In this paper, we propose a simplified particle probability hypothesis density (PHD) filter and its hardware implementation for multiple-target tracking (MTT). In the proposed algorithm, the update step of particle PHD filter is simplified and the time-varying number of measurements is arranged in combination series/parallel mode. This may result in fixed hardware architecture and therefore present a convenient hardware implementation of particle PHD filter. Simulation results indicate that for the MTT problems, this proposed simplified algorithm shows similar performance with the standard particle PHD filter but has faster processing rate. Experiment study shows that the proposed simplified algorithm can be efficiently implemented in hardware and can effectively solve the MTT problems.
"Simplified Particle PHD Filter for Multiple-Target Tracking: Algorithm and Architecture," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 120, 481-498, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11081901
1. Jiang, T., S. Qiao, Z. G. Shi, L. Peng, J. Huangfu, W. Z. Cui, W. Ma, and L. X. Ran, "Simulation and experimental evaluation of the radar signal performance of chaotic signals generated from a microwave Colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 15-30, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120104
2. Li, Y., Y. J. Gu, Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Robust adaptive beamforming based on particle filter with noise unknown," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 151-169, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09010302
3. Choi, G.-G., S.-H. Park, H.-T. Kim, and K.-T. Kim, "ISAR imaging of multiple targets based on particle swarm optimization and hough transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14--15, 1825-1834, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789932322
4. Guo, K.-Y., Q. Li, X.-Q, and Sheng, "A Precise recognition method of missile warhead and decoy in multi-target scene," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5--6, 641-652, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036250
5. Le Marshall, N. W. D. and A. Z. Tirkel, "Modified matrix pencil algorithm for termite detection with high resolution radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 51-67, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10060903
6. Li, M., G. Liao, and J. Liu, "Robust elevation prefiltering method for non-side looking airborne radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2191-2205, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699055
7. Chen, H. W., X. Li, J. Yang, W. Zhou, and Z. Zhuang, "Effects of geometry configurations on ambiguity properties for bistatic MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 117-133, 2011.
8. Blackman, S. S., Multiple Target Tracking with Radar Application, Artech House, Boston, 1986.
9. Bar-Shalom, Y. and X. R. Li, Multitarget-Multisensor Tracking: Principles and Techniques, YBS Publishing, Storrs, CT, 1995.
10. Chang, K. C. and Y. Bar-Shalom, "Joint probabilistic data association for multitarget tracking with possibly unresolved measurements and maneuvers," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, Vol. 29, No. 7, 585-594, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAC.1984.1103597
11. Roecker, J. A., "Suboptimal joint probabilistic data association," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 2, 510-517, 1993. doi:10.1109/7.210087
12. Blackman, S. S., "Multiple hypothesis tracking for multiple target tracking," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 19, No. 1, 5-18, 2004. doi:10.1109/MAES.2004.1263228
13. Joo, S. W. and R. Chellappa, "A multiple-Hypothesis approach for multiobject visual tracking," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 16, No. 11, 2849-2854, 2007. doi:10.1109/TIP.2007.906254
14. Mahler, R., "Multi-target Bayes filtering via first-order multi-target moment," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1152-1178, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAES.2003.1261119
15. Vo, B. N., S. Singh, and A. Doucet, "Sequential monte carlo methods for multi-target filtering with random finite sets," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 41, No. 4, 1224-1245, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAES.2005.1561884
16. Clark, D., I. T. Ruiz, Y. Petillot, and J. Bell, "Particle PHD filter multiple target tracking in sonar image," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, No. 1, 409-416, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAES.2007.357143
17. Wang, Y. D., J. K. Wu, A. A. Kassim, and W. M. Huang, "Data-driven probability hypothesis density filter for visual tracking," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1085-1095, 2008. doi:10.1109/TCSVT.2008.927105
18. Arulampalam, M. S., S. Maskell, N. Gordon, and T. Clapp, "A tutorial on particle filters for online nonlinear/non-Gaussian bayesian tracking," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 2, 174-187, 2002. doi:10.1109/78.978374
19. Ristic, B., S. Arulampalam, and N. Gordon, Beyond the Kalman Filter: Particle Filter for Tracking Applications, Artech House, Boston, 2004.
20. Zang, W., Z. G. Shi, S. C. Du, and K. S. Chen, "Novel roughening method for reentry vehicle tracking using particle filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1969-1981, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152975
21. Hong, S. H., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel roughening algorithm and hardware architecture for bearings-only tracking using particle filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2--3, 411-422, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160857
22. Shi, Z. G., S. H. Hong, and K. S. Chen, "Tracking airborne targets hidden in blind doppler using current statistical model particle filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 227-240, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08012407
23. Chen, J. F., Z. G. Shi, S. H. Hong, and K. S. Chen, "Grey prediction based particle filter for maneuvering target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 237-254, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09042204
24. Liu, H. Q., H. C. So, F. K. W. Chan, and K. W. K. Lui, "Distributed particle filter for target tracking in sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 11, 171-182, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09092905
25. Liu, H.-Q. and H.-C. So, "Target tracking with line-of-sight identification in sensor networks under unknown measurement noises," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 373-389, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09090701
26. Wang, Q., J. Li, M. Zhang, and C. Yang, "H-infinity filter based particle filter for maneuvering target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 103-116, 2011.
27. Wang, X. F., J. F. Chen, Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Fuzzy-control-based particle filter for maneuvering target tracking," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 1-15, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11051907
28. Athalye, A., M. Bolic, S. Hong, and P. M. Djuric, "Generic hardware architectures for sampling and resampling in particle filters," EURASIP Jounal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 2005, No. 17, 2888-2902, 2005. doi:10.1155/ASP.2005.2888
29. Hong, S. H., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "A low-power memory-efficient resampling architecture for particle filters," Circuit, System, and Signal Processing, Vol. 29, 155-167, 2010. doi:10.1007/s00034-009-9117-4
30. Estlick, M., M. Leeser, J. Theiler, and J. J. Szymanshi, "Algorithmic transformations in the implementation of K-means clustering on reconfigurable hardware," International Symposium on Field Programmable Gate Arrays, 103-110, 2001.
31. Saegusa, T. and T. Maruyama, "An FPGA implementation of real-time K-means clustering for color images," Journal of Real-Time Image Processing, Vol. 2, No. 4, 309-318, 2007. doi:10.1007/s11554-007-0055-8
32. Hoffman, J. R. and R. P. S. Mahler, "Multitarget miss distance via optimal assignment," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol. 34, No. 3, 327-336, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSMCA.2004.824848