A three-dimensional (3-D) source localization algorithm of joint elevation, azimuth angles and range estimation for the mixed near-field (NF) and far-field (FF) sources is presented in this paper. We first estimate the elevation angles of all mixed sources by using the generalized ESPRIT method. With the elevation angle estimates, the range parameters of all mixed sources are obtained, and then both the NF and FF sources are distinguished. Finally, with the elevation angle and range estimates, the azimuth angles of all mixed sources are acquired based on the conventional high-resolution MUSIC method. The proposed algorithm avoids parameter match operation, and requires neither a multidimensional search nor high-order statistics (HOS). Simulation and experiment results show the performance of the proposed algorithm in this paper.
"Three-Dimensional Localization Algorithm for Mixed Near-Field and Far-Field Sources Based on ESPRIT and MUSIC Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 136, 435-456, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER12121208
1. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research: The parametric approach," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 13, No. 4, 67-94, 1996. doi:10.1109/79.526899
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameters estimation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 267-280, Mar. 1986.
3. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT --- Estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance technique," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, Jul. 1989. doi:10.1109/29.32276
4. Gao, F. F. and A. B. Gershman, "A generalized ESPRIT approach to direction-of-arrival estimation," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, Mar. 2005. doi:10.1109/LSP.2004.842276
5. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, M. Benedetti, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "The M-DSO-ESPRIT method for maximum likelihood DOA estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 477-497, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07121106
6. Changuel, H., F. Harabi, and A. Gharsallah, "2-L-shape two-dimensional arrival angle estimation with a classical subspace algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 301-315, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112802
7. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interporlated ESPRIT algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011904
8. Harabi, F., H. Changuel, and A. Gharsallah, "Direction of arrival estimation method using a 2-L shape arrays antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 145-160, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120204
9. Swindlehurst, A. L. and T. Kailath, "Passive direction of arrival and range estimation for near-field sources," IEEE Spec. Est. and Mod. Workshop, Vol. 123, No. 128, 1988.
10. Huang, Y.-D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple source localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 968-975, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.86917
11. Grosicki, E. and K. Abed-Meraim, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-field source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3651-3660, Oct. 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.855100
12. Liang, J. L. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of near-field sources using cumulant," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 8, 953-960, 2009. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2009.2025580
13. Starer, D. and A. Nehorai, "Passive localization of near-field sources by path following," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 3, 677-680, 1994. doi:10.1109/78.277864
14. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "Passive near-field localization of multiple non-Gaussian sources in 3-D using cumulants," Signal Process., Vol. 65, 39-53, 1998. doi:10.1016/S0165-1684(97)00206-5
15. Dehghanian, V., M. Okhovvat, and M. Hakkak, "A new interpolation technique for the reconstruction of uniformly spaced samples from non-uniformly spaced ones in plane-rectangular near-field antenna measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 47-59, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07022603
16. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "3-D spherical localization of multiple non-Gaussian sources using cumulants," 8th Sag. Proc. Workshop on SSAP, 101-104, Corfu, Greece, 1996.
17. Abed-Meraim, K. and Y. Hua, "3-D near field source localization using second order statistics," Conference Record of the Thirty-First Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems & Amp; Computers, Vol. 2, 1307-1311, 1997.
18. Lee, C. M., K. S. Yoon, J. H. Lee, and K. K. Lee, "Efficient algorithm for localizing 3-D narrowband multiple sources," IEE Proc., Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 148, No. 1, 23-26, 2001. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20010074
19. Yan, W., J.-D. Xu, G. Wei, L. Fu, and H.-B. He, "A fast 3D imaging technique for near-field circular SAR processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 271-285, 2012.
20. Lee, J. H., D. H. Park, G. T. Park, and K. K. Lee, "Algebraic path-following algorithm for localising 3-D near-field sources in uniform circular array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1283-1285, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030819
21. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using two-stage music algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 1, 108-120, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2009.2029723
22. He, J., M. N. S. Swamy, and M. O. Ahmad, "Efficient application of MUSIC algorithm under the coexistence of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2066-2070, 2012. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2180902
23. Wang, B., J. J. Liu, and X. Y. Sun, "Mixed sources localization based on sparse signal reconstruction," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 19, No. 8, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1109/LSP.2012.2204248
24. Johnson, R. C., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 3rd Ed., 9-12, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
25. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 33, 387-392, Apr. 1985. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1985.1164557
26. Barabell, A. J., "Improving the resolution performance of eigenstructure-based direction-finding algorithms," IEEE International Conference on ICASSP'83 Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 336-339, Boston, MA, May 1983.
27. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Performance analysis of root-music," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 12, 1939-1949, Dec. 1989. doi:10.1109/29.45540
28. Cheng, S.-C. and K.-C. Lee, "Reducing the array size for DOA estimation by an antenna mode switch technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 117-134, 2012.
29. Lie, J. P., B. P. Ng, and C. M. S. See, "Multiple UWB emitters DOA estimation employing time hopping spread spectrum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 83-101, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091303
30. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.
31. Li, Y. and H. Ling, "Improved current decomposition in helical antennas using the ESPRIT algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 279-293, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10052811
32. El Korso, M. N., B. Royer, A. Renaux, and S. Marcos, "Conditional and unconditional Cramér-Rao bounds for near-field source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 5, May 2010. doi:10.1109/TSP.2010.2043128
33. Stoica, P. and A. Nehorai, "MUSIC,maximum likelihood and Cramér-Rao bound," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 5, 720-741, May 1989. doi:10.1109/29.17564
34. Liang, J. L., X. J. Zeng, B. J. Ji, J. Y. Zhang, and F. Zhao, "A computationally efficient algorithm for joint range-DOA-frequency estimation of near-field sources," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 19, No. 4, 596-611, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1016/j.dsp.2008.06.006