A novel approach for the design and optimization of spherical lens antennas (SLAs) including practical feed model (PFM) is proposed. The vector spherical wave function expansions (VSWE) combined with differential evolution (DE) algorithm is adopted for the optimal design of SLAs. Moreover, the near-field aperture distributions of a Ku band dielectric loaded horn feed and a Ka band corrugated horn feed were obtained using the full wave simulation and were then taken into account in the DE optimization. The performances of the optimized 2-layer design are compared with previous works, higher directivity is obtained. Additionally, the radiation characteristics of an optimized SLA are presented, and numerical results of a 650 mm diameter 2-layer hemispherical lens antenna (HLA) with ground plane are compared to the experimental results, and good agreements are obtained. An investigation of the influence of the various lens-to-feed distances as well as aperture sizes of SLA on the aperture efficiency for a 2-layer design is also proposed.
"Design and Optimization of Spherical Lens Antennas Including Practical Feed Models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 120, 355-370, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11081404
1. Liang, C. S., D. A. Streater, J.-M. Jin, E. Dunn, and T. Rozendal, "A quantitative study of luneberg-lens reflectors," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 47, No. 2, 30-41, 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1487776
2. Vinogradov, S. S., P. D. Smith, J. S. Kot, and N. Nikolic, "Radar cross-section studies of spherical lens reflectors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 325-337, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07031206
3. Nikolic, N., J. S. Kot, and S. Vinogradov, "Scattering by a Luneberg lens partially covered by a metallic cap," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 549-563, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616856
4. Schrank, H. and J. Sanford, "A Luneberg-lens update," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 37, No. 1, 76-79, Feb. 1995. doi:10.1109/74.370587
5. Schoenlinner, B., X. Wu, J. P. Ebling, G. V. Eleftheriades, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Wide-scan spherical-lens antennas for automotive radars," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 9, 2166-2175, Sep. 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.802331
6. Dou, W. B., Z. L. Sun, and X. Q. Tan, "Fields in the focal space of symmetrical hyperbolic focusing lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 213-226, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER98021300
7. Thakur, J. P., W.-G. Kim, and Y.-H. Kim, "Large aperture low aberration aspheric dielectric lens antenna for W-band quasi- optics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 57-65, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10022404
8. Sun, F. and S. He, "Can Maxwell's fish eye lens really give perfect imaging?," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 307-322, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10091003
9. Sun, F., X. Ge, and S. He, "Can Maxwell's fish eye lens really give perfect imaging? Part II. The case with passive drains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 313-328, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10110313
10. Zhong, M., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Optimization of a Luneberg lens antenna using the differential evolution algorithm," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., San Diego, CA, Jul. 2008.
11. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, 204-207, McGraw Hill, New York, 1941.
12. Tai, C. T., "The electromagnetic theory of the spherical Luneberg lens," Appl. Sci. Res., Vol. 7, 113-130, Section B, 1958.
13. Sanford, J. R., "Scattering by spherically stratified microwave lens antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 42, No. 5, 690-698, May 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299568
14. Mosallaei, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Non-uniform Luneburg and two-shell lens antennas: Radiation characteristics and design optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 1, 60-69, Jan. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.910531
16. Fuchs, B., R. Golubovic, A. K. Skrivervik, and J. R. Mosig, "Spherical lens antenna designs with particle swarm optimization," Microw. Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1655-1659, Jul. 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25278
17. Fuchs, B., S. Palud, L. Le Coq, O. Lafond, M. Himdi, and S. Rondineau, "Scattering of spherically and hemispherically stratified Lenses fed by any real source," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 2, 450-460, Feb. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.915458
18. Peeler, G. D. M. and H. P. Coleman, "Microwave stepped-index Luneberg lenses," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 6, No. 2, 202-207, 1958. doi:10.1109/TAP.1958.1144575
19. Carpenter, Michael, P., et al.Lens of gradient dielectric constant and methods of production, U. S. Patent 6-433-936 B1, 2001.
20. Rondineau, S., M. Himdi, and J. Sorieux, "A sliced spherical Lüneburg lens," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 163-166, 2003. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2003.819045
21. Ma, H. F., X. Chen, H. S. Xu, X. M. Yang, W. X. Jiang, and T.-J. Cui, "Experiments on high-performance beam-scanning antennas made of gradient-index metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 95, 094107, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3223608
22. Ma, H. F., X. Chen, X. M. Yang, W. X. Jiang, and T.-J. Cui, "Design of multibeam scanning antennas with high gains and low sidelobes using gradient-index metamaterials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 107, 014902, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3275505
23. Wang, G., Y. Gong, and H. Wang, "On the size of left-handed material lens for near-field target detection by focus scanning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 345-361, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08101902
24. Andrés-García, B., L. E. García-Muñoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, F. J. Herraiz-Martínez, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Filtering lens structure based on SRRs in the low THz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 71-90, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09040105
25. Agastra, E., G. Bellaveglia, L. Lucci, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, G. Ruggerini, and S. Selleri, "Genetic algorithm optimization of high-efficiency wide-band multimodal square horns for discrete lenses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 335-352, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08061806
26. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and fixing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using continuous Ant Colony Optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102901
27. Storn, R. and M. Siemens AG, "On the usage of differential evolution for function optimization," Biennial Conference of the North American, 519-523, 1996.
28. Qing, A., "Electromagnetic inverse scattering of multiple two-dimensional perfectly conducting objects by the differential evolution strategy," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 1251-1262, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811492
29. Yang , S., Y. B. Gan, and A. Qing, "Antenna-array pattern nulling using a differential evolution algorithm," Int. J. RF Microwave Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 14, No. 1, 57-63, 2004. doi:10.1002/mmce.10118
30. Li, J.-Y. and J. L. Guo, "Optimization technique using differential evolution for Yagi-Uda antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 4, 449-461, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787612356
31. Li, G., S. Yang, M. Huang, and Z. Nie, "Sidelobe suppression in time modulated linear arrays with unequal element spacing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5--6, 775-783, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036368