A fast method for circular SAR three-dimensional imaging system by near-field elevation scanning is proposed in this paper. It is based on cylindrical spectrum theory which exploits the Fourier decomposition of the targets distribution instead of point by point imaging in earlier works. The proposed method sets up the relationship between the target image and the scattering field in spatial frequency domain. This leads to overcome the problem of computational inefficiency which was observed previously in projection-slice theorem. The near-field scattering is firstly analyzed by relating the return signal to the near-field focus function. The near-field focus function is then transformed to spatial frequency domain and evaluated by the method of stationary phase. Finally, the imaging result is given by three-dimensional inverse Fourier transformation from spatial frequency domain of targets. The proposed method is validated by the simulation results of distributed targets. In addition, experimental validation was also achieved in microwave chamber at X-band with targets placed on the turntable.
1. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing with MATLAB Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
2. Yan, W., J.-D. Xu, N.-J. Li, and W.-X. Tan, "A novel fast near-field electromagnetic imaging method for full rotation problem," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 387-401, 2011.
3. Solimene, R., A. Brancaccio, R. D. Napoli, and R. Pierri, "3D sliced tomographic inverse scattering experimental results," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 1-13, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10050705
4. Fortuny, J., "Effcient algorithms for three-dimensional near-field synthetic aperture radar imaging,", Ph.D. Thesis, University of Karslruhe 2001.
5. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11082201
6. Tan, W.-X., Y.-P. Wang, W. Hong, Y.-R. Wu, N.-J. Li, C.-F. Hu, and L.-X. Zhang, "Circular SAR experiment for human body imaging," 1st Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, 2007.
7. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110101
8. Moreira, A., J. Mittermayer, and R. Scheiber, "Extended chirp scaling algorithm for air- and spaceborne SAR data processing in stripmap and ScanSAR imaging modes," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 34, No. 5, 1123-1136, 1996. doi:10.1109/36.536528
9. Guo, D. M., H. P. Xu, and J. W. Li, "Extended wavenumber domain algorithm for highly squinted sliding spotlight SAR data processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 17-32, 2011.
10. Lopez-Sanchez, J. M. and J. Fortuny-Guasch, "3-D Radar imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 5, 728-737, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.855491
11. Li, Y. and D. Zhu, "The geometric-distortion correction algorithm for circular-scanning SAR imaging," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 7, No. 2, 376-380, 2010. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2009.2036273
12. Soumekh, M., "Reconnaissance with slant plane circular SAR imaging," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 5, No. 8, 1252-1265, 1996. doi:10.1109/83.506760
13. Bryant, M. L., L. L. Gostin, and M. Soumekh, "3-D E-CSAR imaging of a T-72 tank and synthesis of its SAR reconstructions," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, No. 1, 211-227, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAES.2003.1188905
14. Lin, Y., W. Hong, W. Tan, and Y. Wu, "Interferometric circular SAR method for three-dimensional imaging," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 8, No. 6, 1026-1030, 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2011.2150732
15. Yu, L. J. and Y. H. Zhang, "A 3D target imaging algorithm based on two-pass circular SAR observations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 341-360, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11101901
16. Ertin, E., R. L. Moses, and P. C. Lee, "Interferometric methods for 3-D target reconstruction with multi-pass circular SAR," 2008 7th European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (EUSAR), 1-4, 2008.
17. Knaell, K. K. and G. P. Cardillo, "Radar tomography for the generation of three-dimensional images," IEE Proceedings on Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 142, No. 2, 54-60, 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:19951791
18. Tan, W. X., W. Hong, Y. P. Wang, and Y. R. Wu, "A novel spherical-wave three-dimensional imaging algorithm for microwave cylindrical scanning geometries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 43-70, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10100307
19. Dallinger, A., S. Bertl, S. Schelkshorn, and J. Detlefsen, "SAR techniques for the imaging of humans," Sixth European Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (EUSAR2006), Dresden, Germany, May 16-18, 2006.