In this paper, two radiation pattern-reconfigurable antennas are designed to operate over DCS 1800 frequency bands. The geometry of the proposed antennas is symmetric with respect to the vertical center line. The electrical shapes of the antennas are composed of a monopole-loaded loop and an open wire. The open wire functions as either a director or reflector for the two antennas. Depending on the switching state, the antennas can select between two beam directions with no input impedance difference. The sizes of each antenna are then optimized to achieve beam switching capability using PIN diodes and FETs. The reflection coefficients and gain patterns for two bias conditions using both switches are measured and compared with the simulated results. The measured results show that the proposed antennas can clearly alternate their beam directions using the switching components.
1. Sun, L., B.-H. Sun, J.-Y. Li, Y.-H. Huang, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Reconfigurable circularly polarized microstrip antenna without orthogonal feeding network," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1352-1359, 2011.
2. Choi, J. and S. Lim, "Frequency and radiation pattern reconfigurable small metamaterial antenna using its extraordinary zeroth-order resonance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2119-2127, 2010.
3. Kamarudin, M. R. B., P. S. Hall, F. Colombel, and M. Himdi, "Electronically switched beam disk-loaded monopole array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 339-347, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010808
4. Jamlos, M. F., O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin,P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A beam steering radial line slot array antenna with reconfigurable operating frequency," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1079-1088, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586034
5. Jamlos, M. F., O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin,P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A reconfigurable radial line slot array (RLSA) antenna for beam shape and broadside application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1171-1182, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586007
6. Lin, S.-Y., Y.-C. Lin, and J.-Y. Lee, "T-strip fed patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 163-173, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10051801
7. Razali, A. R. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Reconfigurable coplanar inverted-F antenna with electronically controlled ground slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 63-76, 2011.
8. Ali, M. T., M. N. M. Tan, A. R. B. Tharek, M. R. B. Kamarudin,M. F. Jamlos, and R. Sauleau, "A novel of reconfigurable planar antenna array (RPAA) with beam steering control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 20, 125-146, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10020710
9. Ramadan, A., K. Y. Kabalan, A. El-Hajj, S. Khoury, and M. Al-Husseini, "A reconfigurable U-koch microstrip antenna for wireless ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 93, 355-367, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050605
10. Alkanhal, M. A. S. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07020703
11. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan,and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
12. Abdallah, M., F. Colombel, G. Le Ray, and M. Himdi, "Frequency tunable antenna for digital video broadcasting hand-held application," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 24, 1-8, 2011.
13. Monti, G., L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, "Planar bowtie antenna with a reconfigurable radiation pattern," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 28, 61-70, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12021104
14. Kelly, J. R., P. Song, P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, "Reconfigurable 460MHz to 12 GHz antenna with integrated narrowband slot," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 24, 137-145, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERC11080410
15. Nikolau, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, Jr., I. Carrasquillo,D. C. Thompson, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 54, 439-448, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863398
16. Huff, G. H., J. Feng, S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square spiral microstrip antenna," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 13, 57-59, 2003. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.808714
17. Yang, X.-S., B.-Z. Wang, W. Wu, and S. Xiao, "Yagi patch antenna with dual-band and pattern reconfigurable characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 168-171, 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.895292
18. Zhang, S., G. H. Huff, J. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A Pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, 2773-2776, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834372
19. Yu, Z.-W., G.-M. Wang, X.-J. Gao, and K. Lu, "A novel small-size single patch microstrip antenna based on koch and Sierpinski fractal-shapes," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 17, 95-103, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10062803
20., , 3GPP TS 05.05 version 8.20.0 Release 1999 Pages 9 and 10..
21. Kwon, D. H. and Y. Kim, "Small low-profile loop wideband antennas with unidirectional radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, 72-77, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.888393
22., , MPP4203 datasheet, Available at www.microsemi.com..
23., , ATF-34143 datasheet, Available at www.home.agilent.com..
24. Pringle, L. N., P. H. Harms, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel,E. J. Kuster, P. G. Friederich, R. J. Prado, J. M. Morris,and G. S. Smith, "A Reconfigurable aperture antenna based on switched links between electrically small metallic patches," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 52, 1434-1445, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825648
25. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, 645-654, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841339
26. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, John Wiley and Sons, Hoboken, 2005.
27. Goldsmith, C., J. Randall, S. Eshelman, T. H. Lin, D. Denniston,S. Chen, and B. Norvell, "Characteristics of micromachined switches at microwave frequencies," IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1141-1144, 1996.
28. Pacheco, S., L. P. B. Katehi, and C. T. Nguyen, "Design of low actuation RF MEMS switch," IEEE Microwave Theory and Techniques Symp. Dig., Vol. 1, 165-170, 2000.
29. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-isolation CPW MEMS shunt switches --Part 2: Design," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, 1053-1056, 2000. doi:10.1109/22.904744
30. Jung, C. W., Y. J. Kim, Y. E. Kim, and F. D. Flaviis, "A macro-micro frequency tuning antenna for the reconfigurable wireless communication systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, 201-202, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20073906