A coherent processing method for subband signals of distributed multi-band radar data is proposed and tested. The method uses de-noising cross-correlation (DNCC) algorithm and statistical method to obtain phase incoherent parameters (ICP) between subband signals. After compensating the phase ICP, a coherence function is defined and combined with statistical method to find amplitude ICP. Finally, data fusion method via two-dimensional gapped-data state space approach (2-D GSSA) is applied to subband signals and high-resolution imaging of target is achieved. The advantage of this method lies in that it can be used to process subband signals of different bandwidth and different gaps between them. To validate our work, electromagnetic calculation target and real target measured in microwave chamber are analyzed and used for testing different mutual-coherence and data fusion algorithms. Experimental results demonstrate the superiority of the proposed method over previous approaches in terms of improved imaging quality and performance.
"High-Resolution Imaging Based on Coherent Processing for Distributed Multi-Band Radar Data," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 383-401, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13062504
1. Cuomo, K. M., J. E. Piou, and J. T. Mayhan, "Ultrawide-band coherent processing," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 6, 1094-1107, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.777137
2. Xu, X. J. and L. Jia, "Ultrawide-band radar imagery from multiple incoherent frequency subband measurements," Journal of Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 22, No. 3, 398-404, 2011.
3. Liang, F. L., X. T. Huang, and P. Z. Lei, "A novel coherent algorithm of multiband radar echo," Signal Processing, Vol. 26, No. 6, 863-868, 2010.
4. Tian, J. H., J. P. Sun, G. H. Wang, Y. P. Wang, and W. X. Tan, "Multiband radar signal coherent fusion processing with IAA and apFFT," IEEE Signal Process. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 5, 463-466, 2013. doi:10.1109/LSP.2013.2251631
5. Liu, C. L., F. He, and X. Z. Wei, "Research on multiple radar fusion imaging coherence compensation based on data correlation," Systems Engineering and Electronics, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1266-1271, 2010.
6. Li, H. J., N. H. Farhat, and Y. Shen, "A new iterative algorithm for extrapolation of data available in multiple restricted regions with application to radar imaging," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 35, No. 5, 581-588, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144138
7. Cabrera, S. D. and T. W. Parks, "Extrapolation and spectral estimation with iterative weighted norm modification," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 39, No. 4, 842-851, 1991. doi:10.1109/78.80906
8. Wang, Q., R. B. Wu, M. D. Xing, and Z. Bao, "A new algorithm for sparse aperture interpolation," IEEE Goesci. Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 4, No. 3, 480-484, 2007. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2007.897394
9. Larsson, E. G., P. Stoica, and J. Li, "Amplitude spectrum estimation for two-dimensional gapped data," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1343-1354, 2002. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.1003059
10. Larsson, E. G., G. Q. Liu, P. Stoica, and J. Li, "High-resolution SAR imaging with angular diversity," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 37, No. 4, 1359-1372, 2001. doi:10.1109/7.976971
11. Bai, X. R., F. Zhou, M. D. Xing, and Z. Bao, "High-resolution radar imaging of air targets from sparse azimuth data," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 48, No. 2, 1643-1655, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAES.2012.6178084
12. Piou, J. E., "A state-space technique for ultrawide-bandwidth coherent processing,", Technical Report TR 1054, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, 1999.
13. Piou, J. E., "A state identification method for 1-D measurements with gaps," AIAA Guidance Navigation and Control Conference, 1-11, San Francisco, California, 2005.
14. Cetin, M. and W. C. Karl, "Feature-enhanced synthetic aperture radar image formation based on nonquadratic regularization," IEEE Trans. Image Process., Vol. 10, No. 4, 623-631, 2001. doi:10.1109/83.913596
15. Cetin, M. and R. L. Moses, "SAR imaging from partial-aperture data with frequency-band omissions," Proceedings of the SPIE Defense and Security Symposium, Orlando, FL, 2005.
16. Mayhan, J. T., M. L. Burrows, K. M. Cuomo, and J. E. Piou, "High resolution 3D snapshot ISAR imaging and feature extraction," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 37, No. 2, 630-650, 2001. doi:10.1109/7.937474
17. Park, J.-I. and K.-T. Kim, "A comparative study on ISAR imaging algorithms for radar target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 155-175, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10071901
18. Naishadham, K. and J. E. Piou, "A robust state space model for the characterization of extended returns in radar target signatures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1742-1751, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.916932
19. He, F. Y. and X. J. Xu, "A comparative study of two scattering center models," IEEE 11th International Conference on Signal Processing, 1931-1935, Beijing, 2012.
20. Akaike, H., "A new look at the statistical model identification," IEEE Trans. Autom. Control., Vol. 19, No. 6, 716-723, 1974. doi:10.1109/TAC.1974.1100705
21. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 33, No. 2, 387-392, 1985. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1985.1164557
22. Piou, J. E., "System realization using 2-D output measurements," Proceedings of the 2004 American Control Conference, 2840-2845, Boston, MA, USA, Jun. 2004.
23. Michaeli, A., "Equivalent edge currents for arbitrary aspects of observation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 3, 252-258, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143303
24. Ausherman, D. A., A. Kozma, J. L. Walker, et al. "Developments in radar imaging," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 20, No. 4, 363-400, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAES.1984.4502060