We describe the implementations of Drude-critical point model for describing dispersive media into finite difference time domain algorithm using piecewise-linear recursive-convolution and auxiliary differential equation methods. The advantages, accuracy and stability of both implementations are analyzed in detail. Both implementations were applied in studying the transmittance and reflectance of thin metal films, and excellent agreement is observed between analytical and numerical results.
"PLRC and ADE
Implementations of Drude-Critical Point Dispersive Model for the FDTD Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 373-390, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112207
1. Ozbay, , E., , "Ozbay, E., Plasmonics: Merging photonics and electronics at nanoscale dimensions," Science, Vol. 311, , No. 5758, 189-193, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1114849
2. Liaw, , J.-W., C.-S. Chen, and J.-H. Chen, "Plasmonic effect of gold nanospheroid on spontaneous emission," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 31, 283-296, 2011.
3. Smajic, J., , C. Hafner, L. Raguin, K. Tavzarashvili, and M. Mishrikey, "Comparison of numerical methods for the analysis of plasmonic structures," J. Comput. Theor. Nanos., Vol. 6, No. 3, 763-774, 2009.. doi:10.1166/jctn.2009.1107
4. Taflove, , A. , S. C. Hagness, and , Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, 3rd Ed., Artech House Publishers, 685 Canton Street, , Norwood, MA 02062, USA, 2005.
5. Lee, , K. H., , I. Ahmed, R. S. M. Goh, E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and T. G. G. Hung, "Implementation of the FDTD method based on lorentz-drude dispersive model on GPU for plasmonics applications ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 116, 441-456, 2011.
6. Shahmansouri, , A. a and B. Rashidian, "GPU implementation of split-field definite-difference time-domain method for drude-lorentz dispersive media," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 125, 55-77, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12010505
7. Etchegoin, , P. G., , E. C. Le Ru, and M. Meyer, "An analytic model for the optical properties of gold," J. Chem. Phys., Vol. 125, No. 16, 164705-3, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2360270
8. Young, , J. L., R. O. Nelson, and , "A summary and systematic analysis of FDTD algorithms for linearly dispersive media," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 43, No. 1, 61-126, 2001. doi:10.1109/74.920019
9. Etchegoin, , P. G., , E. C. Le Ru, and M. Meyer, , "Erratum: `An analytic model for the optical properties of gold' ," [J. Chem. Phys., 125, 164705, 2006], Vol. 127, No. 18, 189901-1, 2007.
10. Vial, , A. , T. Laroche, and , "Comparison of gold and silver dispersion laws suitable for FDTD simulations," Appl. Phys. B, Vol. 93, No. 1, 139-143, , 2008. doi:10.1007/s00340-008-3202-4
11. Kelley, , D. F., R. J. Luebbers, and , "Piecewise linear recursive convolution for dispersive media using FDTD," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 44, No. 6, 792-797, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.509882
12. Luebbers, , R., , D. Steich, and K. Kunz, , "FDTD calculation of scattering from frequency-dependent materials," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 41, No. 9, 1249-1257, 1993.. doi:10.1109/8.247751
13. Vial, A., , "Implementation of the critical points model in the recursive convolution method for modelling dispersive media with the ¯nite-di®erence time domain method," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 9, No. 7, 745-748, 2007.. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/9/7/029
15. Weedon, , W. H., C. M. Rappaport, and , "A general method for FDTD modeling of wave propagation in arbitrary frequency-dispersive media," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 401-410, , 1997.. doi:10.1109/8.558655
16. Joseph, , R. M., , S. C. Hagness, and A. Taflove, "Direct time integration of Maxwell's equations in linear dispersive media with absorption for scattering and propagation of femtosecond electromagnetic pulses," Opt. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 18, 412-1414, 1991. doi:10.1364/OL.16.001412
17. Okoniewski, , M., , M. Mrozowski, and M. A. Stuchly, , "Simple treatment of multi-term dispersion in FDTD," IEEE Microw. Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 7, No. 5, Vol. 7, No. 5, 121-123, 1997.. doi:10.1109/75.569723
18. Vial, , A., T. Laroche, and , "Description of dispersion properties of metals by means of the critical points model and application to the study of resonant structures using the FDTD method," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 40, , No. 22, 7152-7158, 2007.. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/40/22/043
19. Okoniewski, , M. , E. Okoniewska, and , "Drude dispersion in ADE FDTD revisited," Electron. Lett., Vol. 504, No. 9, 503-504, 2006.. doi:10.1049/el:20060328
20. Hulse, C. , A. Knoesen, and , "Dispersive models for the ¯nite-di®erence time-domain method: Design, analysis, and implementation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A,, Vol. 11, No. 6, 1802-1811, 1994. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.11.001802
21. Lin, , Z. , L. Thyln, and , "On the accuracy and stability of several widely used FDTD approaches for modeling lorentz dielectrics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3378-3381, 2009.. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029383
22. Pereda, , A., , L. A. Vielva, A. Vegas, and A. Prieto, "Analyzing the stability of the FDTD technique by combining the von Neumann method with the Routh-Hurwitz criterion," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 2, 377-381, 2001.. doi:10.1109/22.903100
23. Johnson, , P. B. , R. W. Christy, and , "Optical constants of the noble metals," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 6, No. 12, 4370, , 1972. . doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.6.4370
24. Born, , M. , E. Wolf, and , Principles of Optics: Electromagnetic Theory of Propagation,, 7th Ed., Interference and Diffraction of Light Cambridge University Press, 1999..