A novel type of dual circular polarizer for simultaneously receiving and transmitting right-hand and left-hand circularly polarized waves is developed and tested. It consists of a H-plane T junction of rectangular waveguide, one circular waveguide as an E-plane arm located on top of the junction, and two metallic pins used for matching. The theoretical analysis and design of the three-physical-port and four-mode polarizer were researched by solving Scattering-Matrix of the network and using a full-wave electromagnetic simulation tool. The optimized polarizer has the advantages of a very compact size with a volume smaller than 0.8λ3, low complexity and manufacturing cost. A couple of the polarizer has been manufactured and tested, and the experimental results are basically consistent with the theories.
1. Uher, J., J. Bornemann, and U. Rosenberg, Waveguide Components for Antenna Feed Systems: Theory and CAD, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1993.
2. Bertin, G., B. Piovano, L. Accatino, and M. Mongiardo, "Full-wave design and optimization of circular waveguide polarizers with elliptical irises," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1077-1083, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/22.993409
3. Chen, M. H. and G. N. Tsandoulas, "A wide-band square waveguide array polarizer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 21, 389-391, May 1973. doi:10.1109/TAP.1973.1140486
4. Ege, T. and P. McAndrew, "Analysis of stepped septum polarizers," Electronic Lett., Vol. 21, 1166-1168, Nov. 1985.
5. Piovano, B., G. Bertin, L. Accatino, and M. Mongiardo, CAD and optimization of compact wide-band septum polarizers, Eur. Microwave Conf., Munich, Germany, 1999.
6. Bornemann, J. and V. A. Labay, "Ridge waveguide polarizer with finite and stepped-thickness septum," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 1782-1787, Aug. 1995. doi:10.1109/22.402260
7. Zhong, W. Y., B. Li, Q. Y. Fan, and Z. Q. Shen, "X-band compact septum polarizer design," ICMTCE, 167-170, May 22-25, 2011.
8. Ihmels, R., U. Papziner, and F. Arndt, Field theory design of a corrugated septum OMT, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 909-912, 1993.
9. Jung, Y. B., "Ka-band polariser structure and its antenna application," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 931-932, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.1247
10. Eom, S. Y. and Y. B. Korchemkin, "A new comb circular polarizer suitable for millimeter-band application," ETRI J., Vol. 28, No. 5, 656-659, Oct. 2006. doi:10.4218/etrij.06.0206.0110
11. Virone, G., R. Tascone, M. Baralis, O. A. Peverini, A. Olivieri, and R. Orta, "A novel design tool for waveguide polarizers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Part 1, Vol. 53, No. 3, 888-894, Mar. 2005.
12. Virone, G., R. Tascone, O. A. Peverini, G. Addamo, and R. Orta, "Combined-phase-shift waveguide polarizer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 509-511, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2001005
13. Chang, C., S. Church, S. G. Tantawi, P. Voll, M. Sieth, and K. Devaraj, "Theory and experiment of a compact waveguide dual circular polarizer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 211-225, 2012.
14. Wang, S. W., C. H. Chien, C. L. Wang, and R. B. Wu, "A circular polarizer designed with a dielectric septum loading," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 1719-1723, Jul. 2, 2004.
15. Zhang, T. I. and Z. H. Yan, "A Ka dual-band circular waveguide polarizer," 7th Int. Symp. on Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory, 1-4, Oct. 2006.
16. Kovac, M., E. M. Leitch, C. Pryke, J. E. Carlstrom, N. W. Halverson, and W. L. Holzapfel, "Detection of polarization in the cosmic microwave background using DASI," Nature, Vol. 420, 772-787, 2002. doi:10.1038/nature01269
17. Letizia, M., B. Fuchs, C. Zorraquino, J.-F. Zurcher, and J. R. Mosig, "Oblique incidence design of meander-line polarizers for dielectric lens antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 309-335, 2012.
18. Heidari, A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032401
19. Masa-Campos, J. L. and F. Gonzalez-Fernandez, "Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of 45± tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092406
20. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
21. Wu, G.-L., W. Mu, G. Zhao, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna FED by lstrip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 39-46, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07092001
22. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, Y.-L. Yan, and J. Chen, "Parametric studies on the circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 65-77, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC09121505
23. Lin, C., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Zhu, and F. Zhang, "A novel three-fed microstrip antenna for circular polarization application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1511-1520, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310792149731
24. Montgomery, C. G., R. H. Dicke, and E. M. Purce, Principles of Microwave Circuits, Boston Technical Lithographers Inc., Lexington, USA, 1963.
25. Aramaki, Y., N. Yoneda, M. Miyazaki, and T. Horie, "Ultra-thin broadband OMT with turnstile junction," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., Vol. 1, 47-50, Jun. 2003.
26. Navarrini, A. and R. L. Plambeck, "A turnstile junction waveguide orthomode transducer," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 272-277, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.860505
27. Pisano, G., et al., "A broadband WR10 turnstile junction ortho-mode transducer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 286, 2007. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2007.892976
28. Tribak, A., J. L. Cano, A. Mediavilla, and M. Boussouis, "Octave bandwidth compact turnstile-based orthomode transducer," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 10, 539-541, 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2060261
29. HFSS, USA, http://www.ansys.com/.
30. Crandell, P. A., "A turnstile polarizer for rain cancellation," Transactions of the IRE Professional Group on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 3, No. 1, 10-15, Jan. 1955. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1955.1124897