A novel coupled-fed antenna with compact branch-structure for 4G mobile phone is proposed in this paper. In the proposed design, a driven monopole strip and coupled branch-strips are developed to produce different operation band. The prototype of the proposed antenna was fabricated, tested and discussed. Simulation and measurement results reveal that the proposed antenna can provide two wide frequency bands (698~960 MHz, and 1710~2690 MHz), which covers multi-band for LTE700/GSM850/GSM900/DCS1800/PCS1900/UMTS/LTE2300/LTE2500. The proposed antenna with compact size of 34×12×6.5 mm3 is suitable for today's mobile phone application.
"A Coupled-Fed Antenna for 4G Mobile Handset," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 727-737, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13061903
1. Bhuiyan, R. H. and M. Ali, "A double meander PIFA with a parasitic metal box for wideband 4G mobile phones," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), 1914-1917, Jul. 2011.
2. Chen, J. H., Y. L. Ban, H. M. Yuan, and Y. J. Wu, "Printed coupled-fed PIFA for seven-band GSM/UMTS/LTE/WWAN mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 390-401, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030929
3. Yang, C. W., Y. B. Jung, and C. W. Jung, "Octaband internal antenna for 4G mobile handset," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 817-819, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2164049
4. Hussaini, A. S., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, H. I. Hraga, M. S. Bin-Melha, P. S. Excell, and J. Rodriguez, "A dual-band frequency tunable planer inverted F antenna," Proc. Sth Eur. Conf. Antennas Propagation (EUCAP), 223-227, Apr. 2011.
5. Li, Q. D., Q. Y. Feng, and J. Yan, "Design and analysis of ferrite loaded improved slot PIFA antenna," Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Wireless and Opt. Communication Networks, 1-3, Sep. 2010.
6. Selvanayagam, M. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact printed antenna with an embedded double-tuned metamaterial matching network," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 2354-2361, Jul. 2010.
7. Wong, K. L. and S. C. Chen, "Printed single-strip monopole using a chip inductor for penta-band WWAN operation in the mobile phone," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, Jan. 2010.
8. Vainikainen, P., J. Ollikainen, O. Kivekas, and I. Kelander, "Resonator-based analysis of the combination of mobile handset antenna and chassis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, 1433-1444, Oct. 2002.
9. Jeong, Y. S., S. H. Lee, J. H. Yoon, W. Y. Choi, and Y. J. Yoon, "Internal mobile antenna for LTE/GSM850/GSM900/PCS1900/WiMAX/WLAN, triple service bands," Proc. IEEE RWS, 559-562, 2010.
10. Chen, Z., Y. L. Ban, J. H. Chen, J. L. W. Li, and Y. J. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement of LTE/WWAN printed mobile phone antenna using slotted ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 469-483, 2012.
11. Chi, C. W. and C. H. Chang, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
12. Lin, C. I. and K. L. Wong, "Internal meandered loop antenna for multiband mobile phone with the user's hand," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, 3572-3575, Jun. 2007.
13. Lin, W. C., M. Ghavami, and W. C. Chung, "Triple-frequency meandered monopole antenna with shorted parasitic strips for wireless application," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, 1110-1117, Oct. 2009.