A compact quad-band hybrid antenna for Compass/WiMAX/WLAN applications is proposed. The hybrid antenna is designed based on the method of combining a composite right/left-handed transmission line (CRLH-TL) unit cell with a meandered monopole and wide multi-band characteristics are achieved by merging some of resonance frequencies of the CRLH-TL unit cell and meandered monopole together. Coplanar waveguide (CPW) is used as a parallel excitation for both the CRLH-TL unit cell and meandered monopole. A prototype of the proposed hybrid antenna has been constructed and experimentally studied. The measured results show that four distinct operating bandwidths with 10 dB return loss are about 30 MHz (1.25-1.28 GHz), 290 MHz (2.44-2.73 GHz), 650 MHz (3.17-3.82 GHz) and 1130 MHz (5.03-6.16 GHz), covering the Compass B3, 2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz WiMAX and 5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN bands. Furthermore, the antenna has a single-layer planar structure with a small volume of only 31 × 21 × 2 mm3. Acceptable radiation patterns and peak realized gains are obtained over the operating bands.
1. Luk, , K. M., , "The importance of the new developments in antennas for wireless communications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 99, 2082-2084, 2011. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2011.2167430
2. Panda, , J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applicationss," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011..
3. Lu, J.-H. , Y.-H. Li, and , "Planar multi-band T-shaped monopole antenna with a pair of mirrored L-shaped strips for WLAN/WiMAX operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,, Vol. 21, 33-44, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM11070803
4. Shu, P., Q. Feng, and , "Compact tri-band monopole antenna with a parasitic E-shaped strip for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 53-63, 2012.
5. Sayidmarie, K. H. and T. A. Nagem, "Compact dual-band dual-ring printed monopole antennas for WLAN applications, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 43, 313-331, 2012.