A novel multi-band circular polarizer is proposed by using a bilayered chiral metamaterial (CMM). The unit cell of the CMM is composed of four Archimedean spiral structures, which are twisted 90° to each other in the upper and bottom layers. When a linearly polarized wave incidents on this circular polarizer, the simulation result shows that the transmission of right circularly polarized (RCP) wave can be obtained at 14.28 GHz and 15.96 GHz, while the transmission of left circularly polarized (LCP) wave is emitted at 15.3 GHz and 16.88 GHz. The retrieval results reveal that the effective refractive index of the CMM closes to zero or negative at the vicinity of four resonances. The experimental results are in good agreement with the numerical results.
"Multi-Band Circular Polarizer Using Archimedean Spiral Structure Chiral Metamaterial with Zero and Negative Refractive Index," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 141, 645-657, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13063003
1. Burlak, G., "Spectrum of Cherenkov radiation in dispersive metamaterials with negative refraction index," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 149-158, 2012.
2. Sabah, C., H. T. Tastan, F. Dincer, K. Delihacioglu, M. Karaaslan, and E. Unal, "Transmission tunneling through the multi-layer double-negative and double-positive slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 293-306, 2013.
3. Canto, J. R., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Dispersion and losses in surface waveguides containing double negative or chiral metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 409-423, 2011.
5. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1133628
6. Gansel, J., M. Thiel, M. S. Rill, M. Decker, K. Bade, V. Saile, G. von Freymann, S. Linden, and M. Wegener, "Gold helix photonic metamaterial as broadband circular polarizer," Science, Vol. 325, No. 5947, 1513-1515, 2009. doi:10.1126/science.1177031
7. Li, J., F.-Q. Yang, and J.-F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
8. Zhao, R., T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials: Retrieval of the effective parameters with and without substrate," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, No. 14, 14553-14567, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.014553
9. Decker, M., R. Zhao, C. M. Soukoulis, S. Linden, and M.Wegener, "Twisted split-ring-resonator photonic metamaterial with huge optical activity," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 10, 1593-1595, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.001593
10. Wang, B., J. Zhou, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials: Simulations and experiments," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 11, 114003, 2009. doi:10.1088/1464-4258/11/11/114003
11. Sabah, C. and H. G. Roskos, "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11112605
12. Cao, T. and M. J. Cryan, "Circular dichroism in planar nonchiral metamaterial made of elliptical nanoholes array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1275-1282, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.697849
13. Mutlu, M., A. E. Akosman, A. E. Serebryannikov, and E. Ozbay, "Asymmetric chiral metamaterial circular polarizer based on four U-shaped split ring resonators," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 9, 1653-1655, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.001653
14. Huang, C., J. Zhao, T. Jiang, and Y. Feng, "Asymmetric transmission of linearly polarized electromagnetic wave through chiral metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 8/9, 1192-1202, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.710568
15. Cheng, Y., Y. Nie, L. Wu, and R. Z. Gong, "Giant circular dichroism and negative refractive index of chiral metamaterial based on split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 421-432, 2013.
16. Song, K., X. P. Zhao, Q. H. Fu, Y. H. Liu, and W. R. Zhu, "Wide-angle 90o-polarization rotator using chiral metamaterial with negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14/15, 1967-1976, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.723673
17. Ma, X., C. Huang, M. B. Pu, Y. Q.Wang, Z. Y. Zhao, C. T.Wang, and X. G. Luo, "Dual-band asymmetry chiral metamaterial based on planar spiral structure," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 101, 161901-161904, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.4756901
18. Zhou, J., J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 121104-4, 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.121104
19. Zarifi, D., M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "A novel dual-band chiral metamaterial structure with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2/3, 251-263, 2012. doi:10.1163/156939312800030767
20. Wu, Z., B. Q. Zhang, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metamaterial with negative index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791285173
21. Ma, X., C. Huang, M. B. Pu, C. G. Hu, Q. Feng, and X. G. Luo, "Multi-band circular polarizer using planar spiral metamaterial structure," Opt. Express,, Vol. 20, No. 14, 16050-16058, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.016050
22. Dong, J., J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. Soukoulis, "Bi-layer cross chiral structure with strong optical activity and negative refractive index," Optics Express, Vol. 17, No. 16, 14172-14179, 2009. doi:10.1364/OE.17.014172
23. Plum, E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 3, 035407(6), 2009. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.79.035407
24. Rogacheva, A. V., V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, and N. I. Zheludev, "Giant gyrotropy due to electromagnetic-field coupling in a bilayered chiral structure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, 177401, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.97.177401
25. Plum, E., V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, N. I. Zheludev, and Y. Chen, "Giant optical gyrotropy due to electromagnetic coupling," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, No. 22, 223113, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2745203
26. Zarifi, D., M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "Dual-band multiband chiral metamaterial structures with strong optical activity and negative refraction index," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Progagation Letters, Vol. 11, 334-337, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2191261
27. Ye, Y., X. Li, F. Zhuang, and S. W. Chang, "Homogeneous circular polarizers using a bilayered chiral metamaterial," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 99, No. 3, 031111, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3615054
28. Li, Z., R. Zhao, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, K. B. Alici, E. Colak, H. Caglayan, E. Ozbay, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four ``U" split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 8, 081901(3), 2010.
29. Ranga, Y., L. Matekovits, S. G. Hay, and T. S. Bird, "An anisotropic impedance surface for dual-band linear-to-circular transmission polarization convertor," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, (IWAT2013), 47-50, 2013.
30. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Y. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
31. Nejadmalayeri, A. and P. R. Herman, "Ultrafast laser waveguide writing: Lithium niobate and the role of circular polarization and picosecond pulse width," Opt. Lett., Vol. 31, 2987-2989, 2006. doi:10.1364/OL.31.002987
32. Nasimuddin, X. Qing, Z. N. Chen, and , "Compact circularly polarized symmetric-slit microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 1, 285-288, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090468
33. Sze, J., K. L. Wong, and C. C. Huang, "Coplanar waveguide-fed square slot antenna for broadband circularly polarized radiation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 8, 2141-2144, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815421
34. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09012901
35. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11110506
36. Liseikina, T. and A. Macchi, "Features of ion acceleration by circularly polarized laser pulses," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 91, No. 17, 171502, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2803318
37. Huang, C., X. L. Ma, M. B. Pu, G. W. Yi, Y. Q. Wang, and X. G. Luo, "Dual-band 90o polarization rotator using twisted split ring resonators array," Optics Communications, Vol. 291, 345, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2012.10.046