In this paper, a planar metallic nanostructure design, which supports two distinct Fano resonances in its extinction crosssection spectrum under normally incident and linearly polarized electromagnetic field, is proposed. The proposed design involves a circular disk embedding an elongated cavity; shifting and rotating the cavity break the symmetry of the structure with respect to the incident field and induce higher order plasmon modes. As a result, Fano resonances are generated in the visible spectrum due to the destructive interference between the sub-radiant higher order modes and super-radiant the dipolar mode. The Fano resonances can be tuned by varying the cavity's width and the rotation angle. An RLC circuit, which is mathematically equivalent to a mass-spring oscillator, is proposed to model the optical response of the nanostructure design.
1. Halas, N. J., S. Lal, W.-S. Chang, S. Link, and P. Nordlander, "Plasmons in strongly coupled metallic nanostructures," Chem. Rev., Vol. 111, No. 6, 3913-3961, 2011. doi:10.1021/cr200061k
2. Mortazavi, D., A. Z. Kouzani, A. Kaynak, and W. Duan, "Developing LSPR design guidelines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 203-235, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12011810
3. Lal, S., S. Link, and N. J. Halas, "Nano-optics from sensing to waveguiding," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 1, No. 11, 641-648, 2007. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.223
4. Brandl, D. W., N. A. Mirin, and P. Nordlander, "Plasmon modes of nanosphere trimers and quadrumers," J. Phys. Chem. B, Vol. 110, No. 25, 12302-12310, 2006. doi:10.1021/jp0613485
5. Chau, Y.-F., Z.-H. Jiang, H.-Y. Li, G.-M. Lin, F.-L. Wu, and W.-H. Lin, "Localized resonance of composite core-shell nanospheres, nanobars and nanospherical chains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 183-199, 2011.
6. Renger, J., S. Grafström, L. Eng, and V. Deckert, "Evanescent wave scattering and local electric field enhancement at ellipsoidal silver particles in the vicinity of a glass surface," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 21, No. 7, 1362-1367, 2004. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.21.001362
7. Mark, W. K. and J. H. Naomi, "Nanoshells to nanoeggs to nanocups: Optical properties of reduced symmetry coreshell nanoparticles beyond the quasistatic limit," New J. Phys., Vol. 10, No. 10, 105006, 2008. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/10/10/105006
8. Hu, Y., S. Noelck, and R. Drezek, "Symmetry breaking in gold-silica-gold multilayer nanoshells," ACS Nano, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1521-1528, 2010. doi:10.1021/nn901743m
9. Hao, F., P. Nordlander, Y. Sonnefraud, P. Dorpe, and S. Maier, "Tunability of subradiant dipolar and Fano-type plasmon resonances in metallic ring/disk cavities: Implications for nanoscale optical sensing ," ACS Nano, Vol. 3, No. 3, 643-652, 2009. doi:10.1021/nn900012r
10. Aizpurua, J., P. Hanarp, D. S. Sutherland, M. Käll, G. W. Bryant, and F. J. Garcia De Abajo, "Optical properties of gold nanorings," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 5, 057401, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.90.057401
11. Ishimaru, A., S. Jaruwatanadilok, and Y. Kuga, "Generalized surface plasmon resonance sensors using metamaterials and negative index materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 139-152, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04020603
12. Raymond Ooi, C. H., "Near-field and particle size effects in coherent raman scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 479-494, 2011.
13. Liu, X., J. Lin, T. F. Jiang, Z. F. Zhu, Q. Q. Zhan, J. Qian, and S. He, "Surface plasmon properties of hollow AuAg alloyed triangular nanoboxes and its applications in SERS imaging and potential drug delivery ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 35-53, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112406
14. Luo, Z., T. Suyama, X. Xu, and Y. Okuno, "A grating-based plasmon biosensor with high resolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 527-539, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11060103
15. Gong, Y., K. Li, J. Huang, N. J. Copner, A. Davies, L. Wang, and T. Duan, "Frequency-selective nanostructured plasmonic absorber by highly lossy interface mode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 511-525, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11121903
16. Li, M., H.-L. Yang, X.-W. Hou, Y. Tian, and D.-Y. Hou, "Perfect metamaterial absorber with dual bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 37-49, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071409
17. Han, L., S. Chen, A. Schulzgen, Y. Zeng, F. Song, J.-G. Tian, and N. Peyghambarian, "Calculation and optimization of electromagnetic resonances and local intensity enhancements for plasmon metamaterials with sub-wavelength double-slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 161-177, 2011.
