A novel peer-to-peer (P2P) interconnection architecture in a 60-GHz millimeter-wave (mm-wave) radio-over-fiber (RoF) access network is proposed for the first time. In this scheme, the beating of the lightwaves for downlink and P2P transmissions at the photodiode (PD) can provide signal up-conversion for both signals. Phase noise and frequency instability between the two independent lightwaves can be eliminated by a self-heterodyned radio frequency (RF) receiver (envelope detector) located on the user terminal, which can also down-convert simultaneously the two mm-wave signals to their associated intermediate frequencies. No high-frequency clock sources or other high bandwidth devices are required for signal up/down-conversions. A proof-of-concept experimental demonstration has also been carried out. Error-free transmission of the 1-Gb/ signals is achieved over 50-km fiber (downlink) or 25-km fiber (P2P) plus 4-m air link.
"A Novel Architecture for Peer-to-Peer Interconnect in Millimeter-Wave Radio-Over
-Fiber Access Networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 139-148, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012701
1. Ogawa, H., D. Polifko, and S. Banba, "Millimeter wave fiber optics systems for personal radio communication," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 12, 2285-2293, 1992. doi:10.1109/22.179892
2. Jia, Z., J. Yu, G. Ellinas, and G.-K. Chang, "Key enabling technologies for optical-wireless networks: Optical millimeter-wave generation, wavelength reuse, and architecture," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 25, No. 11, 3452-3471, 2007. doi:10.1109/JLT.2007.909201
3. Nirmalathas, A., P. Gamage, C. Lim, D. Novak, and R. Waterhouse, "Digitized radio-over-fiber technologies for converged optical wireless access network," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 28, No. 16, 2366-2375, 2010. doi:10.1109/JLT.2010.2051017
4. Fu, X., C. Cui, and S.-C. Chan, "Optically injected semiconductor laser for photonic microwave frequency mixing in radio-over-fiber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 849-860, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285236
5. Lu, H.-H., C.-Y. Li, C.-H. Lee, Y.-C. Hsiao, and H.-W. Chen, "Radio-over-fiber transport systems based on DFB LD with main and -1 side modes injection-locked technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 25-33, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09011604
6. Narayanan, S. R., D. Braun, J. Buford, R. S. Fish, A. D. Gelman, A. Kaplan, R. Khandelwal, E. Shim, and H. Yu, "Peer-to-peer streaming for networked consumer electronics," IEEE Communication Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 6, 124-131, 2007. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2007.374436
7. Zheng, Z., J. Wang, and J. Wang, "A study of network throughput gain in optical-wireless (FiWi) networks subject to peer-to-peer communications," IEEE International Conference on Communications, 1-6, 2009.
8. Yang, B., X.-F. Jin, X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and S. L. Zheng, "Photonic generation of 60 GHz millimeter-wave by frequency quadrupling based on a mode-locking SOA fiber ring laser with a low modulation depth MZM ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1773-1782, 2010.
9. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10091706
10. Vegas Olmos, J. J., T. Kuri, T. Sono, K. Tamura, H. Toda, and K.-I. Kitayama, "Wireless and optical-integrated access network ith peer-to-peer connection capability ," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 3, 1127-1129, 2008. doi:10.1109/LPT.2008.924657
11. Li, Y., J. Wang, C. Qiao, A. Gumaste, Y. Xu, and Y. Xu, "Integrated fiber-wireless (FiWi) access networks supporting inter-ONU communications," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 28, No. 5, 714-724, 2010. doi:10.1109/JLT.2009.2038598
12. Shoji, Y., K. Hamaguchi, and H. Ogawa, "Millimeter-wave remote self-heterodyne system for extremely stable and low-cost broad-band signal transmission," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1458-1468, 2002. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.1006406
13. Choi, C.-S., Y. Shoji, and H. Ogawa, "Millimeter-wave fiber-fed wireless access systems based on dense wavelength-division-multiplexing networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 232-241, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.912219
14. Choi, C.-S. and Y. Shoji, "Third-order intermodulation distortion characteristics of millimeter-wave self-heterodyne transmission techniques," Asia-Paci¯c Microw. Conf., 343-347, 2006.
15. Wong, E. and C.-J. Chae, "CSMA/CD-based ethernet passive optical network with optical internetworking capability among users," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 9, 2195-2197, 2004. doi:10.1109/LPT.2004.833047