This paper proposes a novel method to make large area metamaterials on arbitrary planar hard or flexible substrates, in-situ. The method is based on painting the desired substrate with metallic and dielectric paints through a patterned stencil mask. We demonstrate this painting approach to fabricate ultra-thin perfect electromagnetic absorbers based on metamaterials at X-band frequencies (8-12 GHz) with paper based stencils, silver ink and latex paint. Measurement results on absorber samples made with this process shows absorption of 95%-99%, in close agreement with simulation results. The proposed painting approach is a simple low cost additive manufacturing process that can be used to realize metamaterial based frequency selective surfaces and filters, radar absorbers, camouflage screens, electromagnetic sensors and EMI protection devices.
"In-Situ Large Area Fabrication of Metamaterials on Arbitrary Substrates Using Paint Process," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 117-133, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13050313
1. Oraizi, H., A. Abdolali, and N. Vaseghi, "Application of double zero metamaterials as radar absorbing materials for the reduction of radar cross section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 323-337, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010603
2. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, and V. M. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 224-227, 2007. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.28
4. Chen, H.-T., W. J. Padilla, J. M. O. Zide, A. C. Gossard, A. J. Taylor, and R. D. Averitt, "Active terahertz metamaterial devices," Nature, Vol. 144, 597-600, 2006. doi:10.1038/nature05343
5. Shrekenhamer, D., S. Rout, A. C. Strikwerda, C. Bingham, R. D. Averitt, S. Sonkusale, and W. J. Padilla, "High speed terahertz modulation from metamaterials with embedded high electron mobility transistors," Optics Express, Vol. 19, 9968-9975, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.009968
6. Liu, X., S. MacNaughton, D. B. Shrekenhamer, H. Tao, S. Selverasah, A. Totachawattana, R. D. Averitt, S. Sonkusale, and W. J. Padilla, "Metamaterial on parylene thin film substrates: Design, fabrication, and characterization at terahertz frequency," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, 011906-1-3, 2010.
7. Takano, K., T. Kawabata, C. F. Hsieh, F. Miyamaru, M. W. Takeda, R. P. Pan, C. L. Pan, and M. Hangyo, "Terahertz metamaterials fabricated with the super-fine ink-jet printer," 3rd International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, 656, London, 2009.
8. Sure, P., "The silver ink printed antenna," Global Identification, 70-72, 2005.
9. Nikitin, P. V., S. Lam, and K. V. S. Rao, "Low cost silver ink RFID tag antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 353-365, 2005.
10. Tao, H., A. C. Strikwerda, K. Fan, C. M. Bingham, W. J. Padilla, X. Zhang, and R. D. Averitt, "Terahertz metamaterials on free-standing highly-flexible polyimide substrates," J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys., Vol. 41, 232004-1-5, 2008.
11. Landy, N. I., S. Sajuyigbe, J. J. Mock, D. R. Smith, and W. J. Padilla, "Perfect metamaterial absorber," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 207402-1-4, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.207402
12. Singh, P. K., K. A. Korolev, M. N. Afsar, and S. Sonkusale, "Single and dual band 77/95/110 GHz metamaterial absorbers on flexible polyimide substrate," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, 264101-1-4, 2011.
13. Grant, J., Y. Ma, S. Saha, L. B. Lok, A. Khalid, and D. R. S. Cumming, "Polarization insensitive terahertz metamaterial absorber," Optics Letters, Vol. 36, 1524-1526, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.001524
14. Alici, K. B., A. B. Turhan, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Optically thin composite resonant absorber at the near-infrared band: A polarization independent and spectrally broadband configuration," Optics Express, Vol. 19, 14260-14267, 2011. doi:10.1364/OE.19.014260
15. Yu, F., H.Wang, and S. Zou, "Efficient and tunable light trapping thin films," J. Phys. Chem. C, Vol. 114, 2066-2069, 2010. doi:10.1021/jp909974h
16. Aydin, K., V. E. Ferry, R. M. Briggs, and H. A. Atwater, "Broad-band polarization-independent resonant light absorption using ultrathin plasmonic super absorbers," Nature Communications, Vol. 2, 1-7, 2011. doi:10.1038/ncomms1528
17. Otoshi, T. Y., R. J. Cirillo, and J. Sosnowski, "Measurements of complex dielectric constants of paints and primers for DSN antennas: Part I,", 1-7, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 1999.
18. Merilampi, S. L., T. Bjo, A. Bjorninen, L. Vuorimaki, P. Ruuskanen, and L. Sydanheimo, "The effect of conductive ink layer thickness on the functioning of printed UHF RFID antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, 1610-1619, 2010. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2010.2050570
19. Wen, Q.-Y., Y.-S. Xie, H.-W. Zhang, Q.-H. Yang, Y.-X. Li, and Y.-L. Liu, "Transmission line model and fields analysis of metamaterial absorber in the terahertz band," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 20256-20265, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.020256
20. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "A circuit-based model for the interpretation of perfect metamaterial absorbers," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 1201-1209, 2013.
21. Motel, C., S. McNaughton, and S. Sonkusale, "Paint on metamaterial: Low cost fabrication of absorbers at X band frequencies," International Microwave Symposium, 1-3, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2012.
22. Simms, S. and V. Fusco, "Thin radar absorber using artificial magnetic ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 4, 1311-1313, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20053236
23. Micheli, D., R. Pastore, C. Apollo, M. Marchetti, G. Gradoni, V. M. Primiani, and F. Moglie, "Broadband electromagnetic absorbers using carbon nanostructure-based composites," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 2633-2646, 2011. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2011.2160198
24. Zhu, B., Z. Wang, C. Huang, Y. Feng, J. Zhao, and T. Jiang, "Polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber with wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 231-239, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10011110
25. Folgueras, L. D. C., M. A. Alves, and M. C. Rezende, "Development, characterization and optimization of dielectric radar absorbent materials as flexible sheets for use at X-band," IEEE MTT-S Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, 2007.
26. Singh, D., A. Kumar, S. Menaa, and V. Agrawal, "Analysis of frequency selective surfaces for radar absorbing materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 297-314, 2012.
27. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628