18. Rahimi, H., A. Namdar, S. Roshan Entezar, H. Tajalli, "Photonic transmission spectra in one-dimensional fibonacci multilayer structures containing single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 15-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122303
19. Li, J., F.-Q. Yang, and J. Dong, "Design and simulation of l-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
20. Carbonell, J., E. Lheurette, and D. Lippens, "From rejection to transmission with stacked arrays of split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 215-224, 2011.
21. Zhang, J. and N. A. Mortensen, "Ultrathin cylindrical cloak," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 381-389, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11091205
22. Larsson, E. M., J. Alegret, M. Käll, and D. S. Sutherland, "Sensing characteristics of NIR localized surface plasmon resonances in gold nanorings for application as ultrasensitive biosensors," Nano Lett., Vol. 7, No. 5, 1256-1263, 2007. doi:10.1021/nl0701612
23. Miroshnichenko, A. E., S. Flach, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Fano resonances in nanoscale structures," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 82, No. 3, 2257-2298, 2010. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.82.2257
24. Abbasian, K., A. Rostami, and Z. D. Koozehkanani, "All-optical tunable mirror design using electromagnetically induced transparency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 5, 25-41, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERM08072602
25. Liu, Y., H. Jiang, C. Xue, W. Tan, H. Chen, and Y. Shi, "Fano resonances in a bilayer structure composed of two kinds of dispersive metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 26, 49-57, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERL11072205
26. Luk'yanchuk, B., N. Zheludev, S. Maier, N. Halas, P. Nordlander, H. Giessen, and C. Chong, "The Fano resonance in plasmonic nanostructures and metamaterials," Nat. Mater., Vol. 9, No. 9, 707-715, 2010. doi:10.1038/nmat2810
27. Papasimakis, N. and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial-induced transparency: Sharp Fano resonances and slow light," Opt. Photonics News, Vol. 20, No. 10, 22-27, 2009. doi:10.1364/OPN.20.10.000022
28. Bao, K., N. Mirin, and P. Nordlander, "Fano resonances in planar silver nanosphere clusters," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 100, No. 2, 333-339, 2010. doi:10.1007/s00339-010-5861-3
29. Fan, J., C. Wu, K. Bao, J. Bao, R. Bardhan, N. Halas, V. Manoharan, P. Nordlander, G. Shvets, and F. Capasso, "Self-assembled plasmonic nanoparticle clusters," Science, Vol. 328, No. 5982, 1135, 2010. doi:10.1126/science.1187949
30. Liu, S.-D., Z. Yang, R.-P. Liu, and X.-Y. Li, "Plasmonic-induced optical transparency in the near-infrared and visible range with double split nanoring cavity ," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 16, 15363-15370, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.015363
32. Fan, J. A., K. Bao, C. Wu, J. Bao, R. Bardhan, N. J. Halas, V. N. Manoharan, G. Shvets, P. Nordlander, and F. Capasso, "Fano-like interference in self-assembled plasmonic quadrumer clusters ," Nano Lett., Vol. 10, No. 11, 4680-4685, 2010. doi:10.1021/nl1029732
33. Verellen, N., Y. Sonnefraud, H. Sobhani, F. Hao, V. V. Moshchalkov, P. V. Dorpe, P. Nordlander, and S. A. Maier, "Fano resonances in individual coherent plasmonic nanocavities," Nano Lett., Vol. 9, No. 4, 1663-1667, 2009. doi:10.1021/nl9001876
34. Liu, H., N. Wang, Y. Liu, Y. Zhao, and X. Wu, "Light transmission properties of double-overlapped annular apertures," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 3, 385-387, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.000385
35. Mukherjee, S., H. Sobhani, J. B. Lassiter, R. Bardhan, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, "Fanoshells: Nanoparticles with built-in Fano resonances," Nano Lett., Vol. 10, No. 7, 2694-2701, 2010. doi:10.1021/nl1016392
