A novel double-ridge loaded folded waveguide (FWG) traveling-wave tube (TWT) amplifier for sheet electron beam working at 140 GHz is proposed in this paper. The dispersion relation and interaction impedance characteristics have been analyzed based on the equivalent circuit method. The transmission properties and nonlinear interaction are investigated. The simulation results reveal that the double-ridge loaded FWG-TWT with sheet electron beam can make full use of relatively large electronic fields, and the average output power can be over 110 W at 140 GHz when the electron beam voltage and the current of the sheet beam are set to 12.7 kV and 150 mA, respectively. Meanwhile, the maximum gain and interaction efficiency can reach 34 dB and 12%, respectively. Compared with the traditional FWG-TWT, the novel FWG-TWT has the advantages of much higher efficiency and bigger output power.
1. Dohler, G., D. Gagne, D. Gallagher, and R. Moats, "Serpentine wave-guide TWT," 1987 International Electron Devices Meeting, Vol. 33, 1987.
2. Na, Y. H., S. W. Chung, and J. J. Choi, "Analysis of a broadband Q band folded waveguide traveling-wave tube," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 30, No. 3, 1017-1023, Jun. 2002. doi:10.1109/TPS.2002.801638
3. Gallagher, D., J. Richards, and C. Armstrong, "Millimeter-wave folded waveguide TWT development at Northrop Grumman," IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science, Vol. 161, 1997.
4. Gallagher, D., et al., "Optimized design of folded waveguide TWTs," Proc. Int. Vac. Electron. Conf., Vol. 46, 2002.
5. Booske, J. H., "New opportunities in vacuum electronics through the application of microfabrication technologies," Proc. Int. Vac. Electron. Conf., 11-12, Apr. 2002.
6. Alan, J. T., C. J. Meadows, and R. B. True, "Experimental investigation of a novel circuit for millimeter-wave TWTs," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1054-1060, 2007. doi:10.1109/TED.2007.894255
7. Bhattacharjee, S., J. H. Booske, C. L. Kory, D. W. van der Weide, S. Limbach, S. Gallagher, J. D. Welter, M. R. Lopez, R. M. Gilgenbach, R. L. Ives, M. E. Read, R. Divan, and D. C. Mancini, "Folded waveguidetraveling-wave tube sources for terahertz radiation," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 32, No. 3, 1002-1014, Jun. 2004. doi:10.1109/TPS.2004.828886
8. Booske, J. H., M. C. Converse, C. L. Kory, C. T. Chevalier, D. A. Gallagher, K. E. Kreischer, V. O. Heinen, and S. Bhattacharjee, "Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter-wave traveling wave tubes," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 685-694, May 2005. doi:10.1109/TED.2005.845798
9. Han, S. T., J. I. Kim, K. H. Jang, J. K. So, S. S. Chang, N. M. Ryskin, and G. S. Park, "Experimental investigation of millimeter wave folded-waveguide TWT," Proc. Int. Vac. Electron. Conf., 322-323, May 2003.
10. Kory, C., J. David, H. T. Tran, L. Ives, and D. Chernin, "Folded waveguide circuit optimizations using Christine 1D," Proc. 32nd IEEE Int. Conf, Plasma Sci., Vol. 333, Jun. 2005.
11. Han, S. T., J. I. Kim, and G. S. Park, "Design of a folded waveguide traveling-wave tube," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 2, 161-165, Jul. 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11003
12. Hou, Y., et al., "A novel ridge-vane loaded folded waveguide slow-wave structure for 0.22 THz traveling-wave tube," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1228-1235, May 2013. doi:10.1109/TED.2013.2238941
13. He, J., et al., "Investigation of a ridge-loaded folded waveguide slow-wave system for the millimeter wave traveling wave tube," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci., Vol. 38, No. 7, 1556-1562, 2010. doi:10.1109/TPS.2010.2049506
14. Liu, Y., J. Xu, Y.-Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, M. Huang, T. Tang, W.-X. Wang, Y.-B. Gong, and J. Feng, "Design of a V-band high-power sheet-beam coupled-cavity traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 31-45, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11092906
15. Duan, Z., Y. Wang, X. Mao, W.-X. Wang, and M. Chen, "Experimental demonstration of double-negative metamaterials partially filled in a circular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 215-224, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11090502
16. Shin, Y. M., L. R. Barnett, A. Baig, N. C. Luhmann, Jr., J. Pasour, and P. Larsen, "Modeling investigation of an ultrawideband terahertz sheet beam traveling-wave tube amplifier circuit," IEEE Trans. on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, No. 9, 3213-3218, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1109/TED.2011.2159842
21. Kory, C., et al., "Overview of W-band traveling wave tube programs," IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 2006 Held Jointly with 2006 IEEE International Vacuum Electron Sources, 447-448, 2006.