A novel triple-band single-fed compact microstrip antenna with varied polarization states and radiation patterns is proposed based on two-dimensional artificial metamaterial transmission line (TL). The TL element is composed of complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs) etched in the ground plane and a capacitive gap embedded in the stepped-impedance conductor line. By inserting a 2×2 array of the original element in conventional patch and feeding the resultant structure with an annular-ring slot along the diagonal, an antenna working in three resonant modes (n = -1, n = 0, and n = +2) is engineered at three specific well-separated frequencies f-1 = 1.5, f0 = 2.4 and f+2 = 3.5 GHz, respectively. As a result, both the numerical and experimental results illustrate that the antenna exhibits a patch-like radiation with pure linear polarization in the n = -1 mode, a monopolar radiation with circular polarization in the n = 0 and also an asymmetric quasi monopolar radiation with a hybrid linear polarization in the n = +2 mode. The antenna features compact whose patch occupying only an area of 0.246λ0×0.246λ0×0.03λ0 at f-1 and exhibits groups of advantages such as high radiation efficiency. Moreover, the proposed prescription, free of any metallic via, perturbation structure and complicated feeding network, is of practical value and opens an alternative avenue toward new types of antenna with agile polarization capability and versatile radiation patterns.
"A Miniaturized Triple-Band Metamaterial Antenna with Radiation Pattern Selectivity and Polarization Diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12081008
1. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Physics and Engineering Explorations, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2006.
2. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refraction Metamaterials: Fundamental Principles and Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471744751
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications: The Engineering Approach, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2006. doi:10.1002/0471754323
4. Marques, R., F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Metamaterials with negative parameters: Theory, Design, and Microwave Applications," Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2008.
5. Alici, K. B., A. E. Serebryannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Radiation properties and coupling analysis of a metamaterial based, dual polarization, dual band, multiple split ring resonator antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 8-9, 1183-1193, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791586188
6. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering of the field of a metamaterial slab antenna by an arbitrarily positioned cluster of metallic cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 51-66, 2011.
7. Du, G.-H., X. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Tri-band metamaterial-inspired monopole antenna with modified S-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 39-48, 2011.
8. Zhao, G., Y. C. Jiao, X. Yang, C. Lin, and Y. Song, "Wideband circularly polarized microstrip antenna using broadband quadrature power splitter based on metamaterial transmission line," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 1790-1793, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24452
9. Bernard, L., G. Chertier, and R. Sauleau, "Wideband circularly polarized patch antennas on reactive impedance substrates," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1015-1018, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2168803
10. Kossiavas, C., A. Zeitler, G. Clementi, C. Migliaccio, R. Staraj, and G. Kossiavas, "X-Band circularly polarized antenna gain enhancement with metamaterials," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 1911-1915, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26150
11. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110506
12. Hosseininnejad, S. E., N. Komjani, D. Zarifi, and M. Rajabi, "Directivity enhancement of circularly polarized microstrip antennas by chiral metamaterial covers," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 9, 117-121, 2012. doi:10.1587/elex.9.117
13. Zhao, G., Y. C. Jiao, F. Zhang, and X. Yang, "High gain circularly polarized antenna using sub-wavelength resonant cavity," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 33-40, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310790322109
14. An, J., G. M. Wang, C. X. Zhang, and H. Y. Zeng, "A compact, omni-directional, circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Microwave Journal, Vol. 53, 82-+, Jan. 2010.
15. Park, B. C. and J. H. Lee, "Omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna utilizing zeroth-order resonance of epsilon negative transmission line," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 2717-2720, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2152337
16. Park, B. C. and J. H. Lee, "Dual-band omnidirectional circularly polarized antenna using zeroth- and first-order modes," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 407-410, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2193550
17. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., E. Ugarte-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Self-diplexed patch antennas based on metamaterials for active RFID systems," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, 1330-1340, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017301
18. Cao, W. Q., B. N. Zhang, T. B. Yu, A. J. Liu, S. J. Zhao, D. S. Guo, and Z. D. Song, "Single-Feed Dual-band dual-mode and dual-polarized microstrip antenna based on metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1909-1919, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797453953
19. Dong, Y. D., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 4329-4333, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164223
20. Jung, Y. K. and B. Lee, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip RFID reader antenna using metamaterial branch-line coupler," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 786-791, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2167943
21. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
22. Zhang, H., H., Y. Q. Li, X. Chen, Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "Design of circular/dual-frequency linear polarization antennas based on the anisotropic complementary split ring resonator," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, 3352-3355, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029400
23. Dong, Y. D., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Design and characterization of miniaturized patch antennas loaded with complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 772-785, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173120
24. Zhou, L., S. Liu, Y. Wei, Y. Chen, and N. Gao, "Dual-band circularly-polarised antenna based on complementary two turns spiral resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, 970-U26, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1206
25. Jin, P. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Multi-frequency, linear and circular polarized, metamaterial-inspired, near-field resonant parasitic antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 1446-1459, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2123053
26. Cao, W. Q., B. N. Zhang, A. J. Liu, T. B. Yu, D. S. Guo, and K. G. Pan, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 453-456, 2012.
27. Herraiz-Martinez, F. J., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency and dual-mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 8, 2527-2539, Aug. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.927518
28. Wong, K.-L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.