We have studied a new type of double-negative metamaterials (DNMs) composed of split ring resonators (SRRs) and wire strips with substrate teflon, suitable for generation of reversed Cherenkov radiation (RCR) which is TM radiation. We have experimentally observed a narrow pass band in a circular waveguide partially loaded with the DNMs and stop bands for SRRs-only with teflon and for wire strips-only with teflon, respectively. The experimental data show that the DNMs exhibit double-negative behavior over a frequency band of interest. This study provides a foundation for future experiment to observe RCR emitted by charged particles.
"Experimental Demonstration of Double-Negative Metamaterials Partially Filled in a Circular Waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 121, 215-224, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11090502
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
2. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
3. Caloz, C., C.-C. Chang, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave verification of the fundamental properties of left-handed materials in waveguide configurations," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 92, No. 11, 5483-5486, 2011.
4. Seddon, N. and T. Bearpark, "Observation of the inverse doppler effect," Science, Vol. 302, No. 5650, 1537-1540, 2003.
5. Lu, J., T. M. Grzegorczyk, Y. Zhang, J. Pacheco, Jr., B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Crenkov radiation in materials with negative permittivity and permeability," Optics Express, Vol. 11, No. 7, 723-734, 2003.
6. Bliokh, Y. P., S. Savel'ev, and F. Nori, "Electron-beam instability in left-handed media," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 100, 244803, 2008.
7. Galyamin, S. N., A. V. Tyukhtin, A. Kanareykin, and P. Schoessow, "Reversed Cherenkov-transition radiation by a charge crossing a left-handed medium boundary," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 103, 194802, 2009.
8. Duan, Z. Y., B.-I. Wu, S. Xi, H. S. Chen, and M. Chen, "Research progress in reversed Cherenkov radiation in double-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 75-87, 2009.
9. Duan, Z. Y., B.-I. Wu, J. Lu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Reversed Cherenkov radiation in unbounded anisotropic double-negative metamaterials," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 42, 185102, 2009.
10. Antipov, S., L. Spentzours, W. Gai, M. Conde, F. Franchini, R. Konecny, W. Liu, J. G. Power, Z. Yusof, and C. Jing, "Observation of wakefield generation in left-handed band of metamaterial-loaded waveguide," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 104, 014901, 2008.
11. Xi, S., H. S. Chen, T. Jiang, L. X. Ran, J. T. Huangfu, B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Experimental verification of reversed Cherenkov radiation in left-handed metamaterial," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 103, 194801, 2009.
12. Pafomov, V. E., "Transition radiation and Cerenkov radiation," Soviet Physics JETP-USSR, Vol. 9, 1321-1324, 1959.
13. Shelby, R., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
14. Lepetit, T., É. Akmansoy, and J.-P. Ganne, "Experimental measurement of negative index in an all-dielectric metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 95, 121101, 2009.
15. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 85, 3966-3969, 2000.
16. Duan, Z. Y., B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, F. M. Kong, and S. Xi, "Enhancement of radiation properties of compact planar antenna using transformation media as substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 375-384, 2008.
17. Hwang, R.-B., H.-W. Liu, and C.-Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E-plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009.
18. Mirza, I. O., J. N. Sabas, S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Experimental demonstration of metamaterial-based phase modulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 1-12, 2009.
19. Chen, H. S., L. Huang, and X. X. Cheng, "Magnetic properties of metamaterial composed of closed rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 317-326, 2011.
20. Mirza, I., J. N. Sabas, S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Experimental demonstration of metamaterial-based phase modulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 1-12, 2009.
21. Kuo, C.-W., S.-Y. Chen, Y.-D. Wu, and M.-H. Chen, "Analyzing the multilayer optical planar waveguides with double-negative metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 163-178, 2010.
22. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, and T. Masri, "Microstrip antenna's gain enhancement using left-handed metamaterial structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 8, 235-247, 2009.
23. Navarro-Cia, M., J. M. Carrasco, M. Beruete, and F. J. Falcone, "Ultra-wideband metamaterial filter based on electroinductive-wave coupling between microstrips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 12, 141-150, 2009.
24. Wu, Z., B.-Q. Zeng, S. Zhong, and , "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010.
25. Alici, K. B., A. E. Serebryannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Radiation properties and coupling analysis of a metamaterial based, dual polarization, dual band, multiple split ring resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1183-1193, 2010.
26. Barker, D. and W. R. Owens, "Smith-Purcell radiation source using negative metamaterial (NIM)," United States Patent, 2008.
27. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516-1529, 2003.
28. Aydin, K., K. Guven, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Observation of negative refraction and negative phase velocity in left-handed metamaterials," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 86, 124102, 2005.
29. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, left-handed metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, 489-491, 2001.
30. Shchegolkov, D. Y., A. K. Azad, J. F. O'Hara, and E. I. Smirnova, "A proposed measurement of the reverse Cherenkov radiation e®ect in a metamaterial-loaded circular waveguide ," 33rd International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Pasadena, USA, Sep. 15-19, 2008.
31. Duan, Z. Y., B.-I.Wu, J. Lu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Reversed Cherenkov radiation in a waveguide fiilled with anisotropic double-negative metamaterials," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 104, 063303, 2008.
32. Duan, Z. Y., B.-I. Wu, J. Lu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Cherenkov radiation in anisotropic double-negative metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 16, No. 22, 18479-18484, 2008.
33. Duan, Z. Y., C. Guo, and M. Chen, "Enhanced reversed Cherenkov radiation in a waveguide with double-negative metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 19, No. 15, 13825-13830, 2011.
34. Aydin, K., K. Guven, M. Kafesaki, L. Zhang, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Experimental observation of true left-handed transmission peaks in metamaterials," Optics Letters, Vol. 29, 2623-2625, 2004.
35. Katsarakis, N., T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, E. N. Economou, E. Ozbay, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Left- and right-handed transmission peaks near the magnetic resonance frequency in composite metamaterials ," Physical Review B, Vol. 70, 201101(R), 2004.