This study respectively uses two optimizers, iterative Taguchi's method and particle swarm optimization, combined with the method of moments to optimize a logotype planar antenna for multiband applications. The proposed antenna consists of four metal letters, NCNU, which is the abbreviation of the authors' university name. This antenna can be used for university logo or advertisement applications. The antenna also serves as an example to compare the optimization performance of these two optimizers. Optimization results show that Taguchi's method achieves much better optimization performance than particle swarm optimization. This study also investigates the electromagnetic characteristics of the proposed antenna by parametric study using simulation. The presented optimization methods could be applied to designing similar logotype antennas.
1. LaKomski and D. Marie, Logo antenna, US Patent 6667719, Dec. 23, 2003.
2. Chow, Y. L. and C. W. Fung, The city university logo patch antenna, Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., Vol. 1, 229-232, Hong Kong, China, 1997.
3. Lin, Y. F., H. M. Chen, and K. L. Wong, "Parametric study of dual-band operation in a microstrip-fed uniplanar monopole antenna," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 150, No. 6, 411-414, Dec. 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20030855
4. Chiu, C.-W., C.-H. Chang, and Y.-J. Chi, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011601
5. Hung, C. L. and W. C. Weng, An NCNU-shape planar antenna for multiband applications, Proc. Asia Pacific Microwave Conf., 1990-1993, Singapore, 2009.
6. Cabedo, J. A., C. Picher, M. Ribó, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna combining a PIFA, slots, and ground plane modes," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2526-2533, Sep. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027039
7. Anguera, J., I. Sanz, J. Mumbrú, and C. Puente, "Multi-band handset antenna with a parallel excitation of PIFA and slot radiators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 348-356, Feb. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2038183
8. Andújar, A., J. Anguera, and C. Puente, "Ground plane boosters as a compact antenna technology for wireless handheld devices," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1668-1677, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2122299
9. Liao, W.-J., S.-H. Chang, and L.-K. Li, "A compact planar multiband antenna for integrated mobile devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 1-16, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10083001
10. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, Electromagnetics and Antenna Optimization using Taguchi's Method, Morgan & Claypool, San Rafael, California, 2008.
11. Kennedy, J. and R. C. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, Proc. Int. Conf. Neural Netw., Vol. 4, 1942-1948, Perth, Australia, 1995.
13. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Linear antenna array synthesis using Taguchi's method: A novel optimization technique in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 723-730, Mar. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.891548
14. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122306
15. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, Design of an ultra-wideband antenna using Taguchi's optimization method, Applied Computational Electromagnetics Symposium, Niagara Falls, Canada, Mar. 2008.
16. Weng, W. C., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Electromagnetic optimization using Taguchi's method: A case study of band pass filter design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., 5769-5772, 2007.
17. Weng, W. C. and C. T. M. Choi, "Optimal design of CPW slot antennas using Taguchi's method," IEEE Trans. on Magn., Vol. 45, No. 3, 1542-1545, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012737
18. Sloane, N. J. A., A library of orthogonal array, [Online]. Available: http://www.research.att.com/~njas/oadir/.
19. Taguchi, G., S. Chowdhury, and Y. Wu, Taguchi's Quality Engineering Handbook, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
20. Robinson, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Particle swarm optimization in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 24, 397-407, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823969
21. Zaharis, Z. D. and T. V. Yioultsis, "A novel adaptive beamforming technique applied on linear antenna arrays using adaptive mutated boolean PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 165-179, 2011.
22. Zhang, Y., S. Wang, and L. Wu, "A novel method for magnetic resonance brain image classification based on adaptive chaotic PSO," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 325-343, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10090105
23. Lin, D.-B., F.-N. Wu, W. S. Liu, C. K. Wang, and H.-Y. Shih, "Crosstalk and discontinuities reduction on multi-module memory bus by particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 53-74, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080302
24. Liu, D., Q. Feng, W.-B.Wang, and X. Yu, "Synthesis of unequally spaced antenna arrays by using inheritance learning particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 205-221, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11050502
25. Wang, D., H. Zhang, T. Xu, H. Wang, and G. Zhang, "Design and optimization of equal split broadband microstrip Wilkinson power divider using enhanced particle swarm optimization algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 321-334, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11052303
26. Li, W.-T., Y.-Q. Hei, and X.-W. Shi, "Pattern synthesis of conformal arrays by a modified particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 237-252, 2011.
27. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
28. IEEE 802.16-2004, IEEE standard for local and metropolitan area networks --- Part 16: Air interface for fixed broadband wireless access systems, Oct. 2004.