A bidirectional circularly polarized array of the same sense is proposed. The implementation is a combination of end-fire array, crossed dipoles, and composite right/left-handed transmission line (CRLH-TL). The proposed array consists of four dipoles spaced at a distance equal to λ0/4 (λ0 is the wavelength in free space at the center frequency). For the bidirectional circular polarization of the same sense, the four dipoles are fed in-phase in a series-fed structure. A feed line that exhibits 0° phase shift every λ0/4 is needed. To satisfy the demand for the space distance and phase distribution in a series-fed array, the CRLH unit cell composed of lumped capacitors and inductors is employed and inserted in the feed line. Theoretical analysis is performed based on the balanced parallel stripline and design equations are presented for the determination of the lumped element parameters. The design method can be used in the design of the arrays with more elements. From the experimental results, the array offers a 4.2 dBic bidirectional circular polarization gain. The bandwidth between which the impedance matching is better than -10 dB and the axial-ratio is better than 3 dB is 300 MHz from 2.39 to 2.69 GHz.
"A Bidirectional Circularly Polarized Array of the Same Sense Based on CRLH Transmission Line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 537-552, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13052806
1. Hori, T., K. Cho, and K. Kagoshima, "Bidirectional base station antenna illuminating a street microcell for personal communication system," Proc. Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 419-422, 1995.
2. Freman, R. L., "Radio system design for telecommunication,", Ch. 10, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.
3. Krairiksh, M., P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09091607
4. Zhang, J., X. M. Zhang, J. S. Liu, Q. F. Wu, T. Ying, and H. Jin, "Dual-band bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN 2.4/5.8 GHz applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 6-7, Jan. 2009.
5. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09061603
6. Iwasaki, H., "Microstrip antenna with back-to-back configuration relative to a slot on a ground plane," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 1373-1374, Jul. 1998.
7. Chen, S.-Y., "Broadband slot-type bruce array fed by a microstrip-to-slotline T-junction," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 116-119, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2012278
8. Lamultree, S. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "Full-wave investigations of a probe-excited rectangular ring antenna by method of moments with RWG basis functions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 161-177, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERC09052201
9. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, "Compact planar UWB antenna with band-notch characteristics for WLAN and DSRC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 391-406, 2013.
10. Chen, C. and E. K. N. Yung, "Dual-band dual-sense circularly-polarized CPW-fed slot antenna with two spiral slots loaded," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1829-1833, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019990
11. Rezaeieh, S. A. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T and F-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11081506
12. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
13. Bolster, M. F., "A new type of circular polarizer using crossed dipoles," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 5, No. 9, 385-388, 1961.
14. Chi, L.-P., S.-S. Bor, S.-M. Deng, C.-L. Tsai, P.-H. Juan, and K.-W. Liu, "A wideband wide-strip dipole antenna for circularly polarized wave operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 69-82, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112201
15. Wang, C.-J. and C.-H. Lin, "A circularly polarized quasi-loop antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 333-348, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081002
16. Lwasaki, H. and N. Chiba, "Circularly polarised back-to-back microstrip antenna with an omnidirectional pattern," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 4, 277-281, 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990568
17. Nordin, M. A. W., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Design of a compact ultrawideband metamaterial antenna based on the modified split-ring resonator and capacitively loaded strips unit cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 157-173, 2013.
18. Yu, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "A dual band circularly polarized ring antenna based on composite right and left handed metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 73-81, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07082902
19. Jimenez-Martin, J. L., V. Gonzalez-Posadas, J. E. Gonzalez-Garcia, F. J. Arques-Orobon, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual band high efficiency class ce power amplifier based on CRLH diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 217-240, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09071609
20. Huang, J.-Q. and Q.-X. Chu, "Compact UWB band-pass filter utilizing modified composite right/left-handed structure with cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 179-186, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10070403
21. De Vincentis, M., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Arbitrary dual-band components using composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1142-1149, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.825747