An adaptive approach to minimize acquisition time in planar near-field antenna measurements is described. In contrast to the traditional planar near-field scanning, the presented technique acquires the near-field in form of rectangular rings and skips sampling points in smoothly varying near-field regions. Abrupt changes in the near-field are detected by comparing extrapolated and measured near-field values at coarser sampling points. A decision function based on the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of the measured value is used to determine the threshold difference between the measured and the extrapolated near-field values for skipping the sampling point. Near-field data thus collected on the resultant irregular grid is processed using the multilevel plane wave based near-field far-field transformation algorithm. The multilevel transformation algorithm is computationally efficient and capable of handling data collected on irregular grids. A rigorous analysis of the adaptive data acquisition approach is then performed in terms of transformed far-field accuracy, decision factor, and test time reduction. Several test cases covering a variety of antennas are shown using synthetic as well as measured data for realistic results. Afterwards the acquisition time for the worst case scenario is compared with the traditional planar near-field measurement technique.
Muhammad Ayyaz Qureshi,
Carsten H. Schmidt,
Thomas F. Eibert,
"Adaptive Sampling in Multilevel Plane Wave Based Near-Field Far-Field Transformed Planar Near-Field Measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 126, 481-497, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020804
2. Yaghjian, A. D., "Near-field antenna measurements on a cylindrical surface: A source scattering-matrix formulation," National Bureau of Standards, Tech. Note 696, Boulder, 1977.
3. Kerns, D., "Plane-wave scattering-matrix theory of antennas and antenna-antenna interactions,", National Bureau of Standards, Boulder, CO, 1981.
4. Sarkar, T. K. and A. Taaghol, "Near-field to near-/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry utilizing an equivalent electric current and MoM ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 566-573, 2002. doi:10.1109/8.768793
5. Schmidt, C. H., M. M. Leibfritz, and T. F. Eibert, "Fully probe corrected near-field far-field transformation employing plane wave expansion and diagonal translation operators ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 737-746, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916975
6. Yaghjian, A. D., "An overview of near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 34, No. 1, 30-45, 1986. doi:10.1109/TAP.1986.1143727
8. Petre, P. and T. K. Sarkar, "Planar near-field to far-field transformation using an equivalent magnetic current approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1348-1356, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.202712
9. Petre, P. and T. K. Sarkar, "Differences between modal expansion and intergral equation methods for planar near-field to far-field transformation ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 37-56, 1996.
10. Bucci, O. M. and M. D. Migliore, "A new method for avoiding the truncation error in near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 10, 2940-2952, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.882151
11. Stark, H. and Y. Yang, Vector Space Projections: A Numerical Approach to Signal and Image Processing, Neural Nets, and Optics, Wiley-Interscience, 1988.
12. Martini, E., O. Breinbjerg, and S. Maci, "Reduction of truncation errors in planar near-field aperture antenna measurements using the Gerchberg-Papoulis algorithm ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 11, 3485-3493, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005442
13. Bucci, O. M., F. D'Agostino, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "NF-FF transformation with plane-polar scanning: ellipsoidal modelling of the antenna," Automatika, Vol. 41, 159-164, 2000.
14. D'Agostino, F., F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, and M. Migliozzi, "An effective NF-FF transformation technique with planar spiral scanning tailored for quasi-planar antennas ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2981-2987, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.928786
15. D'Agostino, F., F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, and G. Riccio, "An effective technique for reducing the truncation error in the near-field-far-field transformation with plane-polar scanning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 213-238, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07032202
16. Ferrara, F., C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "An efficient near-field to far-field transformation using the planar widemesh scanning ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 341-357, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367404
17. D'Agostino, F., F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese , "An efficient technique to lower the error due to the truncation of the scanning region in a bipolar facility," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 12, 3033-3037, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22936
18. Van Rensburg, D. J., D. McNamara, and G. Parsons, "Adaptive acquisition techniques for planar near-field antenna measurements," 33rd Annual AMTA Sympos., Denver, CO, 2011.
19. Qureshi, M. A., C. H. Schmidt, and T. F. Eibert, "Planar near-field measurement error analysis for multilevel plane wave based near-field far-field transformation," 33rd Annual AMTA Symposium, Denver, CO, 2011.
20. Schmidt, C. H. and T. F. Eibert, "Multilevel plane wave based near-field far-field transformation for electrically large antennas in free-space or above material halfspace," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1382-1390, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2016699
21. Newell, A. C. and M. L. Crawford, "Planar near-field measurements on high performance array antennas,", National Bureau of Standards, NBSIR 74-380, 1974.
22. Yaghjian, A. D., "Upper-bound errors in far-field antenna parameters determined from planar near-field measurements, Part 1: Analysis ,", National Bureau of Standards, Tech. Note 667, 1975.
23. Coifman, R., V. Rokhlin, and S. Wandzura, "The fast multipole method for the wave-equation: A pedestrian prescription," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 35, No. 3, 7-12, 1993. doi:10.1109/74.250128
24. Saad, Y., Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems, 2nd Edition, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 2003. doi:10.1137/1.9780898718003
25. Schmidt, C. H., D. T. Schobert, and T. F. Eibert, "Electric dipole based synthetic data generation for probe-corrected near-field measurements," 5th European Conference on Antenna and Propagation, Rome, Italy, 2011.