In this paper, a novel circularly polarized Spidron fractal slot antenna array developed for broadband satellite communication in the Ku-band is discussed. A Spidron fractal slot configuration was utilized as a single radiating element to achieve circularly polarized radiation. The effects of altering the feeding position on the resonance behavior and the radiative characteristics were assessed. As a consequence, the design was expanded from a single element to a 2×2 subarray and further to a 4×4 array in order to enhance the bandwidth performance of the antenna when integrated with a sequential feeding network. Two prototype arrays were fabricated and tested, and measurements revealed that the 2×2 subarray has a 10-dB reflection coefficient bandwidth between 10 and 14.28 GHz, 3 dB axial ratio bands between 10.15 and 11.15 GHz and between 11.75 and 13.92 GHz, and a maximum gain of 11.4 dB at 13 GHz. The results for the 4×4 array indicated that both the 10-dB reflection coefficient and 3 dB axial ratio bandwidths cover the entire operating frequency from 10 to 15 GHz in the Ku-band. The maximum gain for the 4×4 array was 15.63 dB at 12.6 GHz.
1. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, 1992.
2. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
3. Gujral, M., J. L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012.
4. Wei, K. P., Z. J. Zhang, and Z. H. Feng, "Design of a dualband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 101-120, 2012.
5. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
6. Asimakis, N. P., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Non-invasive microwave radiometric system for intracranial applications: A study using the conformal L-notch microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 83-101, 2011.
7. Wang, X., M. Zhang, and S.-J. Wang, "Practicability analysis and application of PBG structures on cylindrical conformal microstrip antenna and array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 495-507, 2011.
8. Tiang, J. J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
9. Garcia-Aguilar, A., J.-M. Inclan-Alonso, L. Vigil-Herrero, J.-M. Fernandez-Gonzalez, and M. Sierra-Perez, "Low-profile dual circularly polarized antenna array for satellite communications in the X band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 5, 2276-2284, 2012.
10. Lau, P.-Y., K. K.-O. Yung, and E. K.-N. Yung, "A low-cost printed CP patch antenna for RFID smart bookshelf in library," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 57, No. 5, 1583-1589, 2010.
11. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
12. Rao, P. N. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "Fractal boundary circularly polarised single feed microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 12, 713-714, 2008.
13. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4329-4333, 2011.
14. Tang, X., H. Wong, Y. Long, Q. Xue, and K. L. Lau, "Circularly polarized shorted patch antenna on high permittivity substrate with wideband," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 3, 1588-1592, 2012.
15. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T and F-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011.
16. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
17. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012.
18. Nakano, H., K. Nakayama, H. Mimaki, J. Yamauchi, and K. Hirose, "Single-arm spiral slot antenna fed by a triplate transmission line," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 22, 2088-2090, 1992.
19. Hall, P. S., "Application of sequential feeding to wide bandwidth, circularly polarised microstrip patch arrays," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng. Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 136, No. 5, 390-398, 1989.
20. Evans, H., P. Gale, and A. Sambell, "Performance of 4 x 4 sequentially rotated patch antenna array using series feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 6, 493-494, 2003.
21. Soliman, E. A., S. Brebels, E. Beyne, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Sequential-rotation arrays of circularly polarized aperture antennas in the MCM-D technology," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 6, 581-585, 2005.
22. Kaflash, S. and M. Kamyab, "A sequentially rotated RHCP stacked patch antenna array for INMARSAT-M land applications," Proc. 6th European Conf. Antennas Propag. (EUCAP), 1-4, Prague, Czech Republic, 2012.