DRFM (Digital Radio Frequency Memory) is now widely utilized by modern radar jammers due to its high efficiency in jamming generation. However, its jammer structure is somewhat complex, since the up-conversion and down-conversion processes must be included. This paper proposes a new Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) jammer architecture utilizing Direct Radio Frequency Processing (DRFP), wherein both the up-conversion and down-conversion modules can be excluded. DRFP has a very compact hardware structure which employs Direct Digital Synthesizer (DDS), phase shifter, and delay lines for jamming modulation. Finally, the performances of DRFP are shown by both the inner-field test and a rail-way SAR experiment to be rather effective in jamming generation.
"An Efficient SAR Jammer with Direct Radio Frequency Processing (Drfp)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 293-309, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12092404
1. Peng, X., W. Tan, Y. Wang, W. Hong, and Y. Wu, "Convolution back-projection imaging algorithm for downward-looking sparse linear array three dimensional synthetic aperture radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 287-313, 2012.
2. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, V. Gobi, M. Y. Chua, C. H. Lim, C.-S. Lim, C. C. Thum, T. S. Lim, Z. bin Ahmad, K. A. Mahmood, W. G. Cheaw, H. S. Boey, A. L. Choo, and B. C. Sew, "A new unmanned aerial vehicle synthetic aperture radar for environmental monitoring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 245-268, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11092604
3. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11082201
4. Zhou, W., J. T. Wang, H. W. Chen, and X. Li, "Signal model and moving target detection based on mimo synthetic aperture radar,", Vol. 131, 311-329, 2012.
5. Lim, S. H., C. G. Hwang, S. Y. Kim, and N. H. Myung, "Shifting MIMO SAR system for high-resolution wide-swath imaging," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1168-1178, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762114
6. Xing, S., D. Dai, Y. Li, and X. Wang, "Polarimetric SAR tomography using L2,1 mixed norm sparse reconstruction method,", Vol. 130, 105-130, 2012.
7. Liu, Q. F., S. Q. Xing, X. S. Wang, and J. Dong, "A strip-map SAR coherent jammer structure utilizing periodic modulation technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 111-128, 2011.
8. Liu, Q. F., S. Q. Xing, X. S. Wang, and J. Dong, "The interferometry phase of InSAR coherent jamming with arbitrary waveform modulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 101-118, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11111601
9. Liu, Q. F., S. Q. Xing, X. S. Wang, and J. Dong, "The `slope' effect of coherent transponder in InSAR DEM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 125-133, 2012.
10. Condley, C. J., "Some system considerations for electronic countermeasures to synthetic aperture radar," IEE Colloquium on Electronic Warfare Systems, 1-7, 1990.
11. Dumper, K., P. S. Cooper, A. F. Wons, C. J. Condley, and P. Tully, "Spaceborne synthetic aperture radar and noise jamming," Proceeding IEE Radar, 411-414, 1997.
13. Ender, H. G., P. Berens, A. R. Brenner, et al. "Multi channel SAR/MTI system development at FGAN: From AER to PAMIR," 2002 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 3, 1697-1701, 2002.