Multi-refraction effects with one polarization in a two-dimensional triangular photonic crystal (PhC) were systematically studied by theoretical analysis and numerical simulation. The more complicated refraction behaviors can be excited in the higher band regions based on the intricate undulation of one band or the overlap of different bands. A novel non-handedness effect is proposed for the first time with group velocity perpendicular to phase velocity. Furthermore, triple refraction phenomena and special collimation effects of symmetrical positive-negative refraction with the loose incident conditions have been found in different band regions of this PhC. These unique features will provide us with more understanding of electromagnetic wave propagation in PhCs and give important guideline for the design of new type optical device.
1. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2059, 1987.
2. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 58, 2486, 1987.
3. Wu, C. J., Y. C. Hsieh, and H. T. Hsu, "Tunable photonic band gap in a doped semiconductor photonic crystal in near infrared region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 271-283, 2011.
4. Butt, H., Q. Dai, T. D. Wilkinson, and G. A. J. Amaratunga, "Photonic crystals & metamaterial filters based on 2D arrays of silicon nanopillars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 179-194, 2011.
5. Hsu, H. T, T. W. Chang, T. J. Yang, B. H. Chu, and C. J. Wu, "Analysis of wave properties in photonic crystal narrowband filters with left-handed defect," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2285-2298, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310793699073
6. Li, H. and X. Yang, "Larger absolute band gaps in two-dimensional photonic crystals fabricated by a three-order-effect method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 385-400, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10072505
7. Hung, H. C., C. J. Wu, T. J. Yang, and S. J. Chang, "Analysis of tunable multiple-filtering property in a photonic crystal containing strongly extrinsic semiconductor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14-15, 2089-2099, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798072009
8. Lu, H, X. M. Liu, R. Zhou, D. Mao, and Y. Gong, "Tunable and robust reflection-free waveguides based on a gyromagnetic photonic crystal," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1752-1761, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797164882
9. Dai, X., Y. Xiang, and S. Wen, "Broad Omnidirectional Reflector in the one-dimensional ternary photonic crystals containing superconductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 17-34, 2011.
10. Srivastava, R., S. Srivastava, and S. P. Ojha, "Negative refraction by photonic crystal," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-26, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08042302
11. Liu, S. H. and L. X. Guo, "Negative refraction in an anisotropic metamaterial with a rotation angle between the principal axis and the planar interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 243-257, 2011.
12. Navarro-Cia, M., M. Beruete, F. J. Falcone, M. Sorolla Ayza,and I. Campillo, "Polarization-tunable negative or positive refraction in self-complementariness-based extraordinary transmission prism," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 101-114, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030108
13. Martíez, A., H. Míguez, A. Griol, and J. Martí, "Experimental and theoretical analysis of the self-focusing of light by a photonic crystal lens," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 69, 165119, 2004.
14. Ren, K., Z. Y. Li, X. B. Ren, S. Feng, B. Y. Cheng, and D. Z. Zhang, "Three-dimensional light focusing in inverse opal photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, 115108,2007.
15. Lu, M. H., C. Zhang, L. Feng, J. Zhao, Y. F. Chen, Y. W. Mao,J. Zi, Y. Y. Zhu, S. N. Zhu, and N. B. Ming, "Negative birefraction of acoustic waves in a sonic crystal," Nature Material, Vol. 6, 744-748, 2007.
16. Ruan, Z. and S. He, "Open cavity formed by a photonic crystal with negative effective index of refraction," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, 2308-2310, 2005. doi:10.1364/OL.30.002308
17. Xiong, C., B. Zhang, X. Kang, T. Dai, and G. Zhang, "Diffracted transmission effects of GaN and polymer two-dimensional square-lattice photonic crystals," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 23684-23689, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.023684
18. Balestreri, A., L. Andreani, and M. Agio, "Optical properties and diffraction effects in opal photonic crystals," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036603, 2006.
19. Kim, A., K. B. Chung, and J. W. Wu, "Control of self-collimated Bloch waves by partially flat equifrequency contours in photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 89, 251120, 2006.
20. Wu, L. J., M. Mazilu, J. F. Gallet, T. F. Krauss, A. Jugessur, and R. M. de La Rue, "Planar photonic crystal polarization splitter," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 1620, 2004.
21. Luo, Y., W. Zhang, Y. Huang, J. Zhao, and J. Peng, "Wide-angle beam splitting by use of positive-negative refraction in photonic crystals," Opt. Lett., Vol. 29, 2920-2922, 2004. doi:10.1364/OL.29.002920
22. Kang, X., G.-J. Li, and Y.-P. Li, "Positive-negative refraction effect based on overlapping bands in a two-dimensional photonic crystal," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 26, 010060, 2009.
23. Gajic, R., R. Meisels, F. Kuchar, and K. Hingerl, "Refraction and rightness in photonic crystals," Opt. Express, Vol. 13, 8596-8605, 2005. doi:10.1364/OPEX.13.008596
24. Shi, Y., "A compact polarization beam splitter based on a multimode photonic crystal waveguide with an internal photonic crystal section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 393-401, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10040402
25. Li, J., F. Q. Yang, and J. F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
26. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zeng, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285173
27. Kinto-Ramírez, H., M. A. Palomino-Ovando, and F. Ramos-Mendieta, "Photonic modes in dispersive and lossy superlattices containing negative-index materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 35, 133-149, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11062911
28. Zhao, Y., F. Chen, H. Chen, N. Li, Q. Shen, and L. Zhang, "The microstructure design optimization of negative index metamaterials using genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 95-108, 2011.
29. Dong, G. Y., J. Zhou, X. L. Yang, and L. Z. Cai, "Dual-negative refraction in photonic crystals with hexagonal lattices," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 12119,2011.
30. Dong, G. Y., X. L. Yang, and L. Z. Cai, "Anomalous refractive effects in honeycomb lattice photonic crystals formed by holographic lithography," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 16302-16308, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.016302
32. Yu, X. and S. Fan, "Bends and splitters for self-collimated beams in photonic crystals," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 83, 3251-3253, 2003. doi:10.1063/1.1621736
33. Liu, L., S. L. Zheng, X. M. Zhang, X. F. Jin, and H. Chi, "Performance improvement of phase modulation with interferometric detection through low-biasing," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 123-132, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790322055
34. Xu, O., "Collimation lens design using Al-Ga technique for Gaussian radiators with arbitrary aperture field distribution," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 743-754, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827113