In this paper, analytical field expressions are proposed to determine the electromagnetic fields due to an inclined lightning channel in the presence of a ground reflection at the striking point. The proposed method can support different current functions and models directly in the time domain without the need to apply any extra conversions. A set of measured electromagnetic fields associated with an inclined lightning channel from a triggered lightning experiment is used to evaluate the proposed field expressions. The results indicate that the peak of the electromagnetic fields is dependent on the channel angle, the observation point angle as well as the value of the ground reflection factor due to the difference between channel and ground impedances. Likewise, the effect of the channel parameters and the ground reflection on the values of the electromagnetic fields is considered and the results are discussed accordingly.
Mohd Zainal Abidin Ab Kadir,
"Evaluation of Electromagnetic Fields Due to Inclined Lightning Channel in Presence of Ground Reflection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 135, 677-694, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12112503
1. Andreotti, , A., F. Mottola, M. Pagano, and L. Verolino, , "Lightning induced voltages on power lines: A new statistical approach," International Symposium on Power ElectronicsAutomation and Motion, SPEEDAM, 445-451, 2008.
2. Ianoz, , M., "Review of new developments in the modeling of lightning electromagnetic e®ects on overhead lines and buried cables," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, 224-236, 2007.
3. Yang, , C., B. Zhou, and , "Calculation methods of electromagnetic fields very close to lightning," ¯elds very close to lightning," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 46, 133-141, 2004.
4. Moini, , R., , S. Sadeghi, and B. Kordi, "An electromagnetic model An electromagnetic model equation in time domain," Engineering Analysis With Boundary Elements, Vol. 27, 305-314, 2003..
5. Izadi, , M, , M. Z. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. W. Ahmad, "An analytical second-fdtd method for evaluation of electric and magnetic ¯elds at intermediate distances from lightning channel, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 329-352, 2010.
6. Izadi, , M., , M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of electromagnetic filds associated with inclined lightning channel using second order FDTD-hybrid methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 209-236, 2011..
7. Izadi, , M., , A. Kadir, and A. Rahman, , "On comparison between rusck and taylor coupling models for evaluation of lightning induced voltage on the power lines ( ," Asia- Pacific Symposium on Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics (APSAEM10)) Journal of the Japan Society of Applied Electromag, Vol. 19, 131-134, 19, S131.
8. Izadi, , M., M. Z. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. H. W. Ahmad, "Analytical expressions for electromagnetic fields associated with the inclined lightning channels in the time domain ," Electric Power Components and Systems, Vol. 40, 414-438, 2012.
9. Izadi, M., M. Z. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. Wan Ahmad, "Evaluation of electromagnetic fields due to lightning channel with respect to the striking angle," International Review of Electrical Engineering (IREE), Vol. 6, 1013-1023, 2011.
10. Izadi, , M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, V. Cooray, and J. Shoene, "Evaluation of lightning current and velocity profiles along lightning channel using measured magnetic flux density," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 473-492, 2012.
11. Izadi, , M. , M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and V. Cooray, "Evaluation of lightning return stroke current using measured electromagnetic fields," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 581-600, 2012..
12. Vujevic, , S., , D. Lovric, and I. Juric-Grgic, , "Least squares estimation of Heidler function parameters," European Transactions on Electrical Power, Vol. 21, 329-344, 2011.
13. Heidler, , F., , "Analytische blitzstromfunktion zur LEMP-berechnung," Presented at the 18th ICLP, 1985..
14. Izadi, , M., M. Kadir, and , "New algorithm for evaluation of electric ¯elds due to indirect lightning strike," CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, Vol. 67, 1-12, 2010.
15. Rakov, V., "Lightning electromagnetic fields: Modeling and measurements," 12th Int. Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 59-64, 1997 .
16. Cooray, V., The Lightning Flash, IET Press, 2003..
17. Izadi, M, , M. Z. A. Kadir, C. Gomes, and M. T. Askari, "Evaluation of lightning return stroke parameters using measured magnetic flux density and PSO algorithm," Przeglad Elektrotechniczny (Electrical Review), Vol. 88, No. NR 10a, (Electri.
18. Nucci, , C. A., "Lightning-induced voltages on overhead power lines. Part I: Return stroke current models with specified channel-base current for the evaluation of the return stroke electromagnetic fields," Electra, Vol. 161, 75-102, 1995..
20. Bermudez, J. L., , "Lightning currents and electromagnetic fields associated with return strokes to evaluated strike objects," Ph.D. Ecole Polytechnique Federale De Lausanne, 2003..
21. Zhou, , X., "On independence completeness of Maxwell's equations and uniqueness theorems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 117-134, 2006..
22. Chen, , J., Q. Liu, and , "A non-spurious vector spectral element method for Maxwell's equations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 205-215, 2009.
23. Nevels, , R. , C. S. Shin, and , "Lorenz, lorentz, and the gauge," IEEE Antennas & Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, 70-72, 2001.
24. Thottappillil, , R, V. Rakov, and , "Review of three equivalent approaches for computing electromagnetic fields from an extending lightning discharge," Journal of Lightning Research, Vol. 1, 90-110, 2007.
25. Izadi, , M., M. Z. A. A. Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. W. Ahmad, "Numerical expressions in time domain for electromagnetic fields due to lightning channels," International Journal of Applied Electromagnetics and Mechanics, Vol. 37, 275-289, 2011.
26. Kreyszig, , E., Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Wiley-India, 2007.
27. Matthew, , N. O. S., , "Numerical Technique in Electromagnetics," CRC Press, LLC,, CRC Pres.
28. Kodali, , V., V. Rakov, M. Uman, K. Rambo, G. Schnetzer, J. Schoene, and J. Jerauld, "Triggered-lightning properties inferred from measured currents and very close electric fields," Atmospheric Research, Vol. 76, 355-376, 2005.
29. Paolone, , M., , C. Nucci, E. Petrache, and F. Rachidi, "Mitigation of lightning-induced overvoltages in medium voltage distribution lines by means of periodical grounding of shielding wires and of surge arresters: Modeling and experimental validation," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery,, Vol. 19, 423-431, 2004..
30. Paolone, , M., , C. Nucci, and F. Rachidi, , "A new finite difference time domain scheme for the evaluation of lightning induced overvoltage on multiconductor overhead lines," International Conference on Power System Transient (IPST), 596-602, 2001..
31. Nucci, C. A., "Lightning-induced voltages on overhead power lines. Part II: Coupling models for the evaluation of the induced voltages," Electra,, Vol. 162, 121-145, 1995..
32. Nucci, , C. A., F. Rachidi, M. Ianoz, and C. Mazzetti, "Comparison of two coupling models for lightning-induced overvoltage calculations," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 10, 330-339, 1995..