Cylindrical EBG structures excited by a Hertzian dipole source and TM polarized plane wave at oblique incidence are analyzed using a rigorous semi-analytical method based on the cylindrical Floquet mode expansion. Concentric and eccentric cylindrical EBG structures are investigated. Resonance and stopband characteristics in the transmission spectra of the cylindrical EBG structures, enhancement and shading effects in the excited fields, radiation patterns of Hertzian dipole located inside the cylindrical EBG structures in both H-plane and E-plane are numerically studied. Co-polarization and cross-polarizations scattering effects between the electric and magnetic fields are investigated at the oblique incidence of plane waves.
1. Petit, R., Electromagnetic Theory of Gratings, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1980.
2. Yasumoto, K., "Electromagnetic Theory and Applications for Photonic Crystals," CRC Press, New York, 2005.
3. Yasumoto, K. and K. Yoshitomi, "Efficient calculation of lattice sums for free-space periodic Green's function," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1050-1055, Jun. 1999.
4. Tayeb, G. and D. Maystre, "Rigorous theoretical study of finite-size two-dimensional photonic crystals doped by microcavities," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 14, No. 12, 3323-3332, 1997.
5. Yasumoto, K., H. Toyama, and T. Kushta, "Accurate analysis of two-dimensional electromagnetic scattering from multilayered periodic arrays of circular cylinders using lattice sums technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2603-2611, 2004.
6. Pelosi, G., A. Cocchi, and A. Monorchio, "A hybrid FEM-based procedure for the scattering from photonic crystals illuminated by a Gaussian beam," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, 973-980, 2000.
7. Qiu, M. and S. He, "A nonorthogonal finite-difference time-domain method for computing the band structure of a two-dimensional photonic crystal with dielectric and metallic inclusions," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 87, No. 12, 8268-8275, 2000.
8. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and B. Gupta, "Directivity of radiation from a localized source coupled to electromagnetic crystals," International Journal of Infrared, Millimetre and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 30, No. 10, 1102-1112, 2009.
9. Russell, P. S., "Photonic-crystal fibers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 24, No. 12, 4729-4749, 2006.
10. Knight, J. C., J. Broeng, T. A. Birks, and P. S. J. Russell, "Photonic band gap guidance in optical fibers," Science, Vol. 282, 1476-1478, 1998.
11. Boutayeb, H. and T. Denidni, "Metallic cylindrical EBG structures with defects: Directivity analysis and design optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 3356-3361, 2007.
12. Biancotto, C. and P. Record, "Design of a beam forming dielectric cylindrical EBG antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 18, 327-346, 2009.
13. Chreim, H., M. Hajj, E. Arnaud, B. Jecko, C. Dall'omo, and P. Dufrane, "Multibeam antenna for telecommunications networks using cylindrical EBG structures ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 665-669, 2009.
14. Palikaras, G., A. Feresidis, and J. Vardaxoglou, "Cylindrical electromagnetic bandgap structures for directive base station antennas ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 87-89, 2004.
15. Yasumoto, K. and H. Jia, "Modeling of photonic crystals by layered periodic arrays of cylinders," Electromagnetic Theory and Applications for Photonic Crystals, K. Yasumoto (ed.), 123-190, CRC Press, 2005.
16. Yasumoto, K., V. Jandieri, and B. Gupta, Guidance and scattering of electromagnetic waves by layered cylindrical arrays of circular rods, Proc. IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conference, 1-4, Kolkata, India, 2009.
17. Jandieri, V. and K. Yasumoto, "Electromagnetic scattering by layered cylindrical arrays of circular rods," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 2437-2441, 2011.
18. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
19. Elsherbeni, A. and A. Kishk, "Modeling of cylindrical objects by circular dielectric and conducting cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, No. 1, 96-99, Jan. 1992.
20. Henin, B. H., M. H. Al Sharkawy, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Scattering of obliquely incident plane wave by an array of parallel concentric metamaterials cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 285-307, 2007.
21. Yasumoto, K., "Semi-analytical approach for a specific microstructured fiber," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 1, 95-100, 2009.
22. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, A. Sharma, and H. Chauhan, "Modal analysis of specific microstructured optical fibers using a model of layered cylindrical arrays of circular rods," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. 93, No. 1, 17-23, 2010.
23. Jandieri, V. and K. Yasumoto, "Analysis of scattering from a finite array of circular cylinders using a model of layered cylindrical arrays," Optics Communications, Vol. 284, 4109-4113, 2011.
24. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and Y.-K. Cho, "Analysis of radiation from line source located in cylindrical electromagnetic bandgap structures with defects," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. 94, No. 8, 1245-1252, 2011.
25. Jakoby, B., "Scattering of obliquely incident waves by an impedance cylinder with inhomogeneous bianisotropic coating," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 4, 648-655, 1997.
26. Okamoto, N. and R. Yamada, "General properties of electromagnetic scattering by inhomogeneous anisotropic composite obstacles of arbitrary shape ," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 44, No. 5, 2161-2165, 1973.
27. Abramowitz, M. and I. Stegun, "Handbook of Mathematical Functions," Dover Publications, 1965.
28. Polewski, M. and J. Mazur, "Scattering by an array of conducting, lossy dielectric, ferrite and pseudochiral cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 38, 283-310, 2002.
29. Jandieri, V. and K. Yasumoto, "Stopband and resonance characteristics of cylindrical electromagnetic bandgap structures," PIERS Proceedings, 198-202, Suzhou, China, Sep. 12-16, 2011.