Higher order hierarchical curved hexahedral vector finite elements for electromagnetic modeling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 3, 1026-1033, March 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.808680
19. Djordjević, M. and B. M. Notaroš, "Double higher order method of moments for surface integral equation modeling of metallic and dielectric antennas and scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 2118-2129, August 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.833175
20. Kolundžija, B., B. Janić, and M. Rakić, "Novel technique for deembeding S-parameters in electromagnetic modeling of arbitrary circuits," IEEE APS International Symposium Digest, 2784-2787, Monterey, CA, USA, June 2004.
21. Bunger, R. and F. Arndt, "Moment-method analysis of arbitrary 3-D metallic N-port waveguide structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 4, 531-537, April 2000. doi:10.1109/22.842024