An efficient strategy for reducing the signature of an antenna is to substitute the conventional solid ground plane with a patterned ground plane thus letting the incoming energy to pass through the structure except over the operating band of the antenna. However, in a real environment, the energy flowing through the FSS (Frequency Selective Surface) can be intercepted by eventual scatterers located behind the antenna, so to nullify the RCS (Radar Cross Section) reduction. To overcome this drawback, a novel composite structure is proposed which is able to dissipate such energy by placing a thin absorbing layer below the FSS ground. It is shown that a careful analysis has to be performed to accomplish this goal since the transparent antenna array and the backing absorber strongly interact and thus they cannot be separately designed. The optimal value of the foam spacer thickness between the FSS ground and the absorbing layer is investigated by an efficient equivalent transmission line approach. Criteria for enlarging the low-RCS band with respect to the free space design are also provided. An antenna array prototype backed by the thin multilayer structure is finally manufactured and tested.
"A Frequency Selective Absorbing Ground Plane for Low-RCS Microstrip Antenna Arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 317-332, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012904
1. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, 2nd Ed., SciTech Publication, Raleigh, NC, 2004.
2. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas, 3rd Ed., Mc Graw-Hill, New York, 2002.
3. Volakis, J. L., A. Alexanian, and J. M. Lin, "Broadband RCS reduction of rectangular patch by using distributed loading," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 25, 2322-2323, 1992.
4. Li, Y., H. Zhang, Y. Fu, and N. Yuan, "RCS reduction of ridged waveguide slot antenna array using EBG radar absorbing material," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 473-476, 2008.
5. Wang, F. W., S. X. Gong, S. Zhang, X. Mu, and T. Hong, "RCS reduction of array antennas with radar absorbing structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 17-18, 2487-2496, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798806239
6. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, X. Yin, and K. Lu, "Ultra-wideband Koch fractal antenna with low backscattering cross section," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2615-2623, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793675790
7. Jiang, W., T. Hong, Y. Liu, S.-X. Gong, Y. Guan, and S. Cui, "A novel technique for radar cross section reduction of printed antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 51-60, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790322145
8. Gustafsson, M., "RCS reduction of integrated antenna arrays and radomes with resistive sheets," IEEE Antennas and Propag. Symp., 3479-3482, July 2006.
9. Jiang, W., Y. Liu, S. Gong, and T. Hong, "Application of bionics in antenna radar cross section reduction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1275-1278, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2037168
10. Pozar, D. M., "RCS reduction for a microstrip antenna using a normally biased ferrite substrate," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 2, 196-198, 1992. doi:10.1109/75.134353
11. Jang, H.-K., W.-J. Lee, and C.-G. Kim, "Design and fabrication of a microstrip patch antenna with a low radar cross section in the X-band," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 20, 015007, 2011. doi:10.1088/0964-1726/20/1/015007
12. Hanse, R. C., "Relationships between antennas as scatterers and as radiators," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 77, No. 5, 659-662, May 1989. doi:10.1109/5.32056
13. Bletsas, A., A. G. Dimitriou, and J. N. Sahalos, "Improving backscatter radio tag efficiency," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1502-1509, Jun. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2047916
14. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
15. Misran, N., R. Cahill, and V. F. Fusco, "RCS reduction technique for reflectarray antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 1630-1631, Nov. 2003.
16. Li, H., B.-Z. Wang, G. Zheng, W. Shao, and L. Guo, "A reflectarray antenna backed on FSS for low RCS and high radiation performances ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 145-155, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10070303
17. Ren, L.-S., Y.-C. Jiao, J.-J. Zhao, and F. Li, "RCS reduction for a FSS-backed reflectarray using a ring element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 115-123, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11071201
18. Genovesi, S. and A. Monorchio, "Low profile array with reduced radar cross section," 2010 URSI International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory (EMTS), 799-802, Aug. 16-19, 2010.
19. Genovesi, S., F. Costa, and A. Monorchio, "Low profile array withreduced radar cross section by using frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 5, 2012.
20. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Analysis and design of ultra thin electromagnetic absorbers comprising resistively loaded high impedance surfaces ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, 1551-1558, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2044329
21. Erdemli, Y. E., K. Sertel, R. A. Gilbert, D. E. Wright, and J. L. Volakis, "Frequency-selective surfaces to enhance performance of broad-band reconfigurable arrays," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 12, 1716-1724, Dec. 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.807377
22. Sarabandi, K. and N. Behdad, "A frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1239-1245, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.895567
23. Al-Joumayly, M. and N. Behdad, "A new technique for design of low-pro¯le, second-order, bandpass frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 452-459, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2011382
24. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "Design of subwavelength tunable and steerable fabry-perot/leaky wave antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 467-481, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10111702
25. Newman, E. H., "Real frequency wideband impedance matching with non-minimum reactance equalizers," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3597-3603, Nov. 1991. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858816
26. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "On the bandwidth of high-impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1341-1344, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2038346
27. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "Efficient analysis of frequency selective surfaces by a simple equivalent circuit model," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, 2012.
28. Luukkonen, O., C. Simovski, G. Granet, G. Goussetis, D. Lioubtchenko, A. V. Räisänen, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Simple and accurate analytical model of planar grids and high-impedance surfaces comprising metal strips or patches ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1624-1632, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923327
29. Kim, S.-H., T. T. Nguyen, and J.-H. Jang, "Reflection characteristics of 1-D EBG ground plane and its application to a planar dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 51-66, 2011.
30. Munk, B. A., Frequency Selective Surfaces --- Theory and Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2000.
32. Zhang, Y., B. Z.Wang, W. Shao, W. Yu, and R. Mittra, "Artificial ground planes for performance enhancement of microstrip antennas ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 4, 597-606, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794500269
33. Glover, B., K. Kirschenmann, and K. W. Whites, "Engineering R-card surface resistivity with printed metallic patterns," Proceedings Metamaterials' 2007 International Congress on Advanced Electr. Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 621-624, Rome, Italy, Oct. 22-26, 2007.
34. Bianconi, G., F. Costa, S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Optimal design of dipole antennas backed by a finite high-impedance screen," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 137-151, 2011.