Koch-like fractal curve and Sierpinski Gasket are syncretized into a novel Sierpinskized Koch-like sided bow-tie (SKLB) multifractal in superior-inferior way. A K4S4 SKLB multifractal dipole fed by a linearly tapered microstrip Balun is designed, simulated, fabricated and measured. The well consistent results from measurement and experiment corroborate validity of design and the multifractal antenna's superiority and advantages over its monofractal counterparts in impedance, bandwidth, directivity, efficiency, and dimension. Six good matched bands(S11 ≤ -10 dB) with moderate gain (2.12 dBi-9.55 dBi) and high efficiency (87%-97%) are obtained within band 1.5 GHz-14.5 GHz, of which f1 = 1.92 GHz, f2 = 3.94 GHz, and f3 = 5.09 GHz are generally useful. The multibands are all almost omnidirectional or quasi-omnidirectional in H-plane (Phi=0°, XOZ) and doughnut-shaped or dented doughnut-shaped in E-plane (Phi = 90°, YOZ). So it is an attractive candidate for applications like PCS, IMT2000, UMTS, WLAN, WiFi, WiMAX and other fixed or mobile wireless multiband communication systems.
1. Cohen, N., "Fractal antennas: Part 1," Communications Quarterly, 7-22, Aug. 1995.
2. Cohen, N., "Fractal antenna applications in wireless telecommunications," IEEE Electronics Industries Forum of New England, 43-49, May 1997.
3. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haup, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, 37-58, Oct. 1999. doi:10.1109/74.801513
4. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas: A review," Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 2, 1620-1635, Apr. 2005.
5. Liu, Y., S. Gong, and D. Fu, "The advances in development of fractal antennas," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, Feb. 2002.
6. Kaur, J., S. Singh, and A. Kansal, "Multiband behavior of Sierpinski fractal antenna," Res. J. Inform. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 1, 35-43, Mar. 2011. doi:10.3923/rjit.2011.35.43
7. Sinha, S. N. and M. Jain, "A self-a±ne fractal multiband antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 110-112, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.891519
8. Rathee, D. and J. Ashraf, "CPW-fed Sierpinski fractal monopole antenna with varying scale factor," International Journal of Electronics Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 1, 77-80, 2011.
9. Hwang, K. C., "A modified Sierpinski fractal antenna for multiband application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 357-360, May 2007. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2007.902045
10. Manimegalai, B., S. Raju, and V. Abhaikumar, "A multifractal Cantor antenna for multiband wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 359-362, Aug. 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2000828
11. Li, D. and J. Mao, "Koch-like sided Sierpinski Gasket multifractal dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 399-427, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010404
12. Li, D. and J. Mao, "A Koch-like sided bow-tie fractal dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 60, No. 5, 40-49, May 2012.
13. Mandelbrot, B. B., The Fractal Geometry of Nature, 2nd Ed., W. H. Freeman, New York, 1983.
14. Falconer, K., Fractal Geometry: Mathematical Foundations and Applications, 2nd Ed., John Wiley&Son, Inc, New York, 2003.
15. Zhu, X., W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y.-L. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11100703
16. Dey, S., C. K. Aanandan, K. A. Jose, and P. Monahan, "Wideband printed dipole antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 4, No. 10, 417-419, Sep. 1991. doi:10.1002/mop.4650041014
17. Chen, G. Y. and J. S. Sun, "A printed dipole antenna with microstrip tapered Balun," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 4, 344-346, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.11374
18. Eldek, A. A., "Design of double dipole antenna with enhanced usable bandwidth for wideband phased array applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 1-15, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06012001
19. Puente, C., J. Romeu, R. Pous, and A. Cardama, "On the behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 46, 517-524, Apr. 1998. doi:10.1109/8.664115
20. Heldring, A., E. Ubeda, and J. M. Rius, "Efficient computation of the effect of wire ends in thin wire analysis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 54, No. 10, 3034-3037, Oct. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.882194
21. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., S. Saleekaw, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN, and mobile WiMAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08111907
22. Lizzi, L. and G. Oliveri, "Hybrid design of a fractal-shaped GSM/UMTS antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 707-719, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036386
23. Li, C.-M., K. Wang, and C.-K. Chen, "Small tri-band monopole antenna for WIMAX/WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1297-1307, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762132
24. He, K., R.-X. Wang, Y.-F. Wang, and B.-H. Sun, "Compact tri-band claw-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN/WIMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 869-877, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311794827104
25. Weng, W.-C. and C.-L. Hung, "Design and optimization of a logo-type antenna for multiband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 159-174, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11102705
26. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "Perturbed Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna with improved feeding technique ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propaga., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1011-1017, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.811522
27. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
28. Amin, Y., Q. Chen, H. Tenhunen, and L.-R. Zheng, "Performance-optimized quadrate bowtie RFID antennas for cost-effective and eco-friendly industrial applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 49-64, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020805
29. Ban, Y.-L., J.-H. Chen, S.-C. Sun, J. L.-W. Li, and J.-H. Guo, "Printed wideband antenna with chip-capacitor-loaded inductive strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS WWAN wireless USB dongle applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 313-329, 2012.
30. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111610