This paper presents two design-and-analysis cases of a line-start axial-flux permanent-magnet motor: with solid rotor and with composite rotor. For a novel structure of the motor, two concentric unilevel spaced raised rings are added to the inner and outer radii of its rotors to enable auto-start capability. The composite rotor was coated by a thin (0.05 mm) layer of copper. The basic equations for the solid rotor ring were extracted. The motor's lack of symmetry necessitated 3D time-stepping finite element analysis, conducted via Vector Field Opera 14.0, which evaluated the design parameters and predicted the motor's transient performance. Results of the FEA show the composite rotor significantly improving both starting torque and synchronization capability over solid rotor.
Nasrudin Abd Rahim,
Hew Wooi Ping,
"Improvement to Performance of Solid-Rotor-Ringed Line-Start Axial-Flux Permanent-Magnet Motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 124, 383-404, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11122501
1. Fei, W., P. Luk, J. Ma, J. X. Shen, and G. Yang, "A high-performance line-start permanent magnet synchronous motor amended from a small industrial three-phase induction motor ," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4724-4727, Oct. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2022179
2. Knight, A. M. and C. I. McClay, "The design of high-efficiency line-start motors," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 36, No. 36, 1555-1562, Nov.-Dec. 2000.
3. Aliabad, A. D., M. Mirsalim, and N. F. Ershad, "Line-start permanent-magnet motors: significant improvements in starting torque, synchronization, and steady-state performance," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 46, No. 12, 4066-4072, Dec. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2010.2070876
4. Cavagnino, A., M. Lazzari, F. Profumo, and A. Tenconi, "A comparison between the axial flux and the radial flux structures for PM synchronous motors," IEEE Transaction on Industrial Applications, Vol. 38, No. 6, 1517-1524, Nov.-Dec. 2002. doi:10.1109/TIA.2002.805572
5. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Analytical method for determining axial-flux permanent-magnet machine sensitivity to design variables," International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), Vol. 5, No. 5, 2039-2048, Sep.-Oct. 2010.
6. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "An analytical complementary fea tool for optimizing of axial-flux permanent-magnet machines," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics Machines (IJEAM), Vol. 37, No. 1, 19-34, Sept. 2011.
7. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and H. W. Ping, "Genetic algorithm and finite element analysis for optimum design of slotted torus axial-flux permanent-magnet brushless DC motor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 33, 383-407, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11070204
8. Rahim, N. A., W. P. Hew, and A. Mahmoudi, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet brushless DC traction motor for direct drive of electric vehicle," International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), Vol. 6, No. 2, 760-769, Apr. 2011.
9. Ding, T., N. Takorabet, F. M. Sargos, and X. Wang, "Design and analysis of di®erent line-start pm synchronous motors for oil-pump applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1816-1819, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012772
10. Honsinger, V. B., "Permanent magnet machines: Asychronous operation," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 99, No. 4, 1503-1509, Jul. 1980. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1980.319574
11. Kim, B. T. and B. I. Kwon, "Influence of space harmonics on starting performance of a single-phase line start permanentmagnet motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 22, 4668-4672, Dec. 2008.
12. Marcic, T., B. Stumberger, G. Stumberger, M. Hadziselimovic, P. Virtic, and D. Dolinar, "Line-starting three-and single-phase interior permanent magnet synchronous motors - direct comparison to induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 44, No. 11, 4413-4416, Nov. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2008.2001537
13. Miller, T. J. E., "Synchronization of line-start permanentmagnet AC motors," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 103, No. 7, 1822-1828, Jul. 1984. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1984.318630
14. Peralta-Sanchez, E. and A. Smith, "Line-start permanent-magnet machines using a canned rotor," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 45, No. 3, 903-910, May-Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/TIA.2009.2018981
15. Rahman, M. A. and T. A. Little, "Dynamic performance analysis of permanent magnet synchronous motors magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems, Vol. 103, No. 6, 1277-1282, Jun. 1984. doi:10.1109/TPAS.1984.318460
16. Rahman, M. A., A. M. Osheiba, and M. A. Choudhury, "Run-up response of polyphase permanent magnet synchronous motors," Electric Machines and Power Systems, Vol. 9, No. 4-5, 347-356, 1984. doi:10.1080/07313568408955540
17. Rahman, M. A., A. M. Osheiba, and T. S. Radwan, "Synchronization process of line-start permanent magnet synchronous motors," Electric Machine and Power Systems, Vol. 25, No. 6, 577-592, 1997. doi:10.1080/07313569708955761
18. Sarma, M., "Current-density distribution in solid-rotor induction motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 15, No. 6, 1473-1475, Nov. 1979. doi:10.1109/TMAG.1979.1060410
19. Sarma, M. S. and G. R. Soni, "Solid-rotor and compositerotor induction machines," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, 147-155, Mar. 1972. doi:10.1109/TAES.1972.309483
20. Wilson, J. C., E. A. Erdelyi, and R. E. Hopkins, "Aerospace composite-rotor induction motors," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace, Vol. 3, No. 2, 18-23, Jun. 1965. doi:10.1109/TA.1965.4319776
21. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet machine modeling, design, simulation, and analysis," Scientific Research and Essay (SRE), Vol. 6, No. 12, 2525-2549, Jun. 2011.
22. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "TORUS and AFIR axial-flux permanent-magnet machines: A comparison via finite Element Analysis," International Review on Modelling and Simulations (IREMOS), Vol. 4, No. 2, 624-631, Apr. 2011.
23. Muller, G., K. Vogt, and B. Ponick, Berechnung Elektrischer Maschinen, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2008.
24. Vogt, K. and G. Muller, Elektrische Maschinen Berechnung Rotierender Elektrischer Maschinen, VebVerlagTechnik, Berlin, 1988.
25. Richter, R. and R. Bruderlink, ElektrischeMaschinen: Die Induktionsmachinen, Vol. 4, BirkhauserVerlag, Basel, 1954.
26. Bianchi, N., Electrical Machine Analysis using Finite Element, Taylor & Francis, CRC Press, 2005.
27. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11090402
28. Zhao, W., M. Cheng, R. Cao, and J. Ji, "Experimental comparison of remedial single-channel operations for redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 189-204, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110405
29. Jian, L., G. Xu, G. Yu, J. Song, J. Liang, and M. Chang, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of a novel magnetic-gear-integrated wind power generator using time-stepping finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 351-367, 2011.
30. Touati, S., R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Djerdir, "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10092303
31. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "FEM analysis of angular misalignment fault in srm magnetostatic characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 31-48, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10041406
32. Torkaman, H., E. Afjei, and , "Comparison of two types of dual layer generator in field assisted mode utilizing 3D-FEM and experimental verification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 293-309, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10060808
33. Vaseghi, B., N. Takorabet, and F. Meibody-Tabar, "Transient finite element analysis of induction machines with stator winding turn fault," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 1-18, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09052004
34. , , , Opera Version 14.0 User Guide, Vector Fields, 2011, http://www.cobham.com.
35. Ong, C. M., Dynamic Simulation of Electric Machinery: Using MATLAB/Simulink, Prentice Hall PTR, New Jersey, 1998.