36. Sonnefraud, Y., N. Verellen, H. Sobhani, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, V. V. Moshchalkov, P. Van Dorpe, P. Nordlander, and S. A. Maier, "Experimental realization of subradiant, superradiant, and Fano resonances in ring/disk plasmonic nanocavities," ACS Nano, Vol. 4, No. 3, 1664-1670, 2010. doi:10.1021/nn901580r
37. Singh, R., I. A. I. Al-Naib, M. Koch, and W. Zhang, "Sharp Fano resonances in THz metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 7, 6312-6319, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.006312
38. Dong, Z.-G., H. Liu, M.-X. Xu, T. Li, S.-M. Wang, J.-X. Cao, S.-N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Role of asymmetric environment on the dark mode excitation in metamaterial analogue of electromagnetically-induced transparency ," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 21, 22412-22417, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.022412
39. Ourir, A., R. Abdeddaim, and J. de Rosny, "Tunable trapped mode in symmetric resonator designed for metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 115-123, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09120709
40. Habteyes, T. G., S. Dhuey, S. Cabrini, P. J. Schuck, and S. R. Leone, "Theta-shaped plasmonic nanostructures: Bringing `dark' multipole plasmon resonances into action via conductive coupling ," Nano Lett., Vol. 11, No. 4, 1819-1825, 2011. doi:10.1021/nl200585b
41. Fang, Z., J. Cai, Z. Yan, P. Nordlander, N. J. Halas, and X. Zhu, "Removing a wedge from a metallic nanodisk reveals a Fano resonance ," Nano Lett., Vol. 11, No. 10, 4475-4479, 2011. doi:10.1021/nl202804y
42. Rahmani, M., B. Luk'yanchuk, B. Ng, A. K. G. Tavakkoli, Y. F. Liew, and M. H. Hong, "Generation of pronounced Fano resonances and tuning of subwavelength spatial light distribution in plasmonic pentamers," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, No. 6, 4949-4956, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.004949
43. Rahmani, M., T. Tahmasebi, Y. Lin, B. Luk'yanchuk, T. Liew, and M. Hong, "Influence of plasmon destructive interferences on optical properties of gold planar quadrumers ," Nanotechnology, Vol. 22, 245204, 2011. doi:10.1088/0957-4484/22/24/245204
44. Liu, N., L. Langguth, T. Weiss, J. Kastel, M. Fleischhauer, T. Pfau, and H. Giessen, "Plasmonic analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency at the drude damping limit," Nat. Mater., Vol. 8, No. 9, 758-762, 2009. doi:10.1038/nmat2495
45. Prodan, E., C. Radloff, N. J. Halas, and P. Nordlander, "A hybridization model for the plasmon response of complex nanostructures," Science, Vol. 302, No. 5644, 419-422, 2003. doi:10.1126/science.1089171
46. Wang, H., Y. Wu, B. Lassiter, C. Nehl, J. Hafner, P. Nordlander, and N. Halas, "Symmetry breaking in individual plasmonic nanoparticles," PNAS, Vol. 103, No. 29, 10856, 2006. doi:10.1073/pnas.0604003103
47. Bardhan, R., N. K. Grady, T. Ali, and N. J. Halas, "Metallic nanoshells with semiconductor cores: Optical characteristics modified by core medium properties," ACS Nano, Vol. 4, No. 7, 6169-6179, 2010. doi:10.1021/nn102035q
48. Multiphysics, C., V. 3.5 a, COMSOL AB, Sweden, 2009.
49. Johnson, P. and R. Christy, "Optical constants of the noble metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, No. 12, 4370-4379, 1972. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.6.4370
50. Ni, X., Z. Liu, and A. V. Kildishev, PhotonicsDB: Optical constants, 2008, doi: 10254/nanohub-r3692.10.
51. Park , T.-H., Plasmonic properties of metallic nanostructures, Ph.D. Thesis, Rice University, Houstan Texas, 2009.
52. Kang, L., V. Sadaune, and D. Lippens, "Numerical analysis of enhanced transmission through a single subwavelength aperture based on Mie resonance single particle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 211-226, 2011.
53. Rahmani, M., B. Lukiyanchuk, T. T. V. Nguyen, T. Tahmasebi, Y. Lin, T. Y. F. Liew, and M. H. Hong, "Influence of symmetry breaking in pentamers on Fano resonance and near-field energy localization ," Opt. Mater. Express, Vol. 1, No. 8, 1409-1415, 2011. doi:10.1364/OME.1.001409
54. http://www.originlab.com, Accessed 5, May 2012.