In this paper we explore electromagnetic behavior of arbitrarily oriented biaxially anisotropic media; specifically with respect to reflection and transmission. The reflection and transmission of electromagnetic waves incident upon half-space and two-layer interfaces are investigated. The waves may be incident from either the isotropic region or the biaxial region. The biaxial medium considered may be aligned with the principal coordinate system or may be arbitrarily oriented. Critical angle and Brewster angle effects are also analyzed.
Jennifer W. Graham,
Jay Kyoon Lee,
"Reflection and Transmission from Biaxially Anisotropic-Isotropic Interfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 681-702, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12110808
1. Grzegorczyk, T. M., M. Nikku, X. Chen, B.-I.Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Refraction laws for anisotropic media and their application to left-handed metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1443-1450, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.845206
2. Grzegorczyk, T. M., X. Chen, J. Pacheco, J. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Reflection coefficients and Goos-Hänchen shifts in anisotropic and bianisotropic left-handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 83-113, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04040901
3. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2000.
4. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with general bianisotropic slabs," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 40, No. 10, 1870-1878, Oct. 1992. doi:10.1109/22.159623
5. Semchenko, I. V. and S. A. Khakhomov, "Artificial uniaxial bianisotropic media at oblique incidence of electromagnetic waves," Electromagnetics, Vol. 22, No. 1, 71-84. doi:10.1080/027263402753427673
6. Lee, Y. H., Microwave remote sensing of multi-layered anisotropic random media, Ph.D. Dissertation, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, Dec. 1993.
7. Stamnes, J. J. and G. S. Sithambaranathan, "Reflection and refraction of an arbitrary electromagnetic wave at a plane interface separating an isotropic and a biaxial medium ," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, No. 12, 3119-3129, Dec. 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.003119
8. Abdulhalim, I., "Exact 2 × 2 matrix method for the transmission and reflection at the interface between two arbitrarily oriented biaxial crystals," Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, Vol. 1, No. 6, 655-661. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/1/6/301
9. Landry, G. D. and T. A. Maldonado, "Complete method to determine transmission and reflection characteristics at a planar interface between arbitrarily oriented biaxial media," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 12, No. 9, 2048-2063, Sep. 1995. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.12.002048
10. Landry, G. D., Transmission and reflection characteristics of biaxial interfaces in single and multilayer structures, Master's Thesis, The University of Texas at Arlington, Dec. 1993.
11. Mudaliar, S. and J. K. Lee, "Dyadic Green's functions for a two-layer biaxially anisotropic medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 10, No. 7, 909-923, 1996. doi:10.1163/156939396X00027
12. Pettis, G. F., Hertzian dipoles and microstrip circuits on arbitrarily oriented biaxially anisotropic media, Ph.D. Dissertation, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, Dec. 2008.
13. Graham, J. W. and J. K. Lee, "Reflection and transmission at isotropic-biaxial interface," 30th URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, Istanbul, Turkey, Aug. 2011.
14. Adamson, P., "Reflection properties of a biaxially anisotropic dielectric film in a long-wavelength approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 37-59, 2011.
15. Graham, J. W. and J. K. Lee, "Microstrip dipoles printed on biaxial substrates," 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation.
16. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "On measuring the permittivity tensor of an anisotropic material from the transmission coefficients," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 105-116, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08072005