The influence of semi-planar chiral metamaterial (CMM) structures on the important characteristics of circularly polarized (CP) antennas is investigated in this paper. Based on this idea, CP planar two-arm Archimedean spiral (ARSPL) antenna and helical antenna are designed and the effects of chiral covers on their gain (or directivity), axial-ratio (AR), and return loss are considered. The results demonstrate that this method is greatly effective and the addition of a semi-planar CMM cover at an optimized distance over the CP antenna, significantly improves its gain and axial ratio.
1. Semichaevsky, A. and A. Akyurtlu, "Homogenization of metamaterial-loaded substrates and superstrates for antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 129-147, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07021001
2. Singh, G., "Double negative left-handed metamaterials for miniaturization of rectangular microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Analysis & Applications, Vol. 2, 347-351, 2010. doi:10.4236/jemaa.2010.26044
3. Lee, J. and Y. Hao, "Characterization of microstrip patch antennas on metamaterial substrates loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23596
4. Alu, J., F. Bilotti, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Subwavelength compact, resonant patch antenna loaded with metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 1, Jan. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888401
5. Li, L.-W., Y.-N. T. S. Yeo, J. R. Mosig, and O. J. F. Martin, "A broadband and high-gain metamaterial microstrip antenna," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 164101, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3396984
6. Chaimool, S., K. L. Chung, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "Simultaneous gain and bandwidths enhancement of a single-feed circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using a metamaterial reflective surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 23-37, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10031901
7. Griguer, H., E. Marzolf, H. Lalj, F. Riouch, and M. Drissi, "Patch antenna bandwidth enhancement through the use of metamaterials," International Conference on Telecommunications, 2009, ICT'09, 2009.
8. Enoch, S., G. Tayeb, P. Sabouroux, N. Guerin, and P. Vincent, "A metamaterial for directive emission," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 89, 2002. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.89.213902
9. Hu, J., et al., "A new patch antenna with metamaterial cover," Zhejiang University SCIENCE A, Vol. 7, 89-94, 2006. doi:10.1631/jzus.2006.A0089
10. Attia, H., L. Yousefi, M. S. Boybay, and O. M. Ramahi, "Enhanced-gain microstrip antenna using engineered magnetic superstrates," IEEE Antennas Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 2009.
11. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
12. Attia, H., L. Yousefi, and O. M. Ramahi, "Analytical model for calculating the radiation field of microstrip antennas with artificial magnetic superstrates theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2122295
13. Chen, K.-S., K.-H. Lin, and H.-L. Su, "Microstrip antenna gain enhancement by metamaterial radome with more subwavelength holes," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2009, APMC 2009, 2009.
14. Xiao, X. and H. Xu, "Low refractive metamaterials for gain enhancement of horn antenna," Journal of Infrared Milli Terahz Waves, Vol. 30, 225-232, 2009. doi:10.1007/s10762-008-9449-3
15. Tretyakov, S., I. Nefedov, A. Sihvola, S. Maslovski, and C. Simovski, "Waves and energy in chiral nihility," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 5, 695-706, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322226356
16. Dong, J., "Exotic characteristics of power propagation in the chiral nihility fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 163-178, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09102801
17. Dong, J., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
18. Naqvi, A., A. Hussain, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Waves in fractional dual planar waveguides containing chiral nihility metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11--12, 1575-1586, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149614
19. Dong, J. F. and C. Xu, "Surface polaritons in planar chiral nihility metamaterial waveguides," Opt. Commun., Vol. 282, 3899-3904, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2009.06.054
20. Tuz, V. R. and C.-W. Qiu, "Semi-infinite chiral nihility photonics: Parametric dependence, wave tunneling and rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 139-152, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030706
21. Naqvi, Q. A., "Fractional dual solutions in grounded chiral nihility slab and their effect on outside field," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5--6, 773-784, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019958
22. Qamar, S. R., A. Naqvi, A. A. Syed, and Q. A. Naqvi, "Radiation characteristics of elementary sources located in unbounded chiral nihility metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5--6, 713-722, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827294
23. Ahmad, S. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Directive EM radiation of a line source in the presence of a coated nihility cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 5--6, 761-771, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788019886
25. Mackay, T. G., "Plane waves with negative phase velocity in isotropic chiral mediums," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 120-121, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.20742
26. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Comparison of chiral metamaterial designs for repulsive Casimir force," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 81, 235126, 2010. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.81.235126
27. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 035407, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.035407
28. Zhou, J., J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 121104, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.121104
29. Li, Z., R. Zhao, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four ``U'' split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, 081901, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3457448
30. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zhang, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285173
31. Zhao, R., L. Zhang, J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Conjugated gammadion chiral metamaterial with uniaxial optical activity and negative refractive index," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, 035105, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.83.035105
32. Li, Z., K. B. Alici, E. Colak, and E. Ozbay, "Complementary chiral metamaterials with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 98, 161907, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3574909
33. Li, Z., F.-Q. Yang, and J. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
34. Ye, Y. and S. He, "90° polarization rotator using a bilayered chiral metamaterial with giant optical activity," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 96, 203501, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3429683
35. Ye, Y., X. Li, F. Zhuang, and S.-W. Chang, "Homogeneous circular polarizers using a bilayered chiral metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 031111, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3615054
36. Illahi, A. and Q. A. Naqvi, "Study of focusing of electromagnetic waves reflected by a PEMC backed chiral nihility reflector using Maslov's method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 7, 863-873, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309788355216
37. Jin, Y. and S. He, "Focusing by a slab of chiral medium," Optics Express, Vol. 13, No. 13, 4974-4979, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.004974
38. Monzon, C. and D. W. Forester, "Negative refraction and focusing of circularly polarized waves in optically active media," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 95, 123904, 2005. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.95.123904
39. Wang, B., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Wide-angle and polarization-independent chiral metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 80, 033108, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.80.033108
40. Cheng, Q., W. X. Jiang, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations of the electromagnetic properties of three-dimensional arbitrarily-shaped cloaks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 105-117, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060705
41. Luo, Y., J. Zhang, H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and L.-X. Ran, "Wave and ray analysis of a type of cloak exhibiting magnified and shifted scattering effect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 167-178, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09070805
42. Lindell, I. V., A. H. Sihvola, S. A. Tretyakov, and A. J. Viitanen, Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-isotropic Media, Artech House, Boston, 1994.
43. Serdyukov, A., I. Semchenko, S. Tretyakov, and A. Sihvola, Electromagnetics of Bi-anisotropic Materials Theory and Applications, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, 2001.
44. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials: Retrieval of the effective parameters with and without substrate," Optics Express, Vol. 18, No. 14, Jul. 2010.