This paper proposes a novel synchronous wideband frequency domain method for measuring time domain response of long-distance channel. Its core consists of: (1) baseband signal generators at the transmission terminal and the reception terminal respectively are used to generate the wideband signal of the same frequency; (2) the two GPS clock frequency reference sources locked on the same satellite are used to yield the high-stability 10MHz signal as the external reference source of the baseband signal generator so that the initial phases of the wideband signals are basically the same; (3) the pulse per second (PPS) signal generated by the GPS clock frequency reference source is used as trigger signal to ensure that the baseband signal generator and the vector network analyzer (VNA) can transmit and receive signals synchronously; (4) the time domain response of the channel is indirectly obtained through the inverse Fourier transform of amplitude and phase of the frequency domain response. To verify the measurement method, experiments were performed, in which the sea surface evaporation waveguide which is tens of kilometers apart from each other was selected as the channel. The experimental results, given in Figs. 4 and 5, and their analysis show that the measurement method can obtain amplitude and phase of the signal whose band is hundreds of MHz and whose equivalent pulse width reaches 5ns. The measurement method is used to obtain the time domain response of the long-distance channel, verifying that the measurement method is effective.
Shu Xia Guo,
"A Synchronous Wideband Frequency-Domain Method for Long-Distance Channel Measurement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 137, 643-652, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13013012
1. Irahhauten, Z., H. Nikookar, and G. J. M. Janssen, "An overview of ultra wide band indoor channel measurements and modeling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 8, 386-388, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2004.832620
2. Ghaddar, M., L. Talbi, and G. Y. Delisle, "Coherence bandwidth measurement in indoor broadband propagation channel at unlicensed 60 GHz band," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 13, 795-797, 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2012.0397
3. Santos, T., J. Karedal, P. Almers, et al. "Modeling the ultra-wideband outdoor channel: Measurements and parameter extraction method," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Vol. 9, No. 1, 282-291, 2010. doi:10.1109/TWC.2010.01.090391
4. Taha-Ahmed, B., D. F. Campillo, and J. L. Masa-Campos, "Short range propagation model for a very wideband directive channel at 5.5 GHz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 319-346, 2012.
5. Li, B., Z. Zhou, D. Li, and S. Zhai, "Efficient cluster identification for measured ultra-wideband channel impulse response in vehicle cabin," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 121-147, 2011.
6. Chen, Z. and Y.-P. Zhang, "Effects of antennas and propagation channels on synchronization performance of a pulse-based ultra-wideband radio system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 95-112, 2011.
7. Dezfooliyan, A. and A. M. Weiner, "Evaluation of time domain propagation measurements of UWB systems using spread spectrum channel sounding," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4855-4865, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207358
8. Sesnic, S., D. Poljak, and S. V. Tkachenko, "Time domain analytical modeling of a straight thin wire buried in a lossy medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 485-504, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11072109
9. Siamarou, A. G. and M. Al-Nuaimi, "A wideband frequency-domain channel-sounding system and delay-spread measurements at the license-free 57- to 64-GHz band," IEEE Trans. on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 59, No. 3, 519-526, 2010. doi:10.1109/TIM.2009.2023105
10. Podwalski, J., P. Kowalczyk, and M. Mrozowski, "Efficient multiscale finite difference frequency domain analysis using multiple macromodels with compressed boundaries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 463-479, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12012008
11. Kunisch, J., I. de la Torre, A. Winkelmann, et al. "Wideband time-variant air-to-ground radio channel measurements at 5 GHz," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1386-1390, Italy, 2011.
12. Matolak, D. W., I. Sen, and W. Xiong, "The 5-GHz airport surface area channel - Part I: Measurement and modeling results for large airports," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2014-2026, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.912334
13. Sen, I. and D. W. Matolak, "The 5-GHz airport surface area channel - Part II: Measurement and modeling results for small airports," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 4, 2027-2035, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.912335
14. Diaz, N. R. and J. E. J. Esquitino, "Wideband channel characterization for wireless communications inside a short haul aircraft," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 223-228, Italy, 2004.
15. Fernandez, O., R. Jaramillo, M. Domingo, et al. "Characterization and modeling of BFWA channels in outdoor-indoor environments," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 236-239, 2010.
16. Yu, S. M. and H. L. Yee, "Measurements and characterizations of air-to-ground channel over sea surface at C-band with low airborne altitudes," IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 60, No. 4, 1943-1948, 2011. doi:10.1109/TVT.2011.2136364
17. Nie, D., M. Zhang, X. Geng, and P. Zhou, "Investigation on doppler spectral characteristics of electromagnetic backscattered echoes from dynamic nonlinear surfaces of finite-depth sea," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 169-186, 2012.
18. Zhang, J.-P., Z.-S. Wu, Y.-S. Zhang, and B. Wang, "Evaporation duct retrieval using changes in radar sea clutter power versus receiving height," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 555-571, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11121307