Two novel compact magic-T configurations designed as a two layer structure are proposed in this paper. They consist of a microstrip tee-junction and resonance circuit composed of a microstrip line combined with rectangular or radial stubs. These microstrip circuits are respectively printed at the top and bottom layers of the structure, and coupled via a slot located in the common ground plane. The microstrip patch and slot are placed parallel to each other forming novel microstrip-slotline transitions, which provide broadband operation of the magic-Ts. Transmission line equivalent circuits are used to explain the performance of the proposed hybrids. It is shown that magic-T with a radial stub demonstrates wider operation bandwidth and better performance than the structure with a rectangular stub. In order to validate their performance, the prototypes of both configurations were manufactured and measured. Experimental and simulation results show that the resulting magic-T using a radial resonator has a fractional bandwidth of over 40% for 0.2\,dB amplitude and 1° phase imbalance. The experimental results are in good agreement well with equivalent circuit and full-wave simulations.
1. Wei, F., L. Chen, X.-W. Shi, Q.-Y.Wu, and Q.-L. Huang, "Design of compact UWB power divider with one narrow notch-band," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2343-2352, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793675637
2. Kazerooni, M. and M. Aghalari, "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 87-96, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11071704
3. Qaroot, A. M., N. I. Dib, and A. A. Gheethan, "Design methodology of multi-frequency unequal split Wilkinson power dividers using transmission line transformers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 22, 1-21, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10042809
4. Chiang, C. T. and B.-K. Chung, "Ultra wideband power divider using tapered line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 61-73, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061603
5. Kuo, J.-T. and C.-H. Tsai, "Generalized synthesis of rat race ring coupler and its application to circuit miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 51-64, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071705
6. Zhang, H., X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and L. Xu, "Compact wideband gysel power divider with arbitrary power division based on patch type structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 395-406, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11071501
7. Deng, P.-H., J.-H. Guo, and W.-C. Kuo, "New Wilkinson power dividers based on compact stepped-impedance transmission lines and shunt open stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 407-426, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111612
8. Sedighy, S. H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact Wilkinson power divider using stepped impedance transmission lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1773-1782, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797453980
9. Liu, G.-Q., L.-S. Wu, and W.-Y. Yin, "A compact microstrip rat race coupler with modified lange and t-shaped arms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 509-523, 2011.
10. Li, Q., X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and J. G. Gong, "A novel planar 180° out-of-phase power divider for UWB application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 1, 161-167, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311793898288
12. Ho, C.-H., L. Fan, and K. Chang, "New uniplanar coplanar waveguide hybrid-ring couplers and magic-ts," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 12, 2440-2448, December 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339779
13. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "A new MIC magic-T using coupled slot lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 28, No. 6, 523-528, June 1980. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1980.1130113
14. Kim, J. P. and W. S. Park, "Novel configurations of planar multilayer magic-t using microstrip-slotline transitions," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 7, 1683-1688, July 2002.
15. Cheng, C. H. and Q. Gao, "A novel broadband magic-T using microstrip-slotline transitions," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 585-588, September 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21058
16. Yu, Y. W., G. M. Wang, and Y. Ding, "A novel wideband planar magic-T," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, ICMMT, Vol. 1, 315-317, 2008.
17. Kongpop, U., E. J.Wollack, S. H. Moseley, J. Papapolymerou, and J. Laskar, "A compact low-loss magic-T using microstrip-slotline transitions," IEEE/MTTS International Microwave Symposium, 37-40, June 2007.
18. Bialkowski, M. E. and Y. Wang, "Design of UWB uniplanar 180° hybrid employing ground slots and microstrip-slot transitions," 18th International Conference on Microwave Radar and Wireless Communications (MIKON), 1-4, June 2010.
19. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of a UWB planar 180o hybrid exploiting microstrip-slot transitions," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 6, 1343-1346, June 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22472
20. Feng, W., Q. Xue, and W. Che, "Compact planar magic-T based on the double-sided parallel-strip line and the slotline coupling," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2915-2923, November 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2078312
21. Davidovitz, M., "A compact planar magic-T junction with aperture-coupled difference port," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 7, No. 8, 217-218, August 1997. doi:10.1109/75.605482
22. He, F. F., K.Wu, W. Hong, H. J. Tang, H. B. Zhu, and J. X. Chen, "A planar magic-T using substrate integrated circuits concept," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 6, 386-388, June 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.922596
23. Liu, M. and Z. Feng, "A novel hybrid planar SIW magic tee and monopulse antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 3, 686-689, March 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.24990
24. Feng, W., W. Che, and K. Deng, "Compact planar magic-T using E-plane substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) power divider and slotline transition," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 6, 331-333, June 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2047519
25. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y.-Q.Wang, Q.-H. Lai, and K.Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) 3-db coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 1, 22-24, January 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.887244
26. Schiek, B. and J. Kohler, "An improved microstrip-to-microslot transition (letters)," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 24, No. 4, 231-233, April 1976. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1976.1128823
28. Marynowski, W., P. Kowalczyk, and J. Mazur, "On the characteristic impedance definition in microstrip and coplanar lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 219-235, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10090301