A comprehensive facet model for bistatic synthetic aperture radar (Bis-SAR) imagery of dynamic ocean scene is presented in this paper. An efficient facet scattering model is developed to calculate the radar cross section (RCS) of the ocean surface for Bis-SAR firstly. Further more, this facet model is combined with a bistatic velocity bunching ($VB$) modulation of long ocean waves to obtain the Bis-SAR intensity expression in image plane of ocean scene. The displacement of the scatter elements in the image plane and the degradation of radar resolution in azimuth direction are quantificationally analyzed. Finally, Bis-SAR imagery simulations of ocean surface are illustrated, proving the validity and practicability of the presented algorithms.
1. Zecchetto, S., F. De Biasio, and P. Trivero, "A wavelet technique to extract the backscatter signatures from SAR images of the sea," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 7, 696-700, 2009. doi:10.2529/PIERS090218071008
2. Hasselmann, K., R. K. Raney, W. Alpers, R. A. Shuchman, D. R. Lyzenga, C. L. Rufenach, and M. J. Tucker, "Theory of synthetic aperture radar ocean imaging: A MARSEN view," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 90, 4659-4686, 1985. doi:10.1029/JC090iC03p04659
3. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110101
4. Zhao, Y. W., M. Zhang, and H. Chen, "An efficient ocean SAR raw signal simulation by employing fast fourier transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2273-2284, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699064
5. Franceschetti, G., "On ocean SAR raw signal simulation," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 36, 84-100, 1998. doi:10.1109/36.655320
6. Zhang, M., Y. W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W.-Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11071501
7. Baussard, A., M. Rochdi, and A. Khenchaf, "PO/mec-based scattering model for complex objects on a sea surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 229-251, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10083005
8. Wu, J., J. Yang, Y. Huang, Z. Liu, and H. Yang, "A new look at the point target reference spectrum for bistatic SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 363-379, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11050704
9. Sun, J., S. Mao, G. Wang, and W. Hong, "Polar format algorithm for spotlight bistatic SAR with arbitrary geometry configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 323-338, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030703
10. Gierull, C. H., Bistatic synthetic aperture radar, Technical Report, DRDC Ottawa, TR 2004-190, November 2004.
11. Loffeld, O., H. Nies, V. Peters, and S. Knedlik, "Models and useful relations for bistatic SAR processing," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, 2031-2038, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.835295
12. Yarman, C. E., B. Yazici, and M. Cheney, "Bistatic synthetic aperture radar imaging for arbitrary flight trajectories," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 17, 84-93, 2008. doi:10.1109/TIP.2007.911812
13. Comblet, F., A. Khenchaf, A. Baussard, and F. Pellen, "Bistatic synthetic aperture radar imaging: Theory, simulations and validations," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3529-3540, November 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.884223
14. Arnold-Bos, A., A. Khenchaf, and A. Martin, "Bistatic radar imaging of the marine environment Part I: Theoretical background," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 1, 3372-3383, November 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.897436
15. Arnold-Bos, A., A. Khenchaf, and A. Martin, "Bistatic radar imaging of the marine environment. Part 2: Simulation and results analysis," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 11, 3384-3396, November 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.899812
16. Kassem, M. J. B., J. Saillard, and A. Khenchaf, "BISAR mapping I. theory and modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 39-65, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05092201
17. Bass, F.G. and I. M. Fuks, Wave Scattering from Statistically Rough Surfaces, 418-442, Pergamon Press Oxford, New York, 1979.
18. Ji, W.-J. and C.-M. Tong, "Bistatic scattering from two-dimensional dielectric ocean rough surface with a PEC object partially embedded by using the g-smcg method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 119-139, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10041101
19. Valenzuela, G. R., "Theories for the interaction of electromagnetic and oceanic waves --- A review," Boundary-Layer Meteorology, Vol. 13, 61-85, 1978. doi:10.1007/BF00913863
20. Vaitilingom, L. and A. Khenchaf, "Radar cross sections of sea and ground clutter estimated by two scale model and small slope approximation in hf-VHF bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 311-338, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11021607
21. Qi, C., Z. Zhao, W. Yang, Z.-P. Nie, and G. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering and doppler analysis of three-dimensional breaking wave crests at low-grazing angles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 239-252, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11062401
22. Taboada, J. M., M. G. Araujo, J. M. Bertolo, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "MLFMA-FFT parallel algorithm for the solution of large-scale problems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 15-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10041603
23. Bass, F. G., et al., "Very high frequency radiowave scattering by a disturbed sea surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 16, No. 5, 554-568, 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139243
24. Franceschetti, G., M. Migliaccio, D. Riccio, and G. Schirinzi, "SARAS: A synthetic apertureradar (SAR) raw signal simulator," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, 110-123, 1992. doi:10.1109/36.124221
25. Alpers, W. R., D. B. Ross, and C. L. Rufenach, "On the detectability of ocean surface waves by real and synthetic aperture radar," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 86, 6481-6498, 1981. doi:10.1029/JC086iC07p06481
26. Alers, W., "Monte carlo simulations for studying thc relationship between ocean wave and synthetic aperture radar image spectra," Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol. 88, 1745-1759, 1983. doi:10.1029/JC088iC03p01745
27. Alpers, W., C. Bruning, and K. Richter, "Comparison of simulated and measured synthetic aperture radar image spectra with buoy-derived ocean wave spectra during the shuttle imaging radar-B mission," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, 559-566, 1986. doi:10.1109/TGRS.1986.289671
28. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
29. Fung, A. K. and K. Lee, "A semi-empirical sea-spectrum model for scattering coefficient estimation," IEEE J. Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 4, 166-176, 1982. doi:10.1109/JOE.1982.1145535
30. Awada, A., M. Y. Ayari, A. Khenchaf, and A. Coatanhay, "Bistatic scattering from an anisotropic sea surface: Numerical comparison between the first-order SSA and the TSM models," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 16, No. 3, 383-394, 2006. doi:10.1080/17455030600844089
31. Bruninng, C., W. Alpers, and K. Hasselmann, "Monte-carlo simulation studies of the nonlinear imaging of a two dimensional surface wave field by a SAR," International Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 11, 1695-1727, 1990. doi:10.1080/01431169008955125
32. Vachon, P. W., "Ship detection by RADARSAT SAR: Validation of detection model predictions," Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 23, 48-59, 1997.
33. Arnold-Bos, A., A. Khenchaf, and A. Martin, "Bistatic radar imaging of the marine environment, Part 2: Simulation and results analysis," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 11, 3384-3396, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.